The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 9400. I routinely have 30% splits in the bin. I have...

1) Opened the concave
2) Slowed cylinder speed (below 600 rpm's makes crop feed "bunchy")
3) Opened sieves and chaffer to prevent returning beans
4) Slowed fan speed to prevent blowing beans over the sieves.

Only other recomendation in the book is to increase travel speed to put more straw in the cylinder, but I don't have enough power for that. What else can I do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We have had a lot of splits occasionally with our 9400 and 9410. Make sure it is not cutterbar damage, will cause some if cutting too high, had that trouble with a 922 rigid head. Will see that on the ground.
Do you have a beater curtain?
What year is your 9400, does it have the small engine? Still should be able to keep it full unless you are running really high yielding beans and green stems, then the power issue might be a part.
What size header (width)? Moisture could have something to do with it also.
Go back and start with the operator manual settings and adjust from there. Do you have the handy dandy plastic cheat sheet? Use that too to get it set.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My first thought is that your cylinder is too fast. I'm not on the farm currently but I believe we run our 9510 cylinder at about 330-370 in soybeans. I don't think we've ever had to go above 400 rpm on the cylinder.
Just my thoughts. Good luck getting it figured out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How are your cylinder bars. When we ran a 9500 we would replace every 3 years even though the old ones still had what appeared some life left. Always made a new machine out of it in beans. In corn it didn't matter but it would always split the crap out of beans. And as I recall I usually ran 450-600 rpms in beans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
we have a 9400 with 10 updates concave speed 380-400 fan just under1000 concave which could be dif if u use the outside gauge is at 19 use a 918 it does good 50-60 bu beans hope i helped

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are in dry beans your cylinder speed is too fast. The dryer the bean the slower the cylinder and usually you have to open the concave a little more. You should be around 400rpm in dry beans with concave on 1 or more. Also make sure your concave is level.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dennycrane is right it might be you're bars they might look good but if they been in awhile new ones will make a new machine out of it. I replace mine every two to three years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can't get cylinder below 600 something is not right. It has to be your're bars, you should be able to drop you're cylinder speed by 30 rpms till the splits go away. Are the feeder house chain slats all straight and not bent to cause bunching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We replaced the cylinder bars and concave on our 9600 last fall after harvest and it made a new machine out of it. Unbelievable difference. Couldn't keep from cracking beans last year...this year is fine. Run about 420rpm +/- on cylinder speed.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When you slow down the cylinder, try putting the cylinder drive in low gear.

9650 I was running 15mm on concave clearance and 350 on rpm. Splits were 3-5%, 12-14% moisture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts