The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
My Neighbors canola, they seed about 700 acres of canola, my other neighbor has hives all over the place, this year will be a boom, i saw bees still at this time of year with all the late crops and wild flowers, this guy shipped a sea container full of drums full of honey in a year, the canola neighbors are super pissed, since most of it comes off of his crops with no compensation ever. Can you imagine making $60,000 off of the bank, or a seed company. I think it is theft personally, if you really think about it that is a lot to take from a person regardless how, it is his plants to profit from.
Does the canola not benefit from honey pollinating it? I really have no clue. Surely the canola grower would not have incurred a loss due the honey bees.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I read a study a couple of years ago that said that the old OP canola can out yield the newer hybrids if there are enough bees present.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I agree with my neighbors it is money off of their crops and it isn't pocket change. They have not notice any change in yield since he moved in so the benefit is manly one way on his plants. also the principal of it, it is not his nectar to harvest for profit, it is the farmers to profit or put back in the ground.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
All right , I’ve run some ball park numbers, looks like it would take up wards of 50k to get this 80 acres worked(worst case) includes harvest equipment(20k)custom work(2.5k), crop inputs(200/acre), and some extra $$$ for what ever I’ve forgotten or comes up like break downs. Crop inputs are high but based on worst case from a local seed/ chem dealer. I’m taking advice from combine pilot and will try to find an older smaller grain truck, it might not keep up to the combine, but will ask a neighbor if he could lend out a bin for a few days, plan would be to bring it to the bin during harvesting and haul it away the next morning while the dew is on or bad weather. I figure would only need 2 days for harvest(breakdown dependant, lol) this is for the first year only. Hopefully we have a good year and break even, if it’s a great year we would pay some of the line of credit and get ready for the next year, lol. This is based on wheat, was thinking acc Brandon......still a initial plan, problay lots of Holes in it, but need to start somewhere......I’m looking for things I’ve forgotten, could improve, or criticism, so far you’ve been a great help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Harvest equipment price is based on what I could find that looked decent on the web. About 10k for combine(included pick up and straight cut headers) 10 for grain truck.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
When i harvest on my far fields i shut the combine off and go unload the truck, go to the washroom have a sandwich go back out, Grease my variable speed while the engines off, and go fill up the truck again.
When i am close to the yard it makes sense to leave the truck backed up to the auger and drive the combine home to the truck unload go back out. even if i have to road a little, that way i don't need to go get equipment on the field, and it takes the same amount of time, and if i need to check or repair something, i am by my shop, no field fixes. There is no mad panic on my yard, sometimes i even stop to takes pictures od the sunset. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Great pics ! How do you like the 550, found one around here for a decent price, looks to be in decent shape. I don’t know much about the Massey’s. There’s only 1 farm that uses them around here. Can you still find parts ?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I was just going to bring up equipment brands when I seen those pics. You had mentioned earlier about getting a John Deere, I was going to mention looking for a Massey. Around here you can find decent machines quite cheep, and they were very good machines. Sometimes even find 2 for one kind of deals. There were so many of them around at one time , 550,750,760,850,860's, parts will be around forever even if using used parts.

Your combine looks mint, Combine Pilot, nice pictures! Beautiful country it looks like too!

·
Registered
49 Posts
We used to run an 860 massey. It did the job but wasnt really outstanding. When it went (walker into the chopper) we got a tr96. It has been the most dependable combine so far on this farm and easily out performs the massey in sample quality and capacity. Only bad thing I can say about them is mice love them. If you can find one without mice they're easily 10k or cheaper in my area. Also if your spending 10k on a truck go for a tandem. It will be worth it compared to a 3 ton. If you're worried about shutting the combine down to unload find a farm king swing out auger. There's nothing to them and unload speed is a major factor in harvesting faster. They seem to be the cheapest

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you look around you will find older stuff that is in amazing shape that guys are not willing to sell for scrap on principle. Some of those combines are in pristine condition. I know of a couple of Massey Super 92's not that far from you that are in almost as good of a condition as when they left the dealership.

I got a TR96 a few years ago with a minor gremlin in it for $5,000 that has run for three years without any major repairs that were it's fault. Even the gremlin was a relatively minor thing. If you are good at finding gremlins some pretty good deals can be had in any price range.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
How much consideration would you guys put into dealership location, I believe the closest Massey dealer from me is around 2 hours away. I’ve got 2 green dealerships within 30 min, and 2 red dealers with in 40.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am a small farmer as well. I work full time and have a mechanical trade, and as others have been saying, with older equipment you need to be able to fix it yourself or it can get expensive.

Just because you run older equipment doesn’t mean you can’t use some newer tech with it either. I put cameras in my air seeder tank because they save me so much time walking back to check the levels and also help me set the metering more accurately. I have a GPS with mapping in my old tractor because it pays for itself and allows me to run more at night which happens when you work full time off farm.

I say go for it if you have a good plan. You can make some money from it but it wont make you rich and you will probably end up putting it all back into the farm.

As far as equipment goes. It doesn’t matter the brand at all as long as its reliable. However i do prefer John Deere a bit myself because I worked at a dealership and am familiar with them and their parts availability is next to none even with all the old equipment.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A young neighbor starting out did exactly what your thinking about. He too is a mechanic and can fix his own stuff. His purchases were a NH TX 36 $4500, Case 4890 $8000, Morris 8900 40ft. air seeder $6000, 1981 IH truck 15ft. box $6200, IH 5000 24.5 ft. swather $5000, AC 8050 2wd for $7000. For a sprayer he picked up an old Versatile 555 4wd. converted to a sprayer for $5000. He added GPS to the sprayer which was more then the unit itself. He picked up a Brandt 10/60 grain auger for $1500 that needed a new gear box. So there you have it, it can be done he's been farming now for 9 years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thats awesome, it’s encouraging to hear about other small farms/ start ups being successful. The smallest in my area would be 800acres. Only goes up from there, hard to believe there are multiple 10000+ as well.

What are your thoughts on chem application, what would you consider a must vs wants vs need. I’d like to hear from guys who actually use the stuff, unlike the guys who sell the stuff.

The chem guys were pretty admitted about using a lot of different chem with multiple applications. Herbicides, pesticides, fungicide, manipulator......was a little overwhelming and expansive, but they are there to make money as well so I get it.

I know grandpa didn’t have access to all that chem!

If you guys want to break it down by crop that would be awesome, also different variables, wet/dry......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I’m waiting for the beans to come off so I can get a soil sample done. Then we can talk fert, lol

41 - 60 of 104 Posts