The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed some Axiel Extreme ipak on barley today and then it rained about 10-15mm in a thunderstorm. I started spraying at 1:30pm and finished around 3:00pm. It rained around 4:30–5:00pm. The rainfast time says 1 hr but im concerned it was a waste of time and money because it rained hard. Is there going to have been enough time between the chemical application and the rain? What do you think?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Really been a frustrating field. Cutworms ate flax off so sprayed it out and resowed barley. Then it rained and its up nice but lots of weeds and it is expensive stuff to spray so was feeling sick about wasting 29 bucks and acre.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It probly be OK...one time I sprayed velocity on wheat and it was far away so I didn't want to quit and it was one of those years where it was raining every other day...it started to sprinkle on my last tank about half way through, so I figured **** it will be a good expiriment. After a while you could see where some pigweed survived right at the end and it was already wet enough to make your shoes wet in the grass...If it is listed as 1 hour rainfast I wouldn't even worry about it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Alot depends on how thirsty the weeds are. If they are water logged or wet leaves already you need the time. If they are dry and sun is shining you will be fine withless time. I had one customer a few years ago insisting I spray axial even after pointing at the sky and showing the radar. An hour into the spray job the sky opened up. The axial that had half an hour was fine, the rest did not work. Since you had an hour on it you will be fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plants were dry and sun was shining when I was spraying. We have had a lot of rain in the last 4 weeks and I am very grateful for it. It has been dry in the last week or so though so field wasn't water logged.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
youll be just fine. Try spraying your garden with roundup and take a garden hose to it immediately. Guarantee its all dead! Especially if you use a good nonionic surfactant with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We sprayed liberty couple weeks ago, while we were spraying we got surprised by a heavy rain shower. Liberty worked just fine..., even in spots that got sprayed 5 seconds before it started to rain really hard on it...just like chaddermd says.

A week later I had the same happening while spraying MCPA..., same story, worked just fine.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have sprayed glyphosate in a light sprinkle had a great kill. Worst is usually when it's too dry the delta T sucks and everything evaporates off before it can absorb.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I had one customer a few years ago insisting I spray axial even after pointing at the sky and showing the radar. An hour into the spray job the sky opened up. The axial that had half an hour was fine, the rest did not work. Since you had an hour on it you will be fine.
I had a very similar thing happen spraying glyphosate on canola. Sky was unfriendly and the radar was not encouraging but the customer said it would be fine so I loaded a tank (200 acres) and went to work. Started to sprinkle before i was done and the radar was showing a system heading our way and not far away. Got back to the truck and told the customer "I guess that will be it for today", he said, "we'll do another tank". I showed him the radar , he looked at it and said "hmm.....we'll do another tank". So, under protest I filled another 200 acres and went out. Rained on and off throughout the entire tank so when I got back to the truck I said, "well, I guess that's it then", he said, "we'll do another tank" WHAT!!!. So I load up and sprayed it in a light rain. This went in for 5 tanks and on the last one I called him and said, "I'm throwing mud clods all over the place which means I'm pulling plants out of the ground!!". He said "yeah, we'll finish this tank and call it a day". If it was up to me I would have packed it in after the first tank. As it turned out, it ALL worked and rain settled in the next day and we never did get a chance to spray the rest. This is good example of why I say that a custom applicator with any amount of experience has more actual experience than a farmer who has been spraying his own for decades. Each of us has our own "limits" when it comes to risk. a farmer only sprays within his/her own limits and so ALL of their experience is limited to only within those limits. Speed, rain, wind, cold, hot, etc. A custom applicator has the experience of ALL of this customers risk limits. Some will spray in conditions that most others won't but won't spray in some conditions that others will. We get to learn from ALL different risk types where the individual farmer typically won't spray outside of his own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts