The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 1660 w/ specialty rotor. My experience with them is pretty limitted, mostly in corn and I wasn't that impressed. Seemed like it was hard to find a balance between shelling corn and grinding feed. Never had a chance to run one in soybeans. What recomandations would anybody have on rasp bars, straight bars, helical bars, gorden bars, concave choices, grate choices, ect. Will be running just corn and soys with this machine. Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Grinding corn?? Are you running your concaves closed or your rotor too high. Rotor speed should only be in the 300 rpm range and concaves set on about 3. Vanes in slow position with either 3 or 6 separator bars depending on how well the corn is yielding. I can run 5-5.5 mph with 4 row head in 200bpa corn with my 1660 with very little cracking. Also you need to keep the rotor full to minimize damage due to grain on metal contact. The best concaves I've run for corn are worn out large wire concaves. Never had any experience with helicals. I would imagine Gordon bars would be benificial in corn because they are kind of a crossover between a specialty and standard rotor. In soybeans, rotor speed should be 600-800 rpm and concaves 2-3. If you have your separator bars in, run the last 3 vanes in the fast position. Also your specialty rotor would greatly benefit from an afx style front end being put on. Single best mod I've ever done

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Specialty rotor changed the IH rotor combine into a soybean harvesting machine. At one time they offered the Rochell package that you could put on the specialty rotor and it would do a better job in corn.....I think all it was some short straight bars.

If I had only corn the standard rotor is okay but it sure makes for some long days in green stemmed soybeans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts