The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched RME’s video with a Louis the other day and I got a ton out of it. It’s lead me to put further effort into getting my 8120 to load the sieves more evenly. Overloading the right hand side is something that’s been a problem for sometime now and I think it’s exacerbated by my use of a stripper header, though the problem is just as bad in canola too. I’ve done just about everything I can with adjustments including moving my pinch point to the left, playing with concave clearance and rotor speedand using a sieve offset but the problem persists.

I’m wondering if there’s modifications I can make to help resolve this problem. I thought about putting a blank out plate on half of a module on the right side. Another idea would be putting angle iron pieces on the grain pan at an angle to help shift some material more to the middle. Has anyone tried anything like this or have any other ideas for me?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Up to 5 years ago I tried a couple things, I never tried your idea of fitting something to the pan because, from memory, I couldn’t think of a way to do it without making the modules a lot harder to change.....
On the round bar corn modules I welded some lourves (spelling!?) under neath to deflect the grain as it fell through the modules.
For summer harvest though I tended to run a range of modules so rather than that idea which was fixed, and wouldn’t have covered the range if conditions, I tried fitting some curved triangular deflectors under the modules.... from memory they bolted up near or at the point where the modules bolted in.
I think they helped a little however in the end running about 1.3 to 2 degrees offset on the sieves was a Mickey Mouse way around the issue..... it still takes a bit of pissing around to work out what number you need and may not stay consistent as the day and conditions change. I found as I tweaked the thresh from starting in morning thru the heat of the day then back to the end of the day the grain distribution changes. And not mention the side hill issue where obviously you’ll get less slope compensation on one side because the sieves are already tilted on the flat.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
This will be my first harvest with my 7120. It will be a learning experience. Paying attention to detail hopefully I can get it to keep every expensive kernel in the tank. There are 3 cover plates per module with Wildfong concaves. That allows more customization for conditions than factory concaves.

·
Registered
719 Posts
New Holland TRs had adjustable louvers that hung down from the concaves. A rod stuck out the side of the machine so you could move them side to side. The side covers and the upper part of the concaves came out together. This picture isn't very good but it gives you an idea. The front one has the cover plates.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you are returning any amount of grain it tends to fall through the concave on the right side. That was 1688. I guess new machines have rethreshers though. I ran a cover plate under the return auger discharge so the grain in the return would get swept across the concave and spread better before it dropped through and not overload the right side of the sieve

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Had major issues this afternoon on both combines with overloading the right side of the sieves. Heavy dry straw conditions, very easy thresh. A couple of kill stalls did confirm and show clearly the right side of the sieve way overloaded. Tried the adjustments from the combine clinic to no avail. Tried speeding up the rotor, opening the concave even wide open (this is very easy thresh wheat). Tried offsetting the self-leveling sieve too, but to no avail. Pretty sure the pinch point is as the manual states. Concaves are leveled according to the manual procedure. Very frustrating to be speed limited to about 70% engine on a class 7 combine! The only thing we haven't done is change the vanes, which is really awkward and hard to do. Tailings are not an issue here.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,846 Posts
Do you have a rotor cage cover on the RHS?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had major issues this afternoon on both combines with overloading the right side of the sieves. Heavy dry straw conditions, very easy thresh. A couple of kill stalls did confirm and show clearly the right side of the sieve way overloaded. Tried the adjustments from the combine clinic to no avail. Tried speeding up the rotor, opening the concave even wide open (this is very easy thresh wheat). Tried offsetting the self-leveling sieve too, but to no avail. Pretty sure the pinch point is as the manual states. Concaves are leveled according to the manual procedure. Very frustrating to be speed limited to about 70% engine on a class 7 combine! The only thing we haven't done is change the vanes, which is really awkward and hard to do. Tailings are not an issue here.
I ended up putting a blockout plate of my #1 right hand side concave module and that helped significantly.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I believe case sells a blank concave module. Buddy of mine put one in on the front right and said it helped with their loss.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe case sells a blank concave module. Buddy of mine put one in on the front right and said it helped with their loss.
I've got a couple worn out small wire concaves, I think I might try making my own blank module for next year.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I've already got covers that we use in alfalfa. I'll give it a try putting one on the front right module.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Instead of welding plates in, or buying smooth modules, just make up some “clip-on” covers & weld hooks onto the modules (see picture) on any or all modules. They take five minutes to put on or off …… & provide lots of information !

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Tried blanking the front-right module with no effect on overloading, unfortunately. Also tried blanking the 2nd. No change. We were going to try the 3rd and then the 4th just for kicks, but we are finished the cereals now, so that will have to wait for next year.

However we did notice that sometimes the overloading might be caused by the rethresher dumping on the right side of the grain pan, which might be overloading the right side of the sieve. Despite what the engineers want us to believe, the material is not going to spread out very much on the shaking grain pan. We're wondering if we should build a deflector that has less of an angle, to aim more towards the left-hand side of the pan in a hopes that it might hit the center, or try removing the deflector entirely and let the material hit the far side of the combine.

No matter how you cut it, the rethresher seems to be pretty useless on these combines. Possibly NH's dual rethresher system avoids some of these issues with overloading one side of the sieves.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried blanking the front-right module with no effect on overloading, unfortunately. Also tried blanking the 2nd. No change. We were going to try the 3rd and then the 4th just for kicks, but we are finished the cereals now, so that will have to wait for next year.

However we did notice that sometimes the overloading might be caused by the rethresher dumping on the right side of the grain pan, which might be overloading the right side of the sieve. Despite what the engineers want us to believe, the material is not going to spread out very much on the shaking grain pan. We're wondering if we should build a deflector that has less of an angle, to aim more towards the left-hand side of the pan in a hopes that it might hit the center, or try removing the deflector entirely and let the material hit the far side of the combine.

No matter how you cut it, the rethresher seems to be pretty useless on these combines. Possibly NH's dual rethresher system avoids some of these issues with overloading one side of the sieves.
I removed the rethresher deflector off my combine a couple years ago. I do think it helps spread the material more over to the left side, but it’s not a significant difference.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a couple worn out small wire concaves, I think I might try making my own blank module for next year.
Here is what I came up with using my worn out small wire concave. Ignore my crappy paint job, its to hide my crappy welding skills.

This will go in the #1 right hand position. I angled the rear edge of the plate so I don't lose all my threshing/separation capacity. Mostly it just seemed like the thing to do. I ground down the bars under the plate so the plate sits roughly flush with the top of the bars. We will find out in 10 months if it works well or not.
Blue Wood Rectangle Line Automotive tire

·
Registered
633 Posts
The issue I see with this, is you have lost threshing area, which is ok if it is easy going.
If the cover is placed underneath the bars on the outside then you still have an untouched concave as such.
Anything is worth trying, it will be interesting to see how it works.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The issue I see with this, is you have lost threshing area, which is ok if it is easy going.
If the cover is placed underneath the bars on the outside then you still have an untouched concave as such.
Anything is worth trying, it will be interesting to see how it works.
This concave will just be for canola. Our harvest conditions are really dry so if anything I need less threshing. I don’t think the reduction in threshing area will be a problem, but we will find out next year.

·
Registered
719 Posts
NH just has 2 piles half as big on each side. Roughly as wide as 1/3 of the sieve. I'll have to take a picture of my airfoil sieves after a couple years in the combine. Paint is wore off fairly even I removed the humped part of grain pan before putting them in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts