The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be of interest to all who are seduced into the latest molded, bolted & extruded piece of steel - yes, there is more than their fair share of plastic in them as well! Unfortunately, I'm as guilty as any other.
I've been keeping a record of the price changes in spare parts for the last 3 years. The shopping basket is a standard set of belts, knife sections, guards, chains etc. etc. for a very common green model.
Those of you in the US will be pleased to know that prices for this same shopping basket of parts have increased - yes that is, increased on average - 9.49% for the year.
That's OK you may say but hold on. Wasn't there a decrease in the world steel price by more than 50%? & wasn't there also a very large decline in the oil price? Was there also some talk of interest rates being very low - could they be described as being at "record lows"? There was also some talk of a global decline in asset values? I may be drawing a long bow - but I thought in a world where the market rules, prices would have - should have, come down?
It may also be of interest but I have kept a list of the same basket of goodies in Australian dollars.
From 2007 to 2008 average price increase for the same basket of parts was kept to a paltry 22.25%.
If you convert those parts prices from $US to $A with the currency exchange rate of that day - Aussie farmers are pleased to know they are being charged on average a mere 52% more for the same parts.
12 months later, the $A has appreciated 38.5% - yes appreciated, so that means all imported goods would be cheaper - give or take a few dollars - see freight has halved in price in the same period, air freight has had a similar fall in price, raw commodity prices have fallen dramatically, wages have affectively fallen etc. etc. - so you would be right in thinking that prices would/should have come down? Well sort of.
If you compare the same basket of parts from 2008 to 2009 in $A, they have fallen by an average of 8.27%. I'd guess you'd have to call that a small fall in prices.
However, if you again compare the same basket of parts in $US & convert that with the exchange rate of the day you find a little bit of a different story. As someone used to say: "surprise surprise" , Aussie farmers are paying - wait for it - an average of 88.40% higher - yes, that is 88.4% more, for exactly the same parts as US farmers pay.
Is there a word that is used to decribe this situation?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Same thing here in the UK, general rule of Thumb, what it costs in US$ is what they charge in £Stirling, even with an exchange rate of $1.62 to the £ (12/17/2009)

·
Super Moderator
3,472 Posts
Yes there is.
See Penthouse forum for reference.

Interesting study Rod, never heard or thought of your "shopping basket" approach on machinery parts, good work.
I also get the impression your new equipment prices suffer the same treatment?
You Ozzys especially are in the exchange rate/high freight squeeze and I can't help but feel
your generally getting the short end of the stick.

Don

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Do you guys have any aftermarket suppliers to help keep the manufacturers in line? Here we have places like Abilene Machine, Mikes Equipment, and others that offer aftermarket parts (many made in china, probably at the same factory deere uses).

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bent - yes we do have some after market suppliers but they don't carry many of the items required & there is not that much difference in price. It is of supreme interest to note that when one of the major after market supply companies sold out - the prices of after market parts went up.
Don - your reference to Penthouse is quite suitable & most Aussies would be quite amendable to a look through Penthouse. However & unfortunately, that is where the pleasure ends! If you have seen the film "Deliverance" there is a scene in it that could be used to aptly describe this process. Something along the lines of the trousers down around the ankles & squealing pigs!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can hear you guys. Actually, the prices for most aftermarket parts increased about 20-40% in the last few years. Some said steel prices, others may quote world markets...i really don;t know the correct answers.

However, the Ontario Parts Hotline sells aftermarket tractor parts for most models of ag equipment at much less that dealer prices.

There are nine (9) warehouses in the US and three (3) in Canada.

regards
Marlon Khan
John Deere Tractor Parts

·
Registered
16 Posts
ROD
Well done and great research,we are here in South Australia still harvesting and running a JD 9750 STS and I have a fair amount of looking up prices for parts online to compare,generally I have found we are paying double US customers and I am buying some direct from USA JD dealers who are more than helpful and shipping either UPS or FEDEX....great serviced...I WILL NOT use non-genuine,been caught before with a cheap knife and feeder house chain from a jobber!!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm glad you are having good luck with the jd parts. I use jobber parts quite often with good results. I started using the jobber parts when I went to jd for new row drive chains for my planter. The chains came in nice jd boxes, and were individually marked made in china. The chains went back and I bought new Diamond chain for the same price as jd's marked up chinese junk.

Now I don't trust the jd parts counter any more than the jobbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts