The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neighbours have been mixing liberty with pro line and spraying at schlerontenia timing. He has had very clean fields and high yields. Bayer rep says it's ok too spray up till 50% bloom. Anyone else out there doing this? I will be doing second shot of liberty might as well wait till fungicide timing? If I can. Our canola crops are looking really good and we are getting rain daily, so I am betting we will be spraying fungicide. Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess time will tell. I did my first pass a couple of days ago, I have more cleavers coming then ever before, buckwheat and volunteer grain were the other two weeds coming. Hopefully I took care of some of the cleavers but I am sure there will be more in a couple weeks. Wait and see.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
That is crazy. Bayer rep here would never support that let alone the fact that you won't be killingany weeds at all unless you have very thin patchy canola. There will be zero yield benefit spraying that late and lots of risk to yield.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's rediculous. The only part not tolerant to liberty in invigor canola is the flowers. Remember the last few years in your neck of the woods you could do pretty much anything and still have "high" yields but that practice is definitely costing that farmer from getting better yields. I would talk to the Bayer rep first hand then call another area rep and see what the answers are. I know a few reps in areas around you. PM me for numbers if you'd like

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
BS! A "neighbour" told me that he does this in his kochia patches when its flowering to reduce the kochia problems, said it works good. So I did it at probably 10% flower and you could literally see when I went with the sprayer for weeks and it was significantly lower yield. Usually by bolting you cant see the ground and no weeds come through anyway, unless they had a chance to get big if you didn't spray in the first place.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. Better just keep doing what I'm doing. I was thinking if I didn't spray again until 20% bloom there would be plenty of weeds poking through the canopy. I have made the mistake in the past not spraying twice and there were lots of weeds to kill when canola was in bloom. They were big and competing with crop, which I don't want either. The Bayer rep is in town today I am hoping to talk to him face to face. Seems I will just keep living in the sprayer this time of year! Getting our crops sprayed at the proper timing has been difficult this year! Thanks again

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that right? Nice, We sprayed our canola a little later then usual maybe we will get away with it also. We have a lot of cleavers out there this year and they always grow like stink, I am sure there will be more of them to kill!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just makes me wonder. Spraying canola at the 1-2leaf stages show an average yield increase of three bushels as oppose to spraying at the 4-5 leaf stage. Maybe spraying at the three leaf stage would show much of a benefit. I like to think I have pretty clean fields to start out with maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm too particular and that's why I do two passes of all canola? Maybe I believe the three bushel yield advantage shown by The canola council. What works here may not work there etc.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Just makes me wonder. Spraying canola at the 1-2leaf stages show an average yield increase of three bushels as oppose to spraying at the 4-5 leaf stage. Maybe spraying at the three leaf stage would show much of a benefit. I like to think I have pretty clean fields to start out with maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I'm too particular and that's why I do two passes of all canola? Maybe I believe the three bushel yield advantage shown by The canola council. What works here may not work there etc.
And how dirty are the fields that show the three bushel increase? Were the burn off? I don't know either but I would like too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spraying my 2nd shot of canola today, decided not too wait till fungicide time, thanks for your thoughts guys. Wanna make it clear the Bayer rep does not recommend mixing pro line and liberty. I have not talked to him directly. I will keep a eye on neighbours to see what they do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.