The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I occasionally find a trail of corn behind the combine from grain falling into the fan. My question is how fast should I be running with this setup in 200+ bu corn. Usually I'm running around 4 mph as long as I have the power in the drier corn, closer to 3 in the wetter stuff at the beginning of the season. I'm just not certain how this happens other than I'm overloading the chaffer? Any insight would be greatly appreciated..hope someone has some drier corn than we do. Ours is all around 28-30% here in Nebraska.

·
Registered
37 Posts
your clean grain elevator isn't keeping up that's why it's coming out of the fan. Have had that problem for years with the 9860's and now the 9870's. just have to slow down like it or not

·
Registered
28 Posts
they still havent addressed this problem yet! i thought it was only me! simple solution to help with the problem is to cover the front 2 rows of louvers on the precleaner so the grain moves back farther before it drops through it. i fabed some covers for mine a few years ago but i think theres a kit from deere now. it will also help with lossing grain in the fan in all crops all conditions. duck tape is a temp solution too

·
Registered
588 Posts
Greenreseeder is right. The louver restrictors, as they are called, are PN h221769...you need 4.
Put them on and that will eliminate the problem.
That is the one big advantage of the 9770 over the 9670 is the clean grain system. The capacity goes from 78bu/min to nearly 100 bu/min.
I can hardly wait to check out our 9770 in corn, I hope it delivers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense-glad to see I'm not the only one. The old man sometimes thinks it has to do with how "waxy" the corn is as he calls it-some hybrids are better/worse than others. I think we have the standard sieves. Could be wrong but I thought the deep tooth sieves were a no no for popcorn which we grow a lot of. Thanks for all the replies-this site is a great tool.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you are harvesting popcorn, I would think this would compound the problem as it probably flows easily and runs out the fan. Add the restrictors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree and think it does. To clarify things I'm harvesting corn and popcorn. I ordered 4 restrictors ($20 a piece) and will give that a try if/when things ever dry down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts