The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell over from the New Holland board but am a bit knowledgable of the Case machines. I am a bit confused on the new series though and why there are three different series when New Holland only has one... as far as rotoraries anyways. So what is the difference between the 88's, 10's, and 20's?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
To add a little more: the X088 series is based on the original design (should we start calling it "legacy" or "heritage" design?), while the X020s are based on the new platform shared by New Holland.

·
Registered
259 Posts
as far as I know the only similarity between the two is the rotor and the chopper(and paint). do they use the same header hook up as new holland on the new 88's and 20's??????
X088's is still the same cleaning system as previous 88's
X120's use the newholland cleaning system, self leveling sieves and a sieve instead of bed augers ,correct me if I'm wrong.
we have run 1482,1480,1680,2188 and 2388 and considering trading 2388 to 8010 or 7010 or
deere rotor

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 88 series still has an auger bed, non self-leveling sieves & AFX belt driven Rotor w/ 156 degree concave wrap
The 20 series has self-leveling sieves, & fan, a shaker pan instead of augers, 2 CVT gearboxes that turn the feeder & rotor via driveshafts, AFX rotor that has 180 degree concave wrap

The NH has a twin rotor design & the CaseIH has a single Axial Rotor in all current combines.
The 2 share frame, cab, engines, transmissions & are similar in the seive area (20 series CIH) but that's all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The spreader is quit a bit different too. I think the xx20 series spreader will spread the chaff more effectively than the xx88 series.

But what i want to know is how the company came to produce 2 different designs like this How did the politics go to make this happen?

Is the 88 series due to retire?

·
Registered
371 Posts
The large upgrade of the 120 series is the fact everything is CVT driven instead of belts. As well, they have a much better residue management system which apparently they can't put on the 88 series because it takes too much power. I wouldn't be surprised if the 88 series is slowly on its way out.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
And dont forget the biggest drawback IMHO is that the new CVT models have decided to tack on a "rethrasher" instead of returning the hard to thresh heads and tough heads back through the rotor. I know what a pain in the butt straight cutting through a low spot is when it starts to overload a tailing elevator - has to be 10 times worse with a rethrasher lol.........I won't buy into them saying you get a 2% capacity increase by using a "rethrasher" I could care less about 2% I just don't want to plug!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
From an economic point of view I would think CIH will retire the 88's. What is the point of offering 2 class 7 machines? (7088/7120)

Case offers 5088,6088,7088,7120,8120,9120.

NH offers 9040, 9060, 9065, 9070, 9080, 9090 / 8070, 8080, 8090 (the cx's)

If they keep the 88's call them CIH, the 20's should be branded CNH instead.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
And dont forget the biggest drawback IMHO is that the new CVT models have decided to tack on a "rethrasher" instead of returning the hard to thresh heads and tough heads back through the rotor. I know what a pain in the butt straight cutting through a low spot is when it starts to overload a tailing elevator - has to be 10 times worse with a rethrasher lol.........I won't buy into them saying you get a 2% capacity increase by using a "rethrasher" I could care less about 2% I just don't want to plug!!
The rethrasher works surprisingly well. Even in weedy lentils and peas and tough durum the only thing it would do is trigger the high tailings alarm. I just adjusted the alarm so it did not beep, and after 5000 acres I never opened the thing once. I removed the plate that deflects the material onto the grain pan and now it just blows onto the presieve, I was told that deflector was a source of trouble.

Two big benefits: No undersized tailing elevator and no elevator chain.

·
Registered
472 Posts
the 20's should be branded CNH instead.
:eek::eek:

I suppose you'll want them painted yellow too?:rolleyes: You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I think you've drank too much yellow kool-aid!:D

My understanding of the reasoning for the two class 7's is one has all the bell's and whistles and one is the more simple stripped down version. The 7088 supposedly compares more favorably with the 9760 in price as well.

Whether there is still a big market for the stripped down version or not I have no idea. There does seem to be a lot of people that like the 88's, I'm just not sure that enough of those people are buying new combines?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I think the 2 offerings are different enough to justify the seperate lines. I actually like the way the Case line up sits, offers something for everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
In regard to header hookups from brownie, they are now all the same.

It is interesting that CIH went with their own rethresher design rather than use the NH ones that seem to work quite well. I have always heard that CIH returns in the 88s dumped back too far on the rotor to actually get a decent thresh and instead they just wear out the beater/chopper. The beater grate is always bent on those machines from where the returns dump out.

It is really odd going through the factory in Grand Island and seeing the 20 and CRs so very similar and then the 88 series being built as well -being completely different. And they all end on the same assembly line. They do start off on different lines but final assembly is down the same line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts