The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a bunch of grain in grain rings on the ground. Have used bin sweeps and vacs before and lots of shoveling with both. Anyone use a walk behind 2 stage snow blower? Hope to cut a lot of shoveling out and blow into the sweep. Do the blowers damage grain at all? Loading CPS and hard red wheat.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Neighbour used to use a walk-behind snowblower. Said it worked great.

We always did piles without any type of rings and then used a 3-point blower on the back of a tractor (CAB!!!). Also worked great, although we made the piles in the field and we found that you do need to dig the end of the auger out every now and then to clear straw from the auger intake. We always had the guard off, just the flighting cover on but it still plugs up every couple of loads.

Andrew

·
Registered
221 Posts
Snow blowers work good. Very little if no damage to the grain. Works fast and really cuts down on the shoveling. The only thing is they don't work so good if the grain is wet. But this has only been a problem with me storing feed grain in outside piles. Another thing that works good is a tractor and loader. Might not work best with the wheat if you scrape the ground. But yes a snow blower works great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have limited experience with small snow blower but have used a 3 point hitch one to load thousands and thousands of bushels from piles there awesome .Damage to grain is non existent .Simply blow the grain from the edge up on to the pile and it mixes in no problem .Grinds up the snow and mixes in as u go .I had a 84 inch John Deere blower mounted on a 75 horse power tractor just rite power 2 wheel drive not enough traction to tear things up and enough to blow grain 50 feet or more Would bury a 10 inch auger like nothing .Set the skid shoes and go to it followed up with a stiff brissell broom and u were good .Yes a cab is a must and very dirty in a Quonset but have since bought a skid steer for that . The blower had twin cross augers and a three blade impeller to throw it up the chute put a orbit motor to control the chute rotation and a small ram to tip top of chute when not blowing far .Probably rebuilt it 3or 4 times the grain is quite abrasive .Dont know if a small blower would have enough power but I wouldn't be afraid to try it .Works many times better than a loader with a pipe on the bucket and no chunks of any size to plug auger .Just my 2 cents .

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
My vote would be the loader approach, if you have room to move. I have moved grain out of our shed a half dozen times and it works really good. I have concrete, but if you're careful not to dig too bad, it should work well. The best part is that it's not near as dirty as with a blower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.