The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always planted soybeans around 52# per acre with a no till drill on 7.5 inch spacing. I've noticed around the edges of the fields that there is more beans on the plant than in the middle of the fields. Thinking about dropping back to 30# per acre and make the plants not as thick. Has anyone tried anything like this before? Can't afford a planter right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Always best to know what seed per foot you are planting. On 7.5" it should be 2 spf, 15" is 4 spf, and 30" is 8spf. It ccomes up to less than 50lb/acre. Always worked for me.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I would do a side by side trail. Usually I plant at 150,000 seeds/acre. Did a trail last year planting 80 acres in equal area of 140,000, 160,000, and 180,000. There was .3 of a difference in bushels per acre of the three comparisons, 140k being the best.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
First, I suggest you change your thinking to seeds/acre. Pounds don't grow, individual seeds do. With seed size ranging from 2500 to 4000/lb, you need more certainty in your planting population. Then convert back to pounds for your drill.

Where are you? It makes quite a difference.

Here in Kansas I have planted as little as 55,000 with statistically insignificant yield decline. I usually drop around 90,000 if its dry, and 110,000 if good conditions are present.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree with bent. Your seed size can very so much it is impossible to get a good population if you don't start with seed count and then convert back to pounds. I had some seed this spring that had 2200 seeds per pound and some that had 3200 seeds per pound. That can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We've always planted in seeds per acre with a planter. with a planter you get better emergence % so you can save seed costs vs a drill.

Also remember the less you put on, you may yield the same, your pods will produce lower. If you pods produce too low you may not get them at harvest.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yes, location matters... We plant 200,000 and are targeting a final plant stand of 170-180,000. The guys here that are using air drills are seeding 220-260,000 with final targets of 170-200,000. (More damage through air drills.)

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts