The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S780 that do some wheat with. I shave the ground so I get the most straw and windrow it. Question is for your guys running with the chopper in the up position to windrow the straw, are you turning your cleaning fan down because the air can flow thru the combine alot easier? I get alot of grain on my rear axle and they say it's from blowing the wheat out the back. Thanks for any help.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
Pretty hard to blow wheat out
What fan speed are you on?
Are you useing Automation?

JD’s always have grain on their rear axle doesn’t matter if it’s a 9760 or an S780

it’s probably rotor loss anyway if your cutting straw. The rotor area is maxed out just cutting heads let alone straw

simple test would be to slow the fan down until it gets a bit grubby in the tank then check the rear again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty hard to blow wheat out
What fan speed are you on?
Are you useing Automation?

JD’s always have grain on their rear axle doesn’t matter if it’s a 9760 or an S780

it’s probably rotor loss anyway if your cutting straw. The rotor area is maxed out just cutting heads let alone straw

simple test would be to slow the fan down until it gets a bit grubby in the tank then check the rear again
Thanks for the response.
Fan was at 1100. Ran with and without automation. Nice tank sample, just hate seeing all that loose grain on the axle. Makes no sense how it even gets there.
Motor vehicle Wood Plant Grass Automotive tire

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
That looks like serious overload on RHS of the sieves
Are you repeating much thru the returns?

do a stall stop and have a look in there

your not going to blow that out at 1100rpm
Maybe you need more? Maybe the chaff isn’t lifting? Again the stall stop will give you a good idea what’s happening in there. Iam not familiar with the 700 series cleaning system, last S I was involved with was an early 690

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I know you're wanting to use the straw for hay but you may want to move your separator vanes to standard. Helps with rotor loss. Also open the last 20 inches of chaffer up if you're not already running too much through the returns. That adjustment has to be done manually on the back of the chaffer. Don't be afraid to run half full tailings on the indicator.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. Axle is lowered, so its as high in the rear as it will go. Have a bullet rotor, so I cannot change vane angle. Had a 670 with same issues. I was told to close the rear extension quite a bit to direct more air to the front if the chaffer. Not saying right or wrong, that's just what many have said. Returns are half or less. Does a good job cleaning, just loose mote than I would like to see.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
If it’s thrashing easily you may want to try larger concaves.
Like a round bar or large wire in no:3
What is your concave setup?
Feed accelerator on slow?, So you can a run a little more rotor rpm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feeder house sprocket 26.
Feed acc. on slow
Rotor 950
Concave 7
Fan 1100
Chaeffer 16
Sieve 6
670 I ran with a small wire in front, every other wire pulled in 2nd and 3rd.
780 was kondex max thresh in front 3, max.round in back 3 last year.
This year going to try estes xprs. Will be combining in a month I would guess. Just trying to get things lined up a little better. 45' head. I believe I went 3.5-4 mph last year in 70 bushel wheat. No matter what I change for setting, doesn't seem to get better or worse. Showed the deere tech that picture I posted on here. Said it was the fan blowing it out because it was all thrashed on the axle. I never went under 1,000 rpm, he suggested going to 900. Then the next guy will say it's hard to blow wheat out. I know that one combine settings won't work on another, just trying to get ideas. Thanks for your input phantom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts