The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting a lot of unthreshed heads and white caps in the sample. i have the combine ste up by the book, rotor at 1030 and concaves almost as tight as possible. would spiked rotor bars or gordon bars be an answer? or should i be using cover plates? does ok in corn with some rotor loss but i seem to have the same problem in beans with unthreshed pods.

thanks, Dan

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are not running small wire concaves, you will definitely need cover plates in my opinion, and even if you are running small wires, you can still run one or two cover plates if needed. I always end up running the concaves pretty much tightened up and then adjust rotor speed as needed. Also make sure that the bottom shoe seive is about one quarter inch open. If you start to get grain going up tailings, then open it up a little. Keep in mind that the faster the rotor speed you run, the easier it will be to throw grain out the back. Gorden bars would help to thresh tough grain more, but if you also combine beans, I don't think you would like them in that crop. They also take more power to run. I would just stick with the regular pads and make sure they are in good shape, if they are wore down, it will definitely affect performance in grain. Make sure you have the concave zero point set correctly also.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I strongly dissagree about fast rotor causing losses. I wouls reccoment speeding the rotro if anything. Faster rotor speeds create more centrifugal force to seperate and also more impact to thresh.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I kow that almost everybody has a different way they like to set a combine up, so just because I say that something works for me doesn't mean it will work for somebody else in different conditions in a different area. I have not been working on combines for 30 years, however I have never seen a situation in small grains where rotor speed didn't affect losses. If you are running 1150 rpm compared to 1050 rpm, the crop is moving much faster and doesn't have near as much time to seperate out. Also the faster the rotor speed the more straw you will break up and you will get more mog in your cleaning system. I am not saying that anybody else is wrong, I am only saying what I have found to work for me in the conditions and area I am in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am running brand new small wire concaves. thinkin now that maybe next year i will leave in the first large wire and put cover plates on it.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It only takes a few minutes to do that now. Maybe you can still do it for tis year so you know if it is what you want or not. If you make you own cover, it dont have to be a perfect fit. Just get a close measurement and a bolt it to the wires. I use 3 pairs of 5/16" grade 5 bolts to hold these covers one and they work super.

Personally, I disagree with high speed rotors using impact to thresh. There's a line that has to be found where you have enough outward force to seperate the grain from mog, yet not so much to break things up so bad you have no matter to "rub" the grain out with.

If you have dry harvest conditions, try 4 gorden bars, and put them where the first and second concaves fit together. You'd be amazed how much difference just those four bars will make in wheat and other small grains.

This year I tryed something new and left the gordens at the first and second concaves, then installed 4 spikes at the beginning of the grate area. This worked very well for me this year with some cooler temps, but dry wheat. I used the spikes as sort of a transition helper where the concaves were pulled up tight and the grates of course are non adjustable. That drop in pressure sometimes needs a little help.

Here's a link with some pictures of what I did this year. The rotor bars I changed out after it was installed. You can see how beneficial the helical concaves would be for harder threshing crops.
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62424&mid=439631#M439631

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help. i'll call around and see if i can get a price on them. the helical concaves are worth the money? maybe i should try to trade my small wires. how are they on straw quality?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
IMO, after running helicals for 3 years now, I wont run another straight bar concave. I may put a few of my sets up for sale soon. Now I'm wishing I would'nt have bought so many sets of straight bar concaves.

Straw quality is fine, at least with my machine it is anyway. It takes very few gorden bars to really move material rearward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run 3 small wire modules and 1 large wire on my 8010 the first wire mod. has filler plates about half of the mod. For wheat I open my concave 2or even 3 Then I run my machine to the max and what I am doing I am threshing grain on grain I have no white caps and my capacity has increased.I Pickup a 36 ft. swath at 4.5 5.2 mph and wheat running 55bpa. I just love the capacity my 8010 has and does I00% job.

Cliff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts