The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am currently looking at purchasing a R72 with a 36 foot McDon header. This is way too big for my land. 24 or 25 is the max I could go. I don't know very much about Gleaners as I have been using a JD95 for the last 20 years and I only crop 200 acres per year. Is it possible to find a 24 or 25 foot header to suit the R72? Did Gleaner make that size? Would a header off a N series fit straight on? I don't have much money to invest as I only harvest 200 acres a year max.
Thanks for your advice Scott.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The earlier 300 series header you could get in 24 foot and then they later went to 25 foot in the 400 series I believe. I don't remember all the series numbers but we have had 24, 25, 27, and 30 foot in the fixed cutterbar headers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The earlier 300 series header you could get in 24 foot and then they later went to 25 foot in the 400 series I believe. I don't remember all the series numbers but we have had 24, 25, 27, and 30 foot in the fixed cutterbar headers.
Thanks for the help. Were those headers on an n series rotary? Would they fit straight on an r72 do you think?
:)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Give Equipment Services a ring at Condobolin 02 68954222, they may have something or Mckees at Elmore Vic. For what reason is a 36' to big

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give Equipment Services a ring at Condobolin 02 68954222, they may have something or Mckees at Elmore Vic. For what reason is a 36' to big
Thanks for your help, I am waiting for equipment services to ring me back, I rang them yesterday morning. I am up in the tablelands near Inverell. We have small rocky paddocks with farm over or roll over banks. Even 30 foot is too big. Will the fronts off the N series fit on an r72? Currently I can only find one 27 foot front at a wrecker for sale.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yup. A header from a N will fit on an R. The older headers had the hydraulics powered from the header itself with the pump being powered from the drive shaft on the RH side of the header. So you won't be using the hydraulic hook-ups on your 72 as the older headers were self-contained so to speak

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There is a ex agco dealer at West Wyalong that has some fronts sitting there. I couldn't answer your fitting question but jackaroo has. Equipment services repair draper fronts. They might tell you what s involved to shorten yours. Putting a tin front on is going backwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a ex agco dealer at West Wyalong that has some fronts sitting there. I couldn't answer your fitting question but jackaroo has. Equipment services repair draper fronts. They might tell you what s involved to shorten yours. Putting a tin front on is going backwards.
Thank you for taking time to help me with this. I will chase it up today and see what I can find. You have been a great help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup. A header from a N will fit on an R. The older headers had the hydraulics powered from the header itself with the pump being powered from the drive shaft on the RH side of the header. So you won't be using the hydraulic hook-ups on your 72 as the older headers were self-contained so to speak
Thanks for your advice and knowledge on this topic. I don't know anything about Gleaners but always wanted one. It's good to know this information as now I can look at older fronts as well. I will still try and get a quote to shorten the 36 but from my enquiries so far it may not be a viable option. Thank you

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Cutting down a header is very much harder than it looks. Especially a draper head. Some people have put JD heads on Gleaners, if you can't find a Gleaner head.

FYI-- if you plan on running on the ground in "flex" mode, only the heads for the Rx2 thru 1997 have the AHHC right sensor. Newer heads will also work mechanically on that combine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, worse case there may be plenty of 30 foot tin fronts around that could be chopped down more easily.

·
Registered
439 Posts
How are you going to keep an R72 working to capacity with a small head. You are going to have to drive 5mph +. Much better to slow down with a larger head. I think 30 would be the smallest you want For that combine. IMO

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
drp--OP pointed out the issue is anything over 25' won't work on his land . He's not worrying about keeping the combine full...he's interested in getting the head to fit between the terraces, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How are you going to keep an R72 working to capacity with a small head. You are going to have to drive 5mph +. Much better to slow down with a larger head. I think 30 would be the smallest you want For that combine. IMO
my country is too undulating to run a 30 foot. I was hoping to close everything down enough to still get a decent sample from the r72.
drp--OP pointed out the issue is anything over 25' won't work on his land . He's not worrying about keeping the combine full...he's interested in getting the head to fit between the terraces, etc.
Thanks jeff, my country is hilly black soil with rocks and contour banks ,both farm over and peaky pushed. The distance between some banks is 130 feet. These banks are harvested and each side is about 15 feet max, with a channel on the top side to drain water. It is also steep dropping into this 15 foot channel as the field is sloping. Bays are down to 3 acres each. The other option is to get another slightly larger 40 year old jd7720 or similar. I thought a rotary and a gleaner would do a better job on sloping country while also being newer. A local contractor uses a jd 9650 or similar, not sure of the number. He has a 40 foot header for the western flat country he harvests but an old 22 foot 200 series for my area. I also grow milo or sorghum and I will be able to go faster with that crop than wheat and use some of the machines capacity. At my location we only get 4 hours a day to harvest sorghum. This is where my current harvester is way too small and the big combine would be useful.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm running a 25 ft header on a 97 r72. It's not a N series header, believe it's a 800 series (maybe not sure). It has the bigger auger compared to whatever was in the previous model. In lighter spring wheat it's not enough header, run the stick full tilt. It is nice for cutting terraces. Ended up with it because I got a good deal on it, wish I would have gone bigger though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slewis thats very good to know. Thanks for the reply. My wheat normally yields 40 to 60 bushels to the acre, which will be isn't much. Milo twice that much though. I will look for a 30 foot as well. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts