The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a 2/3 corn 1/3 soybean rotation would going to the small tube rotor in a new ordered 7010/8010 be worth it? The concept is great in soybeans but are they ready for corn?

·
Registered
929 Posts
You won't notice it much in corn. We struggled with it a little bit at first but that was probably because we came from a specialty rotor 2388 going to our 7010 last fall.
In my opinion... It doesn't hurt in corn and it helps A LOT in beans so I would get it. Never know beans might become a higher percent of our planted acres in the future... might as well be ready for them.

I am in the same boat as you... 1/4 beans 3/4 corn but I am still glad I have it. Pushing a 36ft draper at 5.5mph in 60+ bu 13-14% beans last fall with tons of green stems was really nice. I want to get those d**n things in the bin asap or they are 8-9% before you know it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Did the small tube rotor put corn out the back or was that not your problem?

Is the small tube option even offered for a corn/soy machine? Or do you or your dealer have to "know" somebody to get it?

·
Registered
929 Posts
The only seperation problem we ever had was rotor loss. We thought it might be the rotor but after talking to all our neighbors that seemed to be very typical of the conditions no matter what combine. Some neighbors running 2377, 2388's and 8010's.
We found you could run the rotor faster without compromising grain quality and we had to fully retard all the vanes that pretty much took care of it. We ran Kuchar grates in the front half and really liked them as well.
Its hard for me to say definetively that it wasn't any worse in corn then a standard afx rotor because we never ran one. But once we got on to setting the new machine we were very happy with our field loss.
This was all in 20% M corn running 200-250bpa. Once it got below 20% you could go as fast as you could keep it on the row.

We felt it was enough better in beans that it was well worth having.

I think my dealer called it an unlisted option or something along those lines. If you want it in a Corn/Bean machine i think you just have to ask.

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I ordered my 2588, my dealer told me he didn't think he could get it in my machine. He also told me that I would be extremely dissapointed in corn because of rotor loss. Maybe he just doesn't know what he is talking about and this was an easy way out. As of now I have an AFX coming, but maybe that will change!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Stupid question, but can ya even order the old standard rotor anymore?

I know I'm the odd duck but I still think that the old standard rotor is still by far the best there is in corn. So easy to get whole cobs and its pretty much impossible to get rotor loss.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Does anyone have a technical description and comparison of this "small rotor"? Is the main tube smaller? Just what is different? Is the rotor the same in a 7010/8010? Kinda feel like I'm in the twilight zone on this.
Thanks.

Don

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:Does anyone have a technical description and comparison of this "small rotor"? Is the main tube smaller? Just what is different? Is the rotor the same in a 7010/8010? Kinda feel like I'm in the twilight zone on this.
Thanks.

Don

The "small tube" rotor has a smaller diameter skin and taller rasp bars. It was originally designed for heavy MOG crops like edible beans. The extra distance between the concaves and the rotor skin allows the crop mat to flow through without being squished. Thus it takes less power to run, and it allows the crop to tumble and thresh properly since the heavy MOG (stems & straw) tends to run between the rasp bars.

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
Quote:
Quote:Does anyone have a technical description and comparison of this "small rotor"? Is the main tube smaller? Just what is different? Is the rotor the same in a 7010/8010? Kinda feel like I'm in the twilight zone on this.
Thanks.

Don

The "small tube" rotor has a smaller diameter skin and taller rasp bars. It was originally designed for heavy MOG crops like edible beans. The extra distance between the concaves and the rotor skin allows the crop mat to flow through without being squished. Thus it takes less power to run, and it allows the crop to tumble and thresh properly since the heavy MOG (stems & straw) tends to run between the rasp bars.

Thanks afxguy
Is this something their going to offer on all models (small grain, corn, rice) or just certian models?
Is it in the testing stage or is it going to become standard?

Don

·
Registered
504 Posts
Neihgbor got his new 7010 in fall of 07. Its got the small tube rice rotor in it. He cut milo, rice, and soybeans with it and all he's done is rave about how good it is in all three crops. He doesn't raise corn so can't say there. Lots of "rice" rotors out there cutting corn this past year around here. Thats what we used when we grew corn and got along fine with it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Quote: This was all in 20% M corn running 200-250bpa. Once it got below 20% you could go as fast as you could keep it on the row.

We felt it was enough better in beans that it was well worth having.

You running a 12-30 corn head?

·
Registered
929 Posts
No b575, just an 8 row head. I would be curious to run a 12 row head on it. It would toy with our 8 row head but I wouldn't think you would win too many races with a 12 row head in higher moisture corn.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I got a look at one that was in an 8010. It didn't look that different. The rasp bars stand up a little more, maybe one to two inches taller (that's what it looked like to me). I kinda think that this is the CIH answer to Deere's expanded rotor design.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks afxguy
Is this something their going to offer on all models (small grain, corn, rice) or just certian models?
Is it in the testing stage or is it going to become standard?

Don

It's still in development for the 7010/8010.
Not sure about the 2577/2588.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would get some pictures of it but my combine is at my dealers getting some warranty work done.

They did it in a few 2588's last fall... not sure where.

Not sure how we got it. They mostly wanted to get them in the hands of guys that had more then one machine so they could compare them side by side. We only run the one machine but they asked if we were interested when we ordered it.

Another thing... I can't remember the numbers but it has about 1/2 the rasp bars of the AFX rotor as well if I remember correctly. Its not just an AFX rotor on a smaller tube. There are some other differences. Wish I had the numbers for you. Speaking of that we were supposed to get an operators manual for the rotor but we never did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts