The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tried using soybean straw on its own for bedding calves and younger livestock? If so did you chop it before use or just shake up the bale? I have a feeling wheat straw will be in high demand this year and looking for an alternative

·
Registered
925 Posts
We have used round bales in loose bedding areas and just rolled them out. We have also used big squares but it takes a little work to bust them apart. We use the knives in the baler to cut up the straw.

They work well but can be a bit dusty.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I used soy straw in the past. Round bales just rolled out. Would bed the beef cows with it till they started calving, then would use straw. The soy straw made for a good porous base. Learnt quickly that I needed a manure fork on the loader to clean out the shed. Also that I would have to pill it up in the spring and let it compost over summer for fall spreading. Spring spreading was just big clumps coming off of the spreader.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I always wondered about soybean straw also. Is it as absorbent as cornstalks or oat/wheat straw? Always kind of thought that it may be a bit jagged or stiff and kind of pokey. Would make a good solid base though I would guess.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Bit of a different thing but here in austraila we love soybeans straw in our dairy ration.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone thought of running it through a bale buster before using it to avoid the clumps of manure and make it easier to handle? We do all big squares and my mom feeds/beds the calves so i want to make it as easy as possible to work with

·
Registered
924 Posts
Couple people started doing it around here when wheat or barley straw was getting expensive. Soybean straw is surprisingly pretty absorbent. I find the way it was the best to handle was to chop it with the forage harvester and put it into pile. than it's just like if you had some woodshaving. problem is to have the shed space to store it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts