The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A grain company that will remain nameless is coming out with a “program” to collect all cropping information as it pertains to the crop being purchased in season to boot. Right down to fertility program you name it.

Haven’t meet up with them yet on it but understand it’s a voluntary pilot.

Now imagine how handy it would be for the grain company to have all our yield data in hand when it comes to bidding for said crop.

So now I’m working on a politically correct way to say blow me to a bunch of big wig’s from the grain company....:22:

Probably other’s have the same “invite”. Interested on how they are going to deal with it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Satellites take pictures of your farm probably daily.

Land maps show who owns what land. If land is rented it's pretty easy to find out who is renting it.

Satellite maps are scarily accurate to predicting yield. Might not be accurate to an exact bushel per acre but it'll be pretty close.

In that other thread BrianTee said "they" know your entire fertility program anyway since the retails know how much fertilizer you bought. Same goes for herbicide and fungicide.

So enjoy telling them to blow you, they're gonna figure it out anyhow.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Satellites take pictures of your farm probably daily.

Land maps show who owns what land. If land is rented it's pretty easy to find out who is renting it.

Satellite maps are scarily accurate to predicting yield. Might not be accurate to an exact bushel per acre but it'll be pretty close.

In that other thread BrianTee said "they" know your entire fertility program anyway since the retails know how much fertilizer you bought. Same goes for herbicide and fungicide.

So enjoy telling them to blow you, they're gonna figure it out anyhow.

How about I let them do the work then rather than hand it over on a silver platter....Mkay?

God bless them if they are spending probably in the order of billions on continent wide real time sat imagery and the software to actually process it.

I looked over the “invitation” again and the wording is this isn’t “compulsory” BUT (not in capitals might might as well be) going forward this will be part of the “future”.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always tell them they can pay me $X.XX per acre depending on how much info they are going to take. If they are going to extract data from my farm they can pay me their going charge rate. Or they can take a hike! They usually don’t take that too kindly but whatever. If we were smart we’d keep all our data and make THEM sign a farmer data agreement/contract. Pretty sure a few would dry up in a hurry. Just my .02

·
Registered
316 Posts
Who says you have to tell them the truth? I fill out online surveys all the time that pay usually $20-$40 for their 15-20 minute survey. The thing is I just BS it all and fly through them in about 10 minutes each. Quick ease $100-$200/hr. When I get a bunch I just sit down some evening and blast through them. Free spending money.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Who says you have to tell them the truth? I fill out online surveys all the time that pay usually $20-$40 for their 15-20 minute survey. The thing is I just BS it all and fly through them in about 10 minutes each. Quick ease $100-$200/hr. When I get a bunch I just sit down some evening and blast through them. Free spending money.
Me too. Been keeping track this year, I'm over a $1000 in surveys with remotely accurate answers.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I would politely tell them to F off, much like I do with Stats Can. The best year of my life will be the one I don't haul a bushel of grain to an elevator or big multi national. Someday I hope I am the one writing up the contracts and THEY are the ones signing it and following the demands. It's about time for them to MY beotch, not the other way around.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A grain company that will remain nameless is coming out with a “program” to collect all cropping information as it pertains to the crop being purchased in season to boot. Right down to fertility program you name it.

Haven’t meet up with them yet on it but understand it’s a voluntary pilot.

Now imagine how handy it would be for the grain company to have all our yield data in hand when it comes to bidding for said crop.

So now I’m working on a politically correct way to say blow me to a bunch of big wig’s from the grain company....:22:

Probably other’s have the same “invite”. Interested on how they are going to deal with it.
Alberta Wheat Pool did this as long back to the 70s.
Tell them your crop sucks!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Alberta Wheat Pool did this as long back to the 70s.
Tell them your crop sucks!
Farmers do that anyway. It's a funny business as it's the only one I can think of where people seem afraid to admit that they are successful. It does't matter how successful a farm is they always want everyone to think they are not. In fact, the MORE successful a farm is, the more likely they are to claim poverty. It's also one of the few businesses where the owners often don't WANT to be profitable. They often do up their estimated tax position before year end and, if they are profitable (taxable) they choose to piss a bunch of it away on fancy equipment upgrades to help take them OUT of a taxable (AKA profitable) position. Of course this does not apply to ALL farmers but I believe that it certainly applies to a higher per capita rate of farms than other businesses.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Being in the company side of this, and I will add that I am not the one asking for this info, it is not always the company that needs this information. More and more sales to the end users are getting complicated with details. I know there are several oat mills that have a sustainability clause built in to the contract. And that is not the grain companies sustainability, it is where the grain is coming from. Whatever sustainability means, no one has really given a good example of what is and what isn't. As producers, with the population getting more and more conscious about what goes into there food, I think you need to be prepared to have this information available to be able to market your grain. Again, I am not convinced that it is right, people that have no interest in the agriculture industry past it puts food on the table, but they get to demand how you put that food there, is getting a little silly. But if the price of the food goes up 5% there is **** to pay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would think the golden rule should apply,so no gold no information. I am out of the grain business, but still have cattle. I have not seen the premium in the auction markets I know of for 500 to 800 pound calves I sell. So have not used the electronic tags for age and source that you get from the government. I do get 99% hot iron branded so they should be traceable to me,but who knows with the generation coming on that cannot do a thing without a micro chip.

I do feel consumers should have a say as with country of origin in the US beef market. Which the big packers are so opposed to. But no reason this should be free ether.

With the grain business we need far better definition of things like GMO. ALL GRAIN GROWN COMMERCIALLY TODAY IS GMO. But not in the way city folks think, man has been saving the best producing seeds from the beginning of time. And learning to breed for better quality, without gene editing the more high tech methods I don't have a clue about ether.

Good luck in keeping from caving on this. May General Mills have to pay a premium for oats to make Cheerios rather than looking for ways to put dockage on you and paying less feed oats price.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts