The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at getting an SP for spraying. Currently running a 120ft tugalong but the ha are increasing and the utility tractor is needed for spreading, rolling etc at the same time. Continuously changing is getting old as well as taking up too much time. Machines available in my price range are JD4930, Nitro 4315/4365. Case Patriots are a bit more dollars than I can afford. As most of my spraying is on pretty rough country which boom is more durable? I wonder if the Nitro monobooms can stand the pounding as well as a truss boom?

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you're considering the JD 4930 on rough land, consider the 4940 instead. JD mechanic tells me the 4930s have all kinds of frame cracking issues. the 4940s were built stronger (adding around 2,000kg) and should last better for ya. I'm not sure about booms, nor how it compares to the other brands. Within the JD line, the R series are supposed to have stronger booms, but big $$.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would look at suspension first for rough country, someone still has to sit in the thing. Good suspension saves the boom, operator and overall machine. Case would be my first choice out of the list you gave. Fwiw, my old hagie with terrible suspension and lots of hours on really bad terrain with a truss boom is in good shape considering. And they have one of the weakest booms out there. I had a 3330 for 2 years and that boom held up well, nice and stiff. Not sure how the mono are, but I did see a NH mono laying on the ground last year. Not sure what happened though.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
If you can get to a 2012 or newer Rogator it will blow the doors off those other choices on durability and ride. The Patriot sprayers are not known for ride quality and struggle through ditches and uneven ground. The other two are known to have boom issues although the ride should be better.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah +1 to rogators. Built like tanks. Although I found the patriot better than deere on ride, but I only ran deere as a fill in operator for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
When we were shopping for a sprayer this winter, we found a bunch of sprayers for sale out in Sask somewhere. I think he was selling like 5 patriots. When we asked him why he was selling them, he said he had bought a spray plane. I assume he has a pilot on staff. I am very curious to see how this is going to work out for him.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When we were shopping for a sprayer this winter, we found a bunch of sprayers for sale out in Sask somewhere. I think he was selling like 5 patriots. When we asked him why he was selling them, he said he had bought a spray plane. I assume he has a pilot on staff. I am very curious to see how this is going to work out for him.

A guy from this area used to do all his spraying with an Ag Plane. They buried him 20 odd years ago, clipped a powerline on a turn and cartwheeled in. Very sad for his family and the district.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah +1 to rogators. Built like tanks. Although I found the patriot better than deere on ride, but I only ran deere as a fill in operator for 2 weeks.

A neighbour used to run a Rogator, found his comb trailer handy for dropping the boom on to take to town to be welded up. Now runs a Deere. Perhaps we get the ones made by the apprentices here!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
A neighbour used to run a Rogator, found his comb trailer handy for dropping the boom on to take to town to be welded up. Now runs a Deere. Perhaps we get the ones made by the apprentices here!!!!
The older models had leaf spring suspension I believe, after 2012 air ride.

I've tried them all and Agrifac is the smoothest but better be sitting down when you ask the price on those. Although nothing new is cheap these days.:frown:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can get to a 2012 or newer Rogator it will blow the doors off those other choices on durability and ride. The Patriot sprayers are not known for ride quality and struggle through ditches and uneven ground. The other two are known to have boom issues although the ride should be better.

The only Gators available in my price bracket are 2008 and older so that kite aint going to fly. Re the Patriot what do you mean "struggle through ditches and uneven ground". Is it tractive power or boom stability you are referring to? There is one 2009 Case SPX4420 I can afford, has 5k hours though and no mention of wheel motors being overhauled or replaced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We are happy with our 4930. Only 2500hrs but really has been trouble free. Rides nice, boom is maybe a bit less stable than the newer ones, but I don't find it to be a big issue. Cab is loud, but comfortable. Still the best GPS system, and the solution system is simple.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are happy with our 4930. Only 2500hrs but really has been trouble free. Rides nice, boom is maybe a bit less stable than the newer ones, but I don't find it to be a big issue. Cab is loud, but comfortable. Still the best GPS system, and the solution system is simple.

Thanks for your feedback. What is your country like? Im mainly working on land that was in forestry but has been reverted to farming so is pretty rough?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Local bluegum contractor has a case 4420 with about 6500hrs on it, the only sprayer he hasn't pulled the boom off and replaced it with a little 40' home made one. A few getting round the wimmera with pretty big hours on them now.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
The only Gators available in my price bracket are 2008 and older so that kite aint going to fly. Re the Patriot what do you mean "struggle through ditches and uneven ground". Is it tractive power or boom stability you are referring to? There is one 2009 Case SPX4420 I can afford, has 5k hours though and no mention of wheel motors being overhauled or replaced.
Very little frame flex on a Patriot. Drive at an angle through a ditch slowly and wheels come off the ground and you are stuck, need momentum to make it. There is an "active suspension" I believe it's called that has a hydraulic cylinder on each side of the front suspension, mine all had that so I can't say how much worse it would be without.

Kind of depends on what type of rough ground? Ditches, ruts, lumps, etc. The Patriot is a good sprayer no doubt, just saying that my RG1100 is immensely smoother.

With those sorts of hours the maintenance regime becomes pretty important I would suspect, sloppy and worn parts won't make things smooth. Good luck.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I currently run a new holland sp.333f which is a blue miller and a jd 4940. Used to run a 4930. If your main concern is durabilty then go with the Deere. Its not even close. The miller rides ok but a lot of that is the air ride cab. That doesn't help the frame mounted booms any. The mono boom isn't the best but is very easy to fix. The boom breakaways are a complete joke. The Deere boom is just better.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very little frame flex on a Patriot. Drive at an angle through a ditch slowly and wheels come off the ground and you are stuck, need momentum to make it. There is an "active suspension" I believe it's called that has a hydraulic cylinder on each side of the front suspension, mine all had that so I can't say how much worse it would be without.

Kind of depends on what type of rough ground? Ditches, ruts, lumps, etc. The Patriot is a good sprayer no doubt, just saying that my RG1100 is immensely smoother.

With those sorts of hours the maintenance regime becomes pretty important I would suspect, sloppy and worn parts won't make things smooth. Good luck.

When I say rough I'm not talking about ditches or hillsides etc. Landscape is generally flat. More actually holes, lumps and ridges. Basically left after country has been mounded and bluegums grown then harvested. The reversion contractors grind the stumps, rake off the trash and in theory level the surface but its still rough. Especially in the hard laterite and ironstone rock country.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
A guy from this area used to do all his spraying with an Ag Plane. They buried him 20 odd years ago, clipped a powerline on a turn and cartwheeled in. Very sad for his family and the district.
Speaking of powerlines, every few years I hear of someone in north America hitting a powerline with his sprayer boom and dying. It always seemed to me the New Holland mono boom is an accident waiting to happen that way. The way the booms end up sticking way up in the air as they fold or unfold has always worried me. In fact my cousin's hired man hit an insulated overhead line in the yard unfolding (220v only). Scared him pretty bad. Our Patriot's booms unfold forward, and also the whole thing drops way down as it unfolds so I'm not quite as worried about unfolding or folding near power lines. Still pays to be careful and always be aware of what's nearby and above!

·
Registered
212 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. What is your country like? Im mainly working on land that was in forestry but has been reverted to farming so is pretty rough?
We're hilly with lots of trees. Though we do keep our fields smooth, I've been through my share of rough stuff. Boom has held up well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts