The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any aftermarket speed up kit(smaller/larger pulley) available for the chopper of a Deere STS 9870?
TIA,
Hans

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We will run 40ft swathers only this coming season,so i need the shortest possible cut and widest possible spread...Had the stationary knives all the way in last season,worked awesome when it was dry,but when it gets tough i would like to get a better cut.The Deere chopper is already lightyears ahead compared to the 8010s we used last year,i still can see every pass of the 8010s during seeding,even after a pass with the heavy harrow.I am glad we run only Deeres this year.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I wouldn't speed any chopper up to a higher speed than it's designed for. You're just asking for trouble.
The control bar is a bar that fastens to the chopper floor just far enough back to not get hit by the rotor but to slow down material flow enough to let it get recut somewhat. The idea is to hold material in the rotor a bit longer.
The problem I have with the control bar is power consumption. Deere choppers are already fairly inefficient and take alot of power to do the job and the bar only makes the situation worse. Next week I am converting a 9860 Premuim to a Redekop rotor because of the horrendous power usage the Deere rotor requires. It causes the 9860 to have no more capacity than a 9760.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is this "control bar" a JD part number or aftermarket? Do you have a link to it? Seems like I have power to spare in my 9870 so might be interested. TIA

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input greentech.How much is that redekop rotor?We have the powercast tailboard on the 9870 that we ran last year,it tends to spread to much straw to the very outside in tough conditions,the spread pattern is not 100% even.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exactly is the control bar?Thought it would be the the bar where the stationary knives are attached to...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Redekop doesn't have a rotor to fit a 70 series yet simply because the 70 series chopper is very close to being a copy of the Redekop MAV. After looking at the parts catalog I realized that the only difference is that there are paddled knives all the way across the Deere rotor. If you could change these knives to a straight blade you would get a finer chop with less power consumption but I don't see a straight blade option like the old rotors had.

You could probably bolt on a complete MAV chopper but that would run you at least 8 grand.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It would lessen distribution due to the lost velocity at the bar. The power cast tailboard is probably meant to help make up for this.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I to think you should be able to speed up the chopper a bit even 10% would make a diff.I believe the standard chopper is 2700 rpm and the one on the premium combine is 3500 rpm am going to check it out and see what the diff is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts