The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to demo a John Deere R4045 sprayer earlier this week and figured I would detail some of the things I noticed. I was spraying with my 4430 in the morning, demoed the R4045 after lunch and then went back to my sprayer after. Obviously the JD machine is unfamiliar to me and I would be better able to operate it after some time but I feel the person doing the demo had me pretty educated when we got going. Here goes...

Cab and access: The JD cab is possibly larger than my 4430, visibility was good and front wheels were easier to see than on my sprayer. Cab access is similar with a couple extra steps to get to the door, it did strike me that the door handle was very low and awkward to grab. Does not have the STUPID rear-view mirror bracket that I have hit my head on so many times on the Patriot sprayers. Inside cab is very nice, seat is comfy but seemed more bouncy(this may have been related to sprayer suspension being same way???). There was definitely more engine noise but it wasn't terrible. On the plus side there was less cab fan noise and very little hydro whine which is the worst noise in my sprayer. Overall the JD cab was slightly noisier.

Controls: I have to say that I like the controls on my Patriot sprayer, they are very basic and user friendly but I would like to see the center rack height on the hydro handle as well as the autosteer engage. The R4045 has both of these, I really liked the handle and the controls. The one exception being the boom section shut-off's. They are on the side console(which is where they belong) but the are oriented in a vertical fashion in two rows. I was spraying canola with some drowned patches and I like to shut off individual sections in those patches, on my Patriot the switches are left to right just like the boom is which is very easy to understand and they are rocker switches instead of push-buttons so multiple ones can be hit at the same time. Touch screen on JD appeared to be very easy to use much like my PRO700. Wheel track adjustment on the Deere is far superior, any wheel can be set to any width through the touch screen and they seemed to move easily even when sprayer was loaded.

Filling: Both sprayers have front and side fill, Deere has some electric control switches at both spots. I think there was some useful stuff in that side control panel that I didn't get a chance to use. The Deere's sight-tube is outside the catwalk and is only obstructed by the folded boom, it also had a digital tank gauge which we used and appeared to be accurate. The sight tube on my 4430 is hidden behind the boom/walkway/and windshield washer fluid container??? Huge blunder by CaseIH here, I absolutely loath that sight gauge!

Boom: Both have one-touch fold which is very nice, the Deere one is actually faster and smoother which I was surprised to see as I am pretty happy with mine. JD boom suspension now seems to be patterned after the Patriot boom and is very stable on bumps and corners. Both boom heights work well (once I turned off center rack height sensing on JD).

Suspension: Plusher suspension on JD. It must have more travel because I sprayed through an angled drainage ditch that my Patriot struggles with and it handled it well. Sprayer seemed to move around a bit more, kind of like an air-ride truck compared to spring ride. Probably something one would get used to.

Maintenance/Service: Both appeared to have a similar number of grease fittings on the sprayer, JD boom was grease fitting free! Fuel tank would be less convenient on JD because it is a good 7 feet off ground on right side. I could reach it but some people would have to use the ladder stowed underneath.

Weight/Balance: The R4045 specs out at 36,080 pounds compared to 28,520 pounds for the 4430. That is a difference of 7560 pounds or the equivalent of 907 us gallons of water! This was my main concern about the JD sprayer so I wanted to check performance in wet conditions which we seem to almost always have here. I was not able to get access to a scale to verify weights but it is really the in-field performance that matters anyway. So I set up a course through some drowned out patches in a wheat field. Pictures 2 and 3 below show the tracks that resulted. There was water here 2 weeks ago and water remains in the bottom of the ditch about 30' to the left of the sprayer tracks. I first drove my 4430 through with booms out and then the R4045 with booms out slightly to the right(which would be further from the water;)). Both sprayers had 1200 gallons in the tank, my 4430 had a full tank of fuel and a half full rinse tank, the R4045 had a full rinse tank and half a tank of fuel. I would call this a pretty close comparison. R4045 had IF380/105R50 Firestones and my 4430 has VF380/90R46 Michelins, both units were running between 40-45 psi. Both driven at 9mph. I figured the Deere was sinking maybe 4-5 inches lower as I went through these areas and you could feel the back end wanting to sink more. I was told 40/60 weight balance on the R4045 but feel they could help that by moving the boom closer to the rear wheels. This is the only issue that really concerns me about the Deere sprayer still. With floaters this likely becomes a non-issue.

I am sure I missed some stuff but am grateful for the demo and it is good to separate some of the facts from the fiction about these sprayers. I will check back in periodically and field questions and others comments are welcome as well.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
thanks for the update, I was promised the demo for the new deere, lol guess it wont happen because we won't spray any more maybe some stubble burn off, but that be about it.
how do you like how your case hydro system, I couldn't really catch on to the dial case uses to make it go faster

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like the new R has many worthy improvements.
Sales pitch would seem to indicate that as well.

how do you like how your case hydro system, I couldn't really catch on to the dial case uses to make it go faster
I really like the hydro on the Patriot. I fill in the yard with dial all the way down and when I get on the road and lever is forward I dial it up to speed, very smooth that way. Likewise when slowing down for the approach I dial it down to where I spray at(which is usually just off the bottom setting). Moving the hydro lever with it dialed up can be jumpy if you aren't careful, dial is just easier to be more gradual.

The R4045 has a similar setup. It starts with I believe a 10mph max speed on the lever, from there you shift upwards in 1mph increments with a button on the hydro handle. As you get faster the increments become larger. I like that this is on the hydro lever as well.

R4045 will do 30mph loaded and 35mph empty, my 4430 will do 32mph either way.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was born and bred with Deere in my genes but I think it's pretty ridiculous that two basically equal physically sized machines need to have almost 8k in weight difference....... good review tho.
I agree. If they could even drop 5000 pounds off it somehow the larger diameter tires would overcome the extra weight IMO. This being said I think those larger tires/rims are going to be a bit more work to switch between wide-narrow tires.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya but look at the deere booms they are way heavier the frame looks more solid, thats where you get the weight from.
you never really talked about the new boom system how it handles the drains way better.
I was told there is extra frame weight in case you use it with a dry box. For some people that may have a benefit but others not.

I cannot compare the "new" boom to an older JD because I have never ran one. What I have heard though is that was not very stable on corners and through ditches because it had basically one pivot point??? What was on the R4045 was basically a copy of the center rack on the Patriot. It hangs from two arms and is dampened by hydraulic cylinders(Patriot is springs). As such it performed much the same as my 4430 does. Outside of booms wobbled slightly more than my sprayer but still a very solid/stable boom.:)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info SWMan. One of the main advatages the Case sprayer has is the lighter weight. It is unfortunate Case had to add 3000lbs of weight when they went from the 4420 to the 4430.
Yes....BUT....frame was lengthened which helps balance and performance of autosteer. Weight associated with emissions is a complete waste.;)

One thing I forgot to mention: On my next sprayer I told myself it must have a re-circulating boom. JD apparently does not offer a deduct for ordering a sprayer less-boom like they used to, thus facilitating the addition of an after-market boom and plumbing.:( They do however have air on-board, which allows for purging of plumbing with air. Then when you start spraying it will be full strength solution that you get when booms are primed. It had the end caps that released trapped air in the boom.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
This:

Is interesting as it almost appears wheel slip on the right track as seen here, which is the IF380/105R50 Deere even though this is a much taller tire than on your unit.
You sure on tire pressures?

I see they are a considerably different thread, maybe that results in a different pattern left.:confused:
I suppose if there was any crop it would be ****** under ether tire anyway.;)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don the 50" Firestone had a deeper lug and spaced further apart whereas the Michelin has flatter lugs with less space between. I do feel that that design of Michelin throws less dirt around. If you put a tape in those tracks the Firestone 380 leaves a wider footprint than the Michelin. Traction control was on for the Deere but not for the Case. I didn't put a gauge on the Deere to check PSI but from the visual it looked to be squatting in a similar fashion to mine. It is still in town, maybe I will check it. Difference in crop damage would be minimal but nobody wants rutting for next year.:(

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
Don the 50" Firestone had a deeper lug and spaced further apart whereas the Michelin has flatter lugs with less space between. I do feel that that design of Michelin throws less dirt around.
Appears that way as well.
I guess the big question is which offers best traction at almost stuck level?
Safe to assume no further testing on that?;)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess the big question is which offers best traction at almost stuck level?
Safe to assume no further testing on that?;)
The one that starts off with the shallower tracks.;)
That was as far as I was prepared to push things, getting stuck wasn't on schedule that day....finishing my spraying was.:)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.