The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know the last thread was a fail. So Here I go again with a different hosting site. These are the long awaited photos from January of this year.. I'll also add they are horribly mixed so please deal with it =)

For those wondering the Varietys of Sorghum we used where MR BUSTER and one of the Pioneer ones. I'd recognize the name of it if you showed me haha.

Here we have the fert loading setup. Rather then using the Chaser Bin like 2008 we just slapped the loader onto the 7810 and used it.

This is the view I had for the majority of the Sorghum planting. This is the 60ft Multiplanter we use. Its set up for 12 seeding tynes operating at 1m intervals with all other tines that are inbetween drilling Urea. The Seed tynes are the ones with the Airflow Neautralizers (or Orange Hats as i call them)

Another picture from the Letterbox paddock. Covered alotta Ha's in that day.

Same Day, Same Paddock.

A Shower off to the South West, Same day.

Another Paddock, Another day, Here we're in the Salt Bore. We See Camel (the bloke in white) takiun the bag.

Later that Day, nice Sunset while refueling

A View from the Airseeder while in motion.

After that we hitched up the Chisel Plough onto the 9320 and the Potholer (its like a Prickle Chain only bigger) onto the 7810 and worked some ground. had a paddock with thick Feathertop Rhodes grass and this lovely weedy crud that likes getting caught in the plough -.-

Cool pic of me rig!

Passing Camel who manned the 7810 and the wild ol' potholer. hah ah he reckons the thing collapsed its wings and tryed to fold in when you turned to sharp

The two tractors parked up for Lunch. Camel in between

Camel an I making a quick pass.

AFTER That fun with the plough we slapped the planter back on and got stuck into it! this paddock is seperated into East West (the longer runs) and North South runs. Jarrod (camel) and I worked up the North South runs. We only worked up the most northern Runs. there is a gulley that seperates a part of the North South runs from the rest.

The Headland of the North South Runs. Southern End on the part we didnt work.

The Next Day, Up at the crisp hours to get started. Planting the East West Runs here. Was a great day for planting.

Same Day as the East West. You might recognize where this is from the tillage pics! On the North South runs. Had a small shower hit us while planting. wasnt enough to stop us. barely wet the crust up.

View from the bonnet on that erm "damper" run. Same day.

Fillin the seeder in the dark.

After The Sorghum was finished we changed the Configurations on the Airseeder an re-routed all the tines to seed so we could plant something different. We planted That sic Legume/Pasture..ah idk what its classed as in a few paddocks for Nitrogen. Heres the pics!

Planting into some wheat stubble on the range.

Camel Spelling me on the planter.

The Planters Spread from the back. Fair size.

An for the sake of it heres a picture of the Seed tine an presswheel setup. Cleaned this tine an Presswheel off just for my best buddies here. haha

Please tell me of any technical issues, I have a swag full of more pics so sing out if you want more. Also happy to answer ANY! questions.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is taken at the Family property in Central QLD. about 20 minutes North of Theodore. Its inbetween Theodore and Moura. and yeah the Sorghum only came off about about a ton to the acre i think. alotta places where just under a ton to the acre.

But this is because it got good establishment rains and then didnt get bugger all rain on it for the majority of its growing season. bit of a shame really.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome back! I'm glad to finally see these pics. Cool stuff.

Do you guys usually have two years of sorghum in a row? We've got an 80ac field of sorghum behind sorghum, but that isn't really standard operating procedure around here. Most of ours is planted into wheat stubble. It makes it a little easier to keep the weeds out of it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate, Glad to be back.

You know I really couldnt tell you much about the rotations because I've only really been involved over the past two years.

But over that time the rotations have been pretty minimal, only a few paddocks have changed, Like the paddock that had the Corn trial in it, thats usually a Sorghum paddock.

Oh thinking now a few have changed. from what I can geuss I'd imagine its on a two year rotation. Because I remember in 2007 one paddock had Sorghum in it and over the past two years its had wheat planted into it.

Next time I'm up there i'll be sure to ask em for ya mate. thats got me thinkin about that now haha.

Cheers,
Jacob.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice pics. We would have a hard time getting that 7810 through out gates into fields!

Pardon the ignorance, but I'm not sure what controlled traffic is or tramlines are.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Controlled traffic is a way of reducing compaction by having every pass through the field run in the same tracks. Tramlines are just dedicated pathways for tractors, sprayers, and the like to run in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We don't seem to have heard from jacob lately ,so I will shed some light. The reason these tractors are on singles and wide track of 3 metres is primarily to match the header track and the sprayer then the planter width is usually in multiples of 2 or 3 header widths, 30ft header 60ft planter 120ft boomspay etc and in theory only a percentage of the ground is driven on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts