The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Germ on my oats are no good so I need some seed I am interested in your thoughts in regards to Souris oats. Standability ( I want to Straight cut) Fertility - how much nitrogen can they tolerate before they go down. Marketability how do the millers like them.

If you grow them have you done comparisons to other varieties.

Just looking for everyones overall thoughts on them

I need about 600 bushel I am in SE Sask any one have any for sale? I would like certified if possible, but will consider non - certified

Thanks

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Tried souris last year. Was earlier, was shorter, stood OK but 80 lbs too much N, millers like them. Triactor out yielded them by 12 bpa though. I was able to straight cut come on wheat stubble. I've had nothing but problems keeping my oats standing so will be trying potash this year and less N. Going back to triactor and morgan since those seemed to have the best yield potential with standability.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mills love souris.

Most guys don't watch plant stands enough on oats. Anything over 30 plants per sq and they like to lodge easy with the exception of Morgan's. Souris tends to have a much lower thousand kernal weight then Morgan's

Oats also need lots of Potash and Sulfur to stand and yield well is my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Most guys don't watch plant stands enough on oats. Anything over 30 plants per sq and they like to lodge easy with the exception of Morgan's. Souris tends to have a much lower thousand kernal weight then Morgan's

Oats also need lots of Potash and Sulfur to stand and yield well is my thoughts.
Sulfur is a good point, we mostly seed on canola stubble so lots of left over S.

What do you recommend for seeding rates?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That doesn't take in account for heavier oats (or any grain for that matter)? So if its heavy like 45 lb oat, doesn't that mess up your lbs/ac especially when using bourgault drill and calibrating based on weight?
Really? You better read up on TKW- it's the weight of a Thousand seeds of your seed lot so you know exactly what to seed. Weight per bu means absolutely nothing when it comes to seeding cereals it's what the individual seeds way is what you need to worry about.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Wanted to try Souris, but ended up going with Summit in 2014. Stood well, good weight per bushel. was hit with the drift off the neighbours invigor canola twice.(Leaf burn for the full 1/2 mile), lodged in the low spots and turned out quite well in spite of all the problems. Still want to try Souris as a comparison, but we will see how things turn out this spring.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wanted to try Souris, but ended up going with Summit in 2014. Stood well, good weight per bushel. was hit with the drift off the neighbours invigor canola twice.(Leaf burn for the full 1/2 mile), lodged in the low spots and turned out quite well in spite of all the problems. Still want to try Souris as a comparison, but we will see how things turn out this spring.
I was talking to a guy at brandon ag days about summit oats he had a sample Wow it looked like barley it was so plump. Got me thinking that might be another one to try

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
chance2, did you swath your Summit oats or combine standing? I had Summits last time I grew oats and they were pretty decent, but I had swathed them.

I am thinking of growing some again this year, but like straight cutting if possible.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I had tried to straight cut some of the field and it works well. The side of the field that got the worst of the Liberty drift didn't yield any worse surprisingly, but was set back and was swathed. It actually cuts really easy. Used a PT swather. The year before everyone who had Summit straight cut them. They do like them in Yorkton, and at a bit over $3.00, it pencils out pretty good compared to wheat.

I put them on some pretty prime land and they ran 130 bu/ac, at about 15% moisture. 39.9 Lb. Bu. weight. Just had a little touch of mildew on the tip of them from heavy dew most mornings after swathing. Summit stays fairly short, but there still is lots of straw to deal with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.