The Combine Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Bit curious on this. A lot of difference in area, but with as wet as it was down your way early do you not think that is why your alfalfa not yielding? Up here grass can take any amount of water and produce like it appears in your waterways comment(assuming you can get it off), but alfalfa almost seems to stunt when too wet. Given the cost to terminate/reestablish alfalfa my tendency would be to leave it - unless there were actual deadspot areas due to winterkill, too many ruts, moles, etc.

Cold and wet was my concern and thought on the first cutting, its been less wet and significantly warmer/hotter for second cutting. We will see ow the third does in 10 days or so and fourth later than that but it being about half production now has me thinking that it will get terminated.

I understand the thoughts on trying it one more round but this is ground that is fully capable of cranking 250 bpa+ corn and 70 bpa+ soybeans, I can't afford to have it sub produce alfalfa. I usually rotate out of alfalfa in 4-5 years anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Found out last nite I underestimated some of the grasshopper situation in some old stands, first time I have been walking thru large areas of literally standing water and still over half has been eaten by those SOBs. Must be some mutant variety lol, thought grasshoppers couldn't hack high moisture but these sure can

·
Registered
537 Posts
700 bales dry no rain so far, about 50% done. Been slow going though, working with weather windows. Saw a single grasshopper about a month ago and was worried but they never materialized. The alfalfa didn’t grow much this year with the bone dry June, but the clover sure took off in July. Clover is tough to dry but I use hay preservative to help with that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yield is only 30% of last year. Quality is mostly poor. Managed to get 60 bales made without rain. Everything else has been raked 2-4 times. It will be a cold day in January before the cows will eat some of these black bales .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Managed to get 120 or so bales up dry. Figured we better get it before the hoppers do, some hay has rain on it. Haven’t cut anything more until this weather decided to smarten up

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Has anyone been using using a large swather on the light grass hay crops this year? There is a lot of that around here this year. In dryer years in the past I used a 30 foot swather and thought it was quite efficient when It would actually cut well, unfortunately I think I chose a poor brand of machine and more or less wore it out quickly and sold it.

Right now I have the Big M set for straight mowing and conditioning and we are V raking everything. I really should locate a couple of 9 wheel side delivery rakes and hook them to our ancient two rake hitch and make some 80 to 100 foot windrows again.

But if anyone is having good success with something like the current Macdons with a grain Draper header, that would be interesting.

It’s funny how someone would want go back and try to solve the same old problem again.

We’ll probably scare up enough hay here but it's going to require cutting more acres than usual lately, and I’m lazier than ever, especially when it comes to fixing that worn out Big M in the heat. Should have got two of them, just to be fixing, so I wouldn’t have time to bugger either one of them up.

Same as dirt bikes!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Has anyone been using using a large swather on the light grass hay crops this year? There is a lot of that around here this year. In dryer years in the past I used a 30 foot swather and thought it was quite efficient when It would actually cut well, unfortunately I think I chose a poor brand of machine and more or less wore it out quickly and sold it.

Right now I have the Big M set for straight mowing and conditioning and we are V raking everything. I really should locate a couple of 9 wheel side delivery rakes and hook them to our ancient two rake hitch and make some 80 to 100 foot windrows again.

But if anyone is having good success with something like the current Macdons with a grain Draper header, that would be interesting.

It’s funny how someone would want go back and try to solve the same old problem again.

We’ll probably scare up enough hay here but it's going to require cutting more acres than usual lately, and I’m lazier than ever, especially when it comes to fixing that worn out Big M in the heat. Should have got two of them, just to be fixing, so I wouldn’t have time to bugger either one of them up.

Same as dirt bikes!

/snicker

Most guys in my area are laying doubles and raking together 50-60 feet sadly

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lots of winter kill here.

Quality is ok but quantity is bismal in places. Raked 2-1 last year, 6-1 this year in places.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Same as dirt bikes!
we had a little better crop and did all with the conditioner this year but last year did most of our hay with the 30' honey bee and it worked pretty good. ours happens to have a new Holland knife, same as in the haybines so cut the green hay pretty good. there is an extension kit to add about a foot to each draper to make a narrower windrow. did a lot of weeving with the baler but in poor hay crop at least there was something for the baler to pick up!!!! in my mind a way better way to handle light crop than mowing and raking. basically makes a third as many passes vs conditioner and then raking and not losing any fine material. bales don't seem to be as dense off a draper as a windrower though, and humidity was really low last year so no penalty for not running through the conditioner either.

we did have some issues with knife stalling / breaking knife heads when cutting right on the ground and running through mole / badger hills. found that oiling the knife with diesel fuel in the morning made it run A LOT smoother and quit breaking stuff.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We have been cutting our grass hay with our macdon 25ft draper header this year. Center delivery on one direction and side delivery coming back, then pick them both up with our merger. Works good on a super hot and dry year, but you'll miss the conditioner on a decent year with some moisture. The pickup on our merger actually does a little bit cleaner job than the baler

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well making some headway finally, have had about a week now of good weather and had some that was still not too coarse yet for some of my horsey customers, can't believe it took till August 20/21 to get to this point for the first time this summer lol.
Got a fair bit of other stuff down that would have been ready to roll up too, older stand stuff, but only so many hours in a day and so much a guy can do so concentrate on whats worth the big bucks, rain forcast for over nite but I don't think it be a whole lot so should be able to get whats cut rolled up yet this week hopefully.
Still haven't started on silage, oat hay window is long gone, early dough now so either greenfeed or silage for any of that, so least it will work out good to mix some in with the alfalfa I was gonna chop, cows will be happy and guess won't have to feed supplemental grain then either. Had some right next to the alfalfa that went flat a month ago in a storm, regrowth coming thru the mat like crazy so even that won't be a problem anymore either, will open a window for spreading some manure before combining perhaps, always need to look at the good side lol.
Speaking of the oats, some is over five feet, actually past my shoulders.

Unbelievable how wet some of the old fields are still, ended up with the 4850 on the baler more out of convenience that anything several days back, I was too lazy to unhook the 4620 off the chopper, well that turned out to be a blessing, had I not had the MFWD, I would have been stuck more than once. Grabbed a pic of one small area for someone who texted me while I was baling, them ruts are in 15 year old timothy/fesuce sod...and those are shallow ones, some places the poor pickup on the baler sure got a licking.

Its interesting how some stands the alfalfa is getting coarse and others its not. Timothy is about the most coarse of anything. So even some of those old stands are still providing some not bad feed. Got sales for everything I pounded out in small squares the last couple days, was some really nice grass with just a little alfalfa, got another piece that was seeded the same but red clover really came in thick, so not so good for the horsey crowd but it will make good stuff for cattle as I always like to have several hundred of those little ones for myself.
Just for a note to anyone else selling, I looked to see what others were charging and I try to be fair and always look after repeat customers, but long and short I advertised the surplus for $7/ bale, well actually the mrs put something on facecrack...guess got more responses than what was available...suppose a guy could have asked more but I still happy. Haven't really priced any rounds yet, but looking like anything decent and in large bale for horses be $100 to 150 again this year.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts