The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my soybean trial results near Lake Lenore SK. Didn't replicate it and didn't pick the best spot so some variability from one side to another. I don't think there should be much of statistical difference from the top 5 according to what I seen in the combine (which was calibrated prior to start). Taking into account the variability.

1. Thunder 33003 - 40.9
2. Pioneer P002T04R - 40.5
3. Dekalb 23-11 - 38.9
4. Dekalb 23-60 - 37.8
5. NSG Reston - 37.5
6. Pioneer 900Y61 - 37.4
7. Dekalb 22-60 - 36.7
8. NSG Watson - 35.7
9. NSG Moosmin - 33.1

As for maturity, Moosimin and P002s were about the same and earliest. 33003 and Watson 2 days later, reston a day after that. All of these were mature when frost hit sept 28. Not much difference in maturity on any dekalb and i'd say a few days later yet, the 900y61 were still pretty green and I'm surprised they yielded as well as they did.

The bush types (22-60, Watson, Moosimin and P002) were podded very low and I couldn't quite get them all, P002 was the best in that regard. All the tall slenders (rest of the varieties) were actually not bad to cut.

I had field scale trials as well which tell a better picture. I had at least 20 acres of Moosmin, 33003, 23-60 and 23-11. Average yield was 37.5, 42, 43 and 35 respectively . It should be noted that 23-60 was on a nice part of the field and the 23-11 was the only variety that had noticeable disease damage. Also had some drowning. These numbers are all from combine monitor which I think is very accurate.

Other notes: fertlizer did nothing actually decreased yield. 15 lbs instead of 10 inoculate had no noticeable difference. 1.3333x seed rate had a yield bump on the 23-60s by 10%. Soybean on soybean stubble (7 acres) yielded 48 bpa which was basically just leftovers from the plot bags so a mix of everything and seeded 1.333x + rate. I found that shocking and delighting.

Seed date was May 24. Liquid optimize on most seed and cell tech granular dry @ 10 lbs. Fertilizer mid row banders was 10-30-10-15. Seeded them deeper because it was dry (1.5"). 6/10 of rain until July 25th, then until harvest nearly 11". Harvested Oct 10, 13+14. Pretty decent season for them, not too hot. Had -1 on Sept 15 and -3.5 Sept 28. Not sure how bad some were affected Sept 15 but those 4 previously mentioned varieties were already dropping leaves. Had spots say up to 55 bpa so this is definitely promising. This is my 3rd year growing, so far 36, 33 and 39 (this years average on quarter).

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Kewl.

I think ours will show much the same as yours.

No P001s? They are so early it's almost hard to believe they are beans.

You should try peat vs. granular... I think it'll surprise you!

Beans on beans is awesome :)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not doing peat when granular is super easy!

I tried P001 last two years, they were 25% or more less yield both years. Yes early, but too early.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Thanks for posting the results. With the dry conditions did you get good germination? When did you seed them and how long did they take to emerge? The dryness caused some of our bean to not emerge right away. I wonder if a narrower opener would have been better in not opening up the ground so much and drying the soil. It seems like it often takes a couple weeks for the beans to emerge.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Are those weigh wagon numbers?

Subtract 10-15% if that's what ure yield moniter is reporting , I think it's the splits hitting the mass flow that kinda throws it off- mine is deadly accurate in canola and wheat , but I ve learntt over the years that yield moniters lie the most in beans ...

A tandem of wheat vs a tandem of beans have 13% volume difference - even though beans/wheat have same bushel weights..

Im surprised your moisemines did so poorly!? They're a money maker around here!!

Are u able to move those beans ? I know Richardson had a 1$ premium on ...

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Do you find the beans weigh up less than wheat on average? I would have thought the beans would be as heavy or heavier than wheat.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seeded may 24. It was nice warm weather and they came up 5-6 days for the most part. Although because we seeded deeper I did notice some variance there. The plot gal did plant counts and most of the germination was between 75-85%. 23-60 was only one that was 95%. I definitely will try to not seed as deep. This is using 3320 paralink on 10" spacing 1" opener. Targetted 200000 planted seeds per acre.

Yes these numbers are using a weigh wagon. We also weighed 2 full tandems and they were 630 and 640 bushels which is about the same as good wheat. Last year my 1805 bin full had 5036 bushels in it and they were 11.5 moisture. So I'd say just as or heavier than wheat on my farm. There is less than .5% dockage and .3% splits in my sample.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Just put a load of soybeans on the trailer yesterday and they are every bit as heavy as last years wheat was by volume. Actually got a bit extra on thinking that it was going to be the same as wheat!

I can think of 2 different varieties that you should have in next years trial.:wink:

·
Registered
388 Posts
so I re-read your post-

"These numbers are from combine
Moniter" is what you've posted??

Now it's a weigh wagon- so which is it??

And beans and canola have more in common volume wise-

A bin with 6000 bushels of wheat does not have 6000 bushels of beans..

Unless your combining the kinda wheat we throw out the back around here...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Haul that over the scale and get back to me ...

If your wheat has any kinda weight to it... There's gonna be a good 80-100 bushels on a loaded tandem

Haul your bins out.. You ll come too same result...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Those 50 bushel beans might become 45 too! ��
Geez I don't know who pissed in your coffee but why don't you keep your snarky comments to yourself? The plots were done with a weigh wagon not too hard to understand. Combine was calibrated 9 times and is pretty freakin accurate. I also know what's in my bins as this isn't my first time farming! Also took a sample to the elevator and bushel weight is 59.6 lbs. So now what do you have to say?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Depends on the year for soybean test weight, standard is 60lbs./bu. but most of ours were 56-58 lbs. this year.

A bit different for corn, standard is 56 lbs. but some of mine hit 59, and dads wagon loads were weighing 2000lbs heavier with the same volume so his is at least 60.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Depends on the year for soybean test weight, standard is 60lbs./bu. but most of ours were 56-58 lbs. this year.

A bit different for corn, standard is 56 lbs. but some of mine hit 59, and dads wagon loads were weighing 2000lbs heavier with the same volume so his is at least 60.

On my farm I have rarely had 60 pounds. Usually 56-58. And if I calibrate my yield monitor it usually is very close to what ends up in the bin. But it is usually less bushels than Canola or \wheat in the same bin. Roughly 200 bushels in a 4000 bushel bin. I always fill till the white bin thingy pops up and close the gate. Maybe they peak up differently or maybe its the lighter than standard bushel.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Geez I don't know who pissed in your coffee but why don't you keep your snarky comments to yourself? The plots were done with a weigh wagon not too hard to understand. Combine was calibrated 9 times and is pretty freakin accurate. I also know what's in my bins as this isn't my first time farming! Also took a sample to the elevator and bushel weight is 59.6 lbs. So now what do you have to say?

Bud - I could care less, I asked a question . U clearly answered the question!!

first time farming!!! I like that for a bumper sticker !!!

And 50 turning into 45 happens a lot for first time growers !! Fyi

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
How about reporting yield in real weight and not volume....our beans yielded anywhere from 2.5 Tonnes\ha to 3.6 Tonnes/ha. I have yet to see a weigh wagon that weighs in bu??!!!???
Just trying to throw a little fuel on the fire lol. There is at least 1 member on this forum who lives in AB who would agree with me ;)

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I sure hope we don't need to have the bushel weight conversation. Yes a bushel of beans for us is closer to 58 lb bushel weight but if you calibrate your yield monitor using the scale there is no reason to it being off at all. As long as the weight was divided by 60 of course.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
How about reporting yield in real weight and not volume....our beans yielded anywhere from 2.5 Tonnes\ha to 3.6 Tonnes/ha. I have yet to see a weigh wagon that weighs in bu??!!!???
Just trying to throw a little fuel on the fire lol. There is at least 1 member on this forum who lives in AB who would agree with me ;)
I wonder who that would be?:confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts