The Combine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well I think for the price of these sprayers it should have been engineered right the first time but never is! It seems the engineers fresh out of university like how the design works on their computer but to actually operate a machine and see where they need to improve never gets done. 50 hours on their designed machines would let them see their mistakes rather then send their blueprints off to be made in full production. Shakey mirrors etc would take all of 5 min to notice.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Has anyone modified the boom plumbing to recirculate back to the solution tank? Would sure make rinsing a snap.
My 4940 had solenoids on every end of sections which lead back to a main hose for recirculating. Used it a few times but it would still come out of the nozzles closest to the inlet so I couldn't use it while folded. I'm scraping it as it has caused issue with contaimination of 2,4-d and it can slowly leak back. I'm going manual end taps to make sure line is clean.

Best mod I have installed is boom section remote. Unreal! It is the best.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 4940 had solenoids on every end of sections which lead back to a main hose for recirculating. Used it a few times but it would still come out of the nozzles closest to the inlet so I couldn't use it while folded. I'm scraping it as it has caused issue with contaimination of 2,4-d and it can slowly leak back. I'm going manual end taps to make sure line is clean.
I've seen some setups like that. I wondered if they were as simple as they seemed.

I wonder if it would work better on systems like AIM, as you'd be able to force your tip solenoids shut, so there shouldn't be leakage, but who knows.

Sad to hear that you had the issues though, the whole recirc boom setup seems to be used a lot more in Europe, so not sure if they have them plumbed a little differently.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I cleared the cookies and cache on my computers, one computer shows all pics, and the other one and iPad, don't show the pictures, only on the very first post. But all the other ones are up. ?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Told you not to trade for that Deere computer!

There was an issue the other night, since fixed.
IPhone, Ipad, PC, all pics there for me.
You laugh but it seems every time they do an "update" the thing doesn't work right any more. Just this spring I had to punt the update that deere put in last fall to get things to work.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
You laugh but it seems every time they do an "update" the thing doesn't work right any more. Just this spring I had to punt the update that deere put in last fall to get things to work.
It's too bad updates are sometimes 3 parts improvement and 2 parts frustration. Sometimes other way around.

Did you get the pics to show LTK?
Here was the forum issue as sent to us mods:
""Yesterday Tapatalk provided us with a required system update that was deployed on all our sites to allow the app to continue to function with the forum. The installation of this update resulted in the following issues on the forum:

Double posts
Attachments not showing
Like function not working
Encoding errors
Edit function not working

We have received a patch from Tapatalk that should address these issues and have deployed it onto the forum. If you have encountered issues with the site in the past 24 hours please clear your browser cookies and cache and see if the issue persists. If it does please let us know what browser you’re using and any errors you receive.

Thank you""

I have no idea what Tapatalk is but the above issues were fixed the morning after you noticed your pics not showing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hardpars, used the same size and gauge as Deere on the ends, at a glance they look factory, they bolt to the factory booms existing holes with an angle iron and don't stick past the machine when folded, I also had to modify the breakaway linkage so the wouldn't trip during folding. Have had them on for 2 years. Got her tucked in the back of the shed for the winter but I''ll try to get some pictures Dave
Would like to see what you made to hold breakaways while folding, I made the 5' extensions for ours but haven't came up with a good idea yet to hold them while folding. Seems like they will work fine once in field position just have to get it folded out, is this your experience with yours? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hows the K and S boom holding out so far?
I am very happy with them. Initially, there was a 1" threaded rod on the hiem end at the fold than would bend and have to be replaced. They (K&S) knew about the issue and warned me at time of purchase (it would bend when the boom was stressed IE hit the ground or whipped real bad). They sent me new ones and then, when they found a better materiel for them, sent me some of those and have not had an issue since. I did some repairs this spring. Had a few cracks in the breakaways and one small crack developing on the main (both sides). pretty minor stuff for 100,000 acres on them. I would buy another set in a heart beat if I ever replaced my sprayer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am very happy with them. Initially, there was a 1" threaded rod on the hiem end at the fold than would bend and have to be replaced. They (K&S) knew about the issue and warned me at time of purchase (it would bend when the boom was stressed IE hit the ground or whipped real bad). They sent me new ones and then, when they found a better materiel for them, sent me some of those and have not had an issue since. I did some repairs this spring. Had a few cracks in the breakaways and one small crack developing on the main (both sides). pretty minor stuff for 100,000 acres on them. I would buy another set in a heart beat if I ever replaced my sprayer.

How old is the K and S boom that you are using now? Are the new K and S boom built better now or the same as what you have, that you know of? Why did you choose the K and S over say Pommier, Speciality, and Boyd?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I don't know if they made any changes since I got mine or not. They will be 2 years old this fall. I know mine are different than the ones they had on their web sight at the time as mine only require/have 1 grease zerk on the fold and the ones on their web sight had several. The Boyd booms are more robust but, as such are also considerably heavier. I've never heard of "specialty". The reason I went with K&S over Pommier is that they all seem to make 120' standard and I wanted 125'. K&S are made in Oklahoma and as such, when I talk to someone there I'm talking to the manufacturer, not a sales rep and they custom made mine with the extra nozzle on each end at no extra charge.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
It should also be noted that when I bought mine, they came fully assembled (when I bought my Boyd extensions I had to assemble everything) and, at the time, they said I was the first one that bought booms to install myself. Every other set they sold were installed at their facility in OK. They even included an annular drill bit and tap for drilling/tapping the holes in the frame for the forward boom racks. Their service was very good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know if they made any changes since I got mine or not. They will be 2 years old this fall. I know mine are different than the ones they had on their web sight at the time as mine only require/have 1 grease zerk on the fold and the ones on their web sight had several. The Boyd booms are more robust but, as such are also considerably heavier. I've never heard of "specialty". The reason I went with K&S over Pommier is that they all seem to make 120' standard and I wanted 125'. K&S are made in Oklahoma and as such, when I talk to someone there I'm talking to the manufacturer, not a sales rep and they custom made mine with the extra nozzle on each end at no extra charge.

Thanks for all the info. I've already contacted and had correspondence with Pommier, Boyd, and Specialty Enterprises. The only thing I am waiting to hear back from is K and S.

Lotta info and as such everyone of them are designed differently to some degree and a pretty good swing in pricing between the 3 so far. Just curious to see where the K and S fit in with the rest of them.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Was looking at the site for "specialty" that you posted and reminded me of one other thing that I like about K&S is that the only rubber hose on the booms is at the fold and breakaway hinge. All the rest of the plumbing on the boom is aluminum pipe. An absolute minimum of rubber for chem to cling to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was looking at the site for "specialty" that you posted and reminded me of one other thing that I like about K&S is that the only rubber hose on the booms is at the fold and breakaway hinge. All the rest of the plumbing on the boom is aluminum pipe. An absolute minimum of rubber for chem to cling to.

Hadn't thought of that or noticed. Good point there.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts