The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping guys that have sprayed for midge before can answer a couple questions! Midge are supposed to be in our area again this year and have searched about it but always seem to find a different answer. In what growing stage do you spray for the midge? Can you mix in fungicides like prosaro with lorsban? What time is best to spray? Late at night/early morning? Any other tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
It has been a couple of years. Scout in the evening as sun is setting, I find I need to sit still for a few minutes and get myself used to what's flying around then I start to see them if they are there, a quick look and I wont see anything but after a couple of minutes you see them. Don't remember thresholds. As for your spraying question we would mix lorsban with folicure and spray at fusarium timing 25% anthers showing. Worked well and we sprayed in the evening when possible. I honestly don't remember when its too late for midge spraying but someone should.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Scout and spray in evening or very early morning. We always did it with fungicide time, 75-100% head emergence and 25-50% anthers out. Threshold is very little, something like 1 in 5 heads or something. There were years I could see them flying while spraying! Hopefully in our case here, it's been too cold for them to be ready in time so probably don't have to spray.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We used a paper plate,sprayed it with Pam or any anti-stick cooking spray oil,waved it through the heads after sunset,the midge would stick to it.
Apply lorsban with fungicide.worked well..

·
Registered
198 Posts
In this ever changing environment I'm always intrigued about different things we may encounter in the future.
What are midges and what can the do at such a late stage in your crops life?

·
Registered
868 Posts
They lay eggs in the heads and their larvae EAT the developing kernel!:eek: Nasty tiny bastards. Grow midge resistant wheat and never think about looking for them again! :)Window of spraying is like 4 days, wheat susceptible TILL the anthers are out. Tillers are what we lost. Lots of flushes of midge, sprayed too early and too late. :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts