The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone's 278-330 Models steigers have the very same problem?

nuts it...the engine speeds up and then slows down and then you go fwd.. or reverse

I was told it had to rev up its rpms or the tractor would kill itself???

that sounds like dumb doesnt it? I mean seriously why couldn't they have left that alone.. (sounds like overthinking to me)

Also does everyone's shift really hard???

I did get it recalibrated and its better but every so often bam!!!

A guy i know said they got a 330 to try and it doesn't rev up and down but it still was ruff on the takeing off.

They tried a green one and it shifted great...they just didn't like anything else about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had a guy that absolutely hated that throttle thing when shifting from park... Uploaded some older software into the ECM's I believe, it will solve that.

--Edit-- I am unsure it was ECM we changed, however I know we downgraded some software...

·
Registered
619 Posts
The 280's and the 330's were not suppose to do the rpm drop and surge like the old 275's 325's when shuttled. I would be having someone look into that farther if it were mine. The new STX's I have driven with the PWM valves shift very smooth compared to the previous series so something does not sound right with what you are describing on yours.
Ditto on the ECM's needing to be reloaded and check BOTH (clean and regular voltage systems )ground wire connections from the cab to the frame, can cause what you describe.

·
Registered
929 Posts
We had a MX 200 briefly on our farm that did something similar when shifting. It would shift smooth for a while and then out of blue "BAM" it would literally smack you into the steering wheel downshifting. We had it for about 3-4 months and ended up getting a good deal on an MX 255 so we got rid of it. They said they ended up finding a glitch in the transmission software but I still don't think that tractor was ever right.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that had to be a issue on the Mx thats not common.

Well i might talk to my dealer some more...IM not sure if they can upgrade anything on this model to help.

Or were you saying they could?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also i might have forgotten to state he said the 330 they tried didn't do the rpm thing...

Rev up and down. so it was better but still wasn't overly impressed..

I wish case would fix this and come out and upgrade the tractors.. it sure would keep from problems down the road im sure.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thats what we had before.... they come out and recalibrated the electronic clutch (heck if i know what they call it)

and its cured that....

So id have them come out and hook up the laptop and recalibrate it..

Cause ours did that and your right it was annoying and well..didn't seem right

its alot better since they did it.. just every so often BAM it hits the gear hard..

Let me know if that cures it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
We had a STX 325 which did the power down thing whenever switching from Forward/Reverse. Real PITA when used on a Grain Cart!!!!

We just got a STX 335 a couple of weeks ago and am glad to say that it does not do it.

We have noticed that whenever changing gears, there is a noticeable delay before the actual gear change happens. I would say it is about 2-3 seconds. Probably not a problem and really only a little annoying. I'm sure we'll get used to it soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
just bought a new330 here in Oz and happy to say it is an awesome tractor very smooth shifting and none of that speed change mentioned have done 28 hrs only and have to say they have got everything right big difference to the old Steiger Bearcat

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had a stx330 since new in 2008, and had been led to believe its just the way they are. Had the dealer out on two occasions, laptop, calibrate, drive around, heat up oil etc. Really only revs up when putting in reverse. But reading the old threads this may not be the case? Every now and again BAM! it certainly jolts when shifting through the gears, particularly when splitting from even to odd gears and back again. Had similar troubles with our Puma 155 with occasional delay and rough gear changes. The 330 is also very loud and rough at idle and we usually have to bump revs up a little to about 1000rpm when stationary, something to do with hydraulic return valve? Other than that 2800hrs on the clock and it has been a very reliable and trouble free tractor. Same goes for the 155 after 3600 hours. 8850jd, I would be interested in fixing that's for sure

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I am looking at removing the caps fuel system.. but to get it to shuttle shift it needs to rev up like that... seems like the engine just isnt big enough to power threw the shift..
The only draw back to the mechanical pump is this reving up and down to allow the shuttle to shift.. seems stupid and there should be a program to stop it from doing that... instead of reving make the low idle higher..?

·
Registered
68 Posts
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...WT3YEo&usg=AFQjCNEKTwmQwdIs-L7e6AgUeDLpi6Euzg

Just had a quick look to learn about the caps fuel system. I must have got lucky so far. Not sure if this thread will work for you, but they chat about the caps in the Magnums.
I have lived with it that long now that I don't know any better. I just assumed the 330 was made for lugging and not for much else. Backing up to hook up is the worst of it, cause the clutch is pretty touchy also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts