The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contest.... Who has the most snow on formaly standing crops?

Here in northern Montana I have 2-3" of wet slop on top of too green to swath hybred seed canola, and same on not swathed 100+ bushel 20%+ irrigated sprinng wheat. Forecast says 2-5" more, then clearing and low of 25 degrees friday..........

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is a contest that I'd be happy to lose. ;)

Also in northern MT, northeast corner of Blaine County and just south of the Canadian border. No snow here yet, and I see in this morning's forecast that none is expected today.

34° F this morning; supposed to get down to 28° tonight. We've had about 6" rain in the last 2 weeks. Have about 1200 acres of spring wheat left.

Mark

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Over 10" here and still coming down. We're screwed here Suposed to be -12 tomorrow night should make sure we're finished. If it does get warm and melt the snow it is going to be so muddy can't get in with a swather anyway!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am sad to hear that you guys got all this snow. I went from swathing canola to straight cutting it for several years. After one early snowfall in 2010, i never again will leave my canola to straight cut. Swaths will dry but standing canola gets hurt real bad. imo. We as farmers all face weather challenges, and I feel for you.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
"0" so far but we got so much rain the roads are almost impassible, wow has it been wet the last month. Crops are still standing, hopefully will stay that way.

Be very happy to lose this contest :D.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't need a contest to tell me that my wheat and barley are both flat. If or when it freezes tonight, I believe it will be game over for anything growing that is still green. But, hey, its September, I knew this day was coming, I just wasn't sure which year it would come. Dang, I miss last year and the year before......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crop freeze

Most of the 4" of snow melted yesterday to expose lodged wheat and canola. 32 F at 10 pm, 30 at midnite, 28 at 4 am, 26 at 5 am and now at 7 am its at 24. Oh I forgot my weather station reads about 2 degrees high!

Think I'll just go and plant WW on acres harvested and p!ss on the crap thats left.....................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.