The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bar grates on the 2188 I purchased last summer to finish up wheat harvest. When I had a Case/IH dealership run it through the shop in early fall the service tech recommended I replace these grates with the slotted ones for wheat harvest. After doing all the reading on cover plates for the concaves, is there anything available for the grates, or should I still look for a used set of slotted grates for my wheat? I have both large and small wire concave sets available.
thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
When we had 2188's it would depend on the yield of the wheat. If it was under 80 bushels we would run three small wire grates, but sometimes if it was yielding above 80 we might switch the last small wire to a large wire grate, depending on if we were throwing it out the back over the rotor, or if it was trashy we would stick with the three small wires. But always ran interrupter bars 10 on the first concave, 10 on the second and 5 on the third. starting at the top on the reclean side of the machine. Worked well in tough thrashing conditions.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Me either!...LOL

Well Jim as you can see by my posts, I'll be trying the cover plates. I'll see if I blowed $205. There is no partial cover plates that I know of for the "seperator grates" If I were you, I'd be trying to find the "slotted" grates for wheat. I'll be seeing a fella Saturday night that might have some for sale. I'll let you know. I've got 2 sets of "Keystock" grates that are worthless to me as I think they allow tooooooo much trash to fall through. If you've followed my posts, you will see that I'm going to run slotted grates for the fall crops also. Tried the "keystock" in milo and got toooo many leaves and stem piece's in the bin.

Larry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry,
Too bad I dropped your call today, as it was interesting talking with you. Must be some dead areas on the way south of Hutchinson. Still waiting to hear a return email from the person with the Loewen slotted grates. Now, are you running the large wire concaves for wheat, and just putting the cover plates in? IF so, what brand/type did you buy?
Jim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jim, yes it was too bad we had the dropped call. Would have liked to have visited with you more. I'm going to try the large wire Case/IH concaves and I just purchased Gordens cover plates to cover the front 1 1/2 concaves. In fact they just showed up 2 days ago. Look real simple to install AFTER you do it the first time....got some "quick attached" items that have to go on the first time so will be required to pull them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts