The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ran side by side or own comparable STS machines with SLS and A standard Shoe. I'm not so much interested in the performance of the leveling system, but losses and throughput, since you lose cleaning area with the SLS. Trying to figure out if a customer of mine should go with or without SLS.

Thanks,

·
Registered
367 Posts
Depends on the terrain and how hard you're already pushing the shoe. We all know that the combine certainly doesn't have any shoe capacity to spare, but in sloping and varied terrain (whatever that is), you do keep more grain from getting shoveled out the back as the combine is pitching fore/aft, left/right with the SLS or even just the rubber flaps. If you are mostly flat with only occasional areas of slopes and have a good, astute operator who recognizes the limits of the machine and knows enough to slow down in those areas, then without will be of most benefit most of the time.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Good to see John Deere using at least one of the seventeen patents acquired in 1995 from the Bi-rotor combine development by Agri-Technology group out in Kansas.
Patent 5282771 was issued 1-Feb-94 Combine Sieve Leveling Apparatus

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parse....1&RS=PN/5282771

The lateral distributor was also designed to enhance rotary combine performance and could be helpful on steeper slopes beyond 15 degrees.
Patent 5338257 was issued16-Aug-94 Combine Sieve Distributor apparatus

Perhaps they will use more of the Bi-Rotor threshing and dual path grainhandling features on their new combines for MY2012.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts