The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting tabletop conversation with the father in law.

In regards to wheat spraying, whens the best time? Im of the opinion that as soon as the two leaf stage is there hit it. My argument being its best to get in soon as possible for yield.

Hes a 4 leafer.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
At least 3 leaf, depending on what chemicals your using, I’m using Velocity this year and label states 4 leaf so that will be my preference for this year’s wheat. I am still a believer of spraying early but 3 leaf is my minimum.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It really depends on your weed pressure. I find that if I get a good burn down and it is dry, there are so few weeds growing that it is hardly even worth spraying. Then later is better as I can catch all the later emerging weeds. If weed pressure is high, then spray sooner to maintain yield.

Be careful spraying before the 3 leaf expanded. Lots of chemicals cause kinked heads, boot emergence problems, small heads, etc, if sprayed too soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neighbour down the road has used enforcer m early on. Never had an issue.

Looked it up and apparently its good for 2 leaf.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Why spray early if you do a good burn down. Let all the wild oats grow then kill them. A 3-4 leaf crop won’t canopy for 2 weeks yet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I thought it was a race ?? Lol

personally I look @ weed pressure 1st,
Than no.2 the Growing stage of crop than back to no.1

spraying too early is no better than spraying to late … with wheat it’s basically perfect timing ,no mulligans ,

·
Registered
892 Posts
Your not spraying wheat, your killing weeds. Go by weed stage first then crop stage.
Weeds hurt you more in dry years then wet and depends how heavy population is.

Spraying wild oats to early never helps clean up fields. They simply flush again till canopy closes. Depending on your crop rotation wheat might be the only crop other then Canola where you have a chance to get 99% control of wild oats so make it count

·
Registered
675 Posts
I like a good spring burn down or fall spray and then hit it late right before it all canopys up. Seems to keep it clean right through harvest.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Weeds hurt you more in dry years then wet and depends how heavy population is.

Spraying wild oats to early never helps clean up fields. They simply flush again till canopy closes. Depending on your crop rotation wheat might be the only crop other then Canola where you have a chance to get 99% control of wild oats so make it count
A small weed is always easier to kill then a big one. Further, waiting on wild oats is like filling the chamber with six bullets and giving it a spin, your not going to like the end result. If the crop can't compete because the wild oat pressure is too high how is it ever going to canopy in?

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
But you can spray wild oats too early. I learned the other day that if they aren't at least two leaf, glyphosate won't touch them. Possibly other chemicals too. Just runs off the leaf I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 0.02. The length of the head is determined around the 3leaf stage and I prefer not to add any additional stress prior or during this time. I believe that no matter what herbicide you are using there could be some unseen stress on the plant. I like to wait until 4leaf, usually 1 tiller there also. Pay attention to the growing conditions during this time and make note of head length(main stems year to year, I see a correlation. The plant has the ability to compensate if weather improves by producing tillers and there head length corresponds to growing conditions during their head development. So there may not be a significant yield hit (or any) by spraying at head development but I prefer to not take any chances. Or I don’t know sh1t from bad butter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The first guys spraying in crop wheat are the guys who get the sprayer parked and end up camping all summer until harvest time around here. Their fields don’t get any extra care they just want to say their done. Timing depends on weed pressure and would change for every field and what chemicals are being applied. Agree that no way would spraying at 2 leaf hold wild oat pressure back.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
The problem with spraying at the two leaf is all the late flushing weeds. If you have to spray twice do to weed pressure do it at the two leaf and a couple weeks later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts