The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
We are just getting through corn tasseling down here and soybeans are still blooming right now
Just had to rub it in, didn't you?!!

Seen a black bear out of hibernation last Sunday, when I was out snowmobiling, not hard to spot him when there is no BEAR ground(pun intended!!) Still people out snowmobiling here, looking like a mid May start date unless things really turn around, long range not looking great.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We are just getting through corn tasseling down here and soybeans are still blooming right now
Just had to rub it in, didn't you?!!

Seen a black bear out of hibernation last Sunday, when I was out snowmobiling, not hard to spot him when there is no BEAR ground(pun intended!!) Still people out snowmobiling here, looking like a mid May start date unless things really turn around, long range not looking great.

Yea I couldn't help it but if it makes you feel better we have only had 1.2 inches of rain from January 1st and no rain in the forecast

·
Registered
809 Posts
Oh crap! no snow yesterday here, is anybody happy with weather/moisture? 12" now icy heavy snow left in fields. Hoping to seed in MAY at all!

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Cattle feed is getting freaking tight here. I can make May 5, trying to come up with a plan.
Only ever had feed stocks really tight once many years back where I ended up having to buy feed in, not a good feeling for sure, almost as bad as being short of water. Had a regular customer jump ship last fall and they bought their 200 bales hay from someone else last fall with no explanation or anything, loyalty is not a word that is in their vocabulary so you can imagine what my reaction to their decision was lol. I was doing some counts the other day and as things worked out since I started feeding in October, nice to have that extra feed on hand now today. Be at least a month before enough green here to turn anyone loose. I'm feeding over 70 white tails and a few moose cows and calves too, snow so deep and dense, there's just nothing for them yet. Got the deer on mostly oats now, had some tough slightly heated stuff I put in a pipeline sloop and parked it in the yard, just letting them self feed. Least they backed off a bit of going after what I got left of 2nd cut lol. They're so hungry they are coming into the yard even during the daytime, so strange to have them running thru the yard like that in the middle of the afternoon. Good thing my old dog is getting less attentive in one sense I suppose, otherwise they'd drive him nuts lol.

As someone else mentioned, frigging bears are waking up, not good, piss all for them to eat as well, gonna have to keep cows and calves close to home now for a while even if the snow melts.

·
Super Moderator
3,063 Posts
Interesting fact Dan, one of those “I didn’t know anyone kept track of that sort of thing” record.
Remember on the first day of spring early 2000’s Calgary set a record low “high” temp for the day, -18. Didn’t know about that either, long stretches of odd weather or noticeable anomalies get statistician attention.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Only ever had feed stocks really tight once many years back where I ended up having to buy feed in, not a good feeling for sure, almost as bad as being short of water.
Made 302 hay bales in 2016 and had 40 left over, rolled up 307 in 2017 for this winter and its looking like 10-30 short.

Fortunately using sorghum for seed corn isolation I ended up with more to chop there than usual, if I had just chopped corn I'd likely be out of that now. Thought I'd have half a bag of sorghum left but that's going to be gone too.

Then I rolled up a few less corn stalk bales, only 10 or so less giving me right at 100 new ones and 20ish old stock. Down to 40 of those and feeding and bedding with them, looking like they will be out too.

Glutton market is booked out for 3 weeks because of feed shortages but may be able to get wet distillers yet if needed.

I have never been in this position before and do not like it. No one has hay to spare, many have been out for weeks. Grass hay is $100+ per bale, alfalfa is $175+.

Coming in on a wing and a prayer under heavy fire right now.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Warming up down here nicely, but snow forecast for Monday. Ha. Today is +14 with a strong wind. Water and mud everywhere! Got quite a river working its way through my yard and out the drainage ditch. That said, once the ground warms up, I think a lot of the snow melt is going to soak in and disappear. I'm really not sure what to expect when we get going in a few (I hope) weeks. Could be soggy in places, could be bone dry in others. Definitely have three lakes to pump out, though. That will take a couple of weeks. This year I promise I'll do the drainage work I've been putting off for the last few relatively dry years.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think we are gonna lose a lot of fish and game, the lake ice is gonna stay till mid may, easily.

As far as fast or slow melt, I don't think it matters much, as we gotta get the btu's flowing as fast as possible!

·
Registered
562 Posts
That’s not going to speed up spring header testing!
No it sure isn't. Even though we are still getting snow, fields have lots of standing water showing through the snow. West of 814 (Beaumont hiway) there's a lots less snow with bare spots showing. It looks like fields are going to be just as wet as last year when we tried to harvest in the spring and gave up. Fields just couldn't support the combine. Who knows maybe the weather will turn warm and windy here and dry things out.

2 years in a row with crop out is very taxing on the nerves and pretty much guarantees us another late spring seeding and possibly harvest. Oh well on the bright side the canola that's out there looks like it did in the fall. It wintered very well compared to samples i saw last spring. Colour looks good and should grade well provided weather smartens up.

Well here's to hoping.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I wish you luck with the spring harvesting Brian..And anyone else in that predicament. Do you have other crops out? How do you think they have wintered with no thaw freeze events this year?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks Transaxial appreciate it

No Not many others. One fellow has 300 acres of barley out. It looks good for now. We have all canola out and standing still, well sort of. Thing to note here though is last spring i was one of the few that did manage to get nearly everything seeded (92%) while many only got about 60 to 80 % in. Many of those guys just finished the day it snow end of Oct. High amount of heated/damaged canola this year in our area due to very high moisture and green counts even after it was dried down. Did lots of drying for neighbours this winter.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Maybe this will help, but I doubt it.

Frickn bullsh!t weather.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Brian you may have to go to a 595 instead of a 590. Two years ago we were so wet we would not have finished without buying a used 595 that fall. It is unbelievable what they will go through with tracks compared to our 590. In soupy mud and water the track machines will leave some tire rut from the rear tires but the tracks stay on top quite well. Last year and this winter we have been very dry which is completley opposite to the 6 years before.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts