The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard certain 3m ones are made for this but looking for some experiences before I buy a box or so. (I have to feed with an open station tractor for some groups and end up shoveling a bin or camping out in the feedroom with the rollermill about once a week, so this has went from a "it's not that bad" to "there's gotta be a better way")

I guess to me it looks like the "hood" versions(papr) with the separate blower is a foolproof way, but they're a little spendy.

I have tried the "tape" and putting soap on the glasses methods, but neither work.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
The side cartridge idea sounds good.

Think of it this way: no one has yet solved the problem of safety glasses fogging in the winter on job sites. Think of the billions of man hours worked and we still bring it up with the site representative that glasses are fogging and it is safer to take them off then continue working with poor visibility.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Move somewhere warmer? Only advice I have. I'm lucky, don't wear glasses. My wife had laser surgery, have a video if you want to see it! Not for a weak stomach!

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
The laser eye surgery is the best solution. Get it done when you are younger so you can get more years of benefit from it. I got mine done almost 20 years ago and would do it again in a heart beat. The only down side is you no longer have glassee on when you are grinding etc unless you wear saftey glasses.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I won't claim wonders from this idea but I know they work better then a normal paper mask. That is the paper mask that has the exhaust flap on the front and to give you one model to try, the 3M 8511 which is N95 approved. It has a shield on the front of that exhaust flap which directs the exhausted moist air down rather then just straight out in front of you. Of course any of these exhaust type throw away masks cost double or so of a normal paper mask but because your exhausting that moist air mostly through that valve it helps keep the mask itself from being soaked as quick by the moist air you expel. I wear glasses and anything mask related is a total pain but some masks are better then others as I can't keep my glasses on in summer or winter with a normal paper mask for five seconds before its fogged over if I am exerting myself.

If you do grab this or something similar to try, let us know how it worked or didn't work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I won't claim wonders from this idea but I know they work better then a normal paper mask. That is the paper mask that has the exhaust flap on the front and to give you one model to try, the 3M 8511 which is N95 approved. It has a shield on the front of that exhaust flap which directs the exhausted moist air down rather then just straight out in front of you. Of course any of these exhaust type throw away masks cost double or so of a normal paper mask but because your exhausting that moist air mostly through that valve it helps keep the mask itself from being soaked as quick by the moist air you expel. I wear glasses and anything mask related is a total pain but some masks are better then others as I can't keep my glasses on in summer or winter with a normal paper mask for five seconds before its fogged over if I am exerting myself.

If you do grab this or something similar to try, let us know how it worked or didn't work.
They don't work. I bought a paper mask with the flap with the same idea but I can never get a good seal around the nose area. Only thing that works for me
https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?adgrpid=61158638855&hvadid=309998736468&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9001284&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=388106903745017310&hvtargid=kwd-297089256909&keywords=3m+half+facepiece+respirator&qid=1551554457&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=h0a61-20&th=1&psc=1

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Laser eye surgery was the way I solved the problem.
Contacts
��
Move somewhere warmer? Only advice I have. I'm lucky, don't wear glasses. My wife had laser surgery, have a video if you want to see it! Not for a weak stomach!
The laser eye surgery is the best solution. Get it done when you are younger so you can get more years of benefit from it. I got mine done almost 20 years ago and would do it again in a heart beat. The only down side is you no longer have glassee on when you are grinding etc unless you wear saftey glasses.
Lucky me: my eyes "aren't right" as I was told as I guess the surgery corrects the lens, where my problem is the focusing muscle, which is equally annoying, as I can go days without glasses, then need them again for a while.

Contacts: tried them and managed to get dust behind them. Ouch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

They don't work. I bought a paper mask with the flap with the same idea but I can never get a good seal around the nose area. Only thing that works for me
https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?adgrpid=61158638855&hvadid=309998736468&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9001284&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=388106903745017310&hvtargid=kwd-297089256909&keywords=3m+half+facepiece+respirator&qid=1551554457&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=h0a61-20&th=1&psc=1
I try them, tonight I'll order them and I found out my local FD has some older "hood type" ones that were never used, but they have to update, so they are selling them for $100(3m breathe easy?)

·
Registered
320 Posts
https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?adgrpid=61158638855&hvadid=309998736468&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9001284&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=388106903745017310&hvtargid=kwd-297089256909&keywords=3m+half+facepiece+respirator&qid=1551554457&s=gateway&sr=8-6&tag=h0a61-20&th=1&psc=1[/QUOTE]

I use the 3M one in the link as well with those pink filter. Works great! I don’t actually wear glasses but like to wear safety glasses in the bin to try keep crap out of my eyes which fog up with the paper ones. I also wear the 3M full face one with the same filter. It works good when it’s warm out but will fog if your sweating and it’s cold. In my case I’m sweating very soon after getting in the bin so use the half mask. Haha

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Lucky me: my eyes "aren't right" as I was told as I guess the surgery corrects the lens, where my problem is the focusing muscle, which is equally annoying, as I can go days without glasses, then need them again for a while.

Contacts: tried them and managed to get dust behind them. Ouch.
I will agree contacts didn’t work for me on the farm.
I wore glasses for 25 years so it was a big change not having to wear them. I got my eyes fixed 10 years ago and my vision is still perfect from it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just out of curiosity, which one(laser, lasic) and are you put out or are you awake?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts