The Combine Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a VHD460. 14K fronts 46 Rears full lock. 500 HP 12spd auto shift.

Was all good for one trip then this happened.

SCR tank said empty when it was supposed to be full, so it threw codes and derated. Dealership wanted it back. Supposed be fixed by this evening

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never said it was nice. Just way more practical. For where I work anyways. Two times I had to move it in the field loading the drill I could not believe how well it took off. Did better than I could of with a normal transmission.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
There will never be anything but a Volvo truck on my farm every again.....by far and away the nicest trucks to operate and very reliable....certainly no more less reliable than any other brand. Throw in the industries best auto shift transmission, standard stability/traction control, steel cab frame with airbag, quietest cab and best ride....not sure exactly what's not to like. That transmission is absolutely a gem, and it's a way better shifter than even an experienced driver. Tough luck for something new, but it could (and does) happen to any other brand. Keep us updated on how you like it. Around here you have to pay a premium to buy the Volvo, but they are so nice to drive they are starting to be seen everywhere.
agreed 100 percent

i havnt had a trucker on my yard yet who drives a volvo that wants to go back to petes kw freightliner etc etc

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Auto steer? You can do that with any truck on pavement. Do that in a field full of gopher holes and I will be impressed :cool:

Plus they just did it forward and reversed the film.

Nice looking truck though.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
We have 3 Freightshakers, 1 International and 1 Volvo on our farm.
This is the order the guys want to drive them
1. 2006 Volvo
2. 1998 Freight shaker
3. 1994 Freightshaker
Equally bad. 2006 Freightliner and 2006 International

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
How far are you out of town? It must have cost a fortune to get that thing hauled into town.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Maybe i am telling my 4 year old the wrong thing when he picks his nose. I tell him all he will drive when he grows up is a Volvo when he picks his nose.

I would drive anything, but a volvo has a horible cab layout IMO. and the serviceabillity is bad. Volvos also have bad wiring. guys with petes and kw's will overhaul their 2million mile trucks. NOBODY does that with volvos.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This one sure sounds reliable, one trip under load, one trip to the dealer! ;) In all seriousness, I hope it serves a long and productive term on your farm.

·
Registered
370 Posts
used a volvo auto shift for 4 years as the tractor for the race trailer, all of us have class 1 licenses, pros of driving it were more room in the cab, no brains needed for shifting, cons were shifting on soft ground sucked, on icy roads the system did not allow for shortshifting into higher gear for traction control, when going up a hill it downshifted and stayed speed limited for far longer than needed, engine brake system was hard to get used to and not as effective as the older styles. up here what you see driving them are the new trucker groups that wear headgear that is part of their religion, and frankly after dealing with most of them, i have come to the conclusion they seldom know enough about driving to warrant having a license. granted the volvo is a decent truck for highway, and has some creature comforts, has similar issues from the pollution control systems as the others, but in the long term it has a lot of plastic and pieces that fail after a few years. not sure what the initial costs are, we paid 28g for a 2008 with 650k and had some warranty left, rubber at 75%, full double walk in and the 475 hp and 12 spd auto. not bad compared to a new dodge 5500 with deck for 69k. a real truck that got around 10mpg. we also pulled the inner wheels on the drivers , as we did not need them for the gvw we were at and gained over a mpg increase and got 4 spares out of it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
farmerjones. i typed IMO about the cab layout. I always chat with mechanics because i am one myself and same answer everytime. volvo is the worst to work on. Look under the hood. the engine is half in the frame. next door neighbor had an 03 with small electrical issued he wanted me to fix. NO THANK YOU!! after i fixed the first one. other neighbor owns a volvo dealership and a trucking company. funny thing is he runs peterbilts.

I dont run petes or kws. i run 9400 and 9900 IH. Are they the best? no no no. you could give me any truck in the world and i would still go to my 03 9900i. Its not the smoothest ride by far or the quietest. but i love it.

I was stating my opinion and feed back from other guys. I know a lot of guys running volvos and i know they love them. I know a couple of good volvo jokes though :) :) :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh btw i like the vhd daycabs looks. I would like to try a mack with an mp8 505 with mdrive and twin y suspension.with super b specs (no 46rears though) Its the same drivetrain a volvo has.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I hope that they get your truck fixed up. I would have thought that Volvo would have had the SCR technology figured out so things like this wouldn't happen. Isn't Europe ahead of North america when it comes to the emission BS that we have to deal with?

I'm sure they are a nice truck, never spent any time in one driving. I do know that the mechanic that dose our heavy truck work has told us that if you ever buy one of those volvo's you can count on having someone else do the work on it. has to do with how things are laid out, parts availability, and price of parts. The only thing that makes him grumble even more are Mack's.

I have to laugh when people start arguing about who has the best ergonomics in a vehicle, tractor, or what ever. If everyone had the same body shape and size, it would be much easier to design things to be comfortable for everyone. But outside of twins there isn't many people who share the same body size, so conversely the ergonomics that work for some may be annoying to others. Being a tall guy, my issue seems to be that when I'm in our equipment on a rainy day, in a comfortable operating position I always seem to be looking right over top of where the wiper goes, so I'm sloching to see out the window. Or lowering the seat, which bothers my knee, and after time i can hardly walk. So are they all junk? no. I have this issue it seems with every brand I've been in. Everyone else is 5-8 inches shorter than me around here, and they don't have a problem. Its kind of like which pickup is better suited, I'm a ford guy, I get in a GM or Dodge, and they just don't seem right, nothing is where its suppose to be. I'm sure there are GM and Dodge guys who feel just the same about ford's. I guess thats how it goes

Yeah, that fits solidly in the "Don't try this at home" category!:eek:;)
Yes I would rank this in the don't try this at home as well. You may end up like this.

That is unless your Chuck Norris.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.