The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the 'experts' and reps say to wait until 15 degrees until spraying Liberty, and the hotter the better. Around here that is usually at 10 am. I can usually get a tank in until the wind picks up, and then maybe some in the evening if it calms down.

This is unproductive. Can you spray first thing in morning, even if it's say 6 degrees, and still get good control? I've had good luck in the past with Liberty but have always found a good day to spray. This year it's either cold or windy and windy isn't an option. Forecast doesn't have a good day in the future and even if it did I don't want to hold up the whole farm waiting for Liberty.

·
Registered
382 Posts
We do it at 6 degrees. Will be some reduction in control. If I listened to the experts I would never be able to spray. But it does still work.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I would be more inclined to go earlier in the morning as opposed to later in the evening. The worst jobs from Liberty I have seen have been late evening jobs when it got cold that night. I waited till it hit 10 degrees C this morning.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I would be more inclined to go earlier in the morning as opposed to later in the evening. The worst jobs from Liberty I have seen have been late evening jobs when it got cold that night. I waited till it hit 10 degrees C this morning.
X2 as long as it's going to be warm that day ok to start in morning. Another point to consider is dew. Have to wait until dew is off or at least drying.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
I have been suprised how well it has worked in the evening. If doesn't do a good enough job the first time spray it again a couple weeks later with a 1 liter per acre. The second application really gives you clean fileds in the fall. Waiting sometimes will cost you more yield if there is a lot of weeds.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Has anyone ever put valid in with the liberty? Its some new additive only CPS has. Supposed to hottin up the liberty.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
We find liberty really responds to water. We usually try to spray at 13-14 gallons per acre. We sprayed some a week ago at 1.3 litter of liberty per acre and centurion at the 120 acre rate in the middle of a cool night followed by days of rain and it looks like it is working well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Best control I have experienced is spraying during heat and sunshine. A decent breeze almost seems to help too. Gets some turbulence going at ground level and really covers the plants.
The only time I have needed to do a second application was when I sprayed a field later in the evening. About 20c when I started and 12c when I finished. You could tell the parts of the field done first had better control.:confused:
Best practice is to do a preseed burnoff, that way your weeds are a lot smaller and easier to kill with Liberty.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Don't most people do two pass with 1L - 1.35L liberty unless you are seeding late and get a good preborn? Just curious, that's the way we have been doing it for the most part.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I did some at 1.3L on first pass then came in again with 1.5L. Didn't pre burn the field before we seeded, no weeds cause it was too dam cold to grow anything! Had some Nightflowering Catchfly that was taking over. First pass only stunted it and it came back so I thought I would try and smoke this stuff out before the canola bolts. Just did this yesterday I will see if it works out.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Don't most people do two pass with 1L - 1.35L liberty ...
I have never done the two pass thing. One round of 1.35L seems to be enough to set back any weeds around here. Crop competition does the bulk of the work.
Edit: I should mention I always preburn with glyphosate, whether it looks like it needs it or not.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
We try to do the 2 pass thing as long as the weather cooperates, 1st pass at 1.6, 2nd at 1.35. Most of the 1st pass is done this year, not sure when we will get in to do the 2nd pass. 2.5" :eek: of rain in the last 3 days so far. Guess it will be a mud fest from now on to finish spraying. What is Valid and how does it work?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I spray Liberty at 20 US gallon to the acre and do it at any time of the day. I also use a drift reduction nozzle so the wind does not bother me as much.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Single pass is never an option on our farm. Do a preburn with glyphosate, spray 1.35 L liberty + 50 acre rate of centurion 14 days after seeding and then 1.35 L of liberty at 28 days after seeding. 10 to 12 US gallons or more if not pressured for time. We farm in cleaver country, and have found that 14 day interval has worked very well for us. Always found that we left the first pass too late. The only thing we alter from year to year is applying the centurion on first or second pass or going with two lower rates of centurion. As far as cold weather spraying, if practicing a two pass system and spraying when weeds are quite small and 10+ gallons of water, I wouldn't worry. If spraying under 10 gallons to save a nickel, delaying first pass because the naked eye can't see every single weed, I would wait for t-shirt weather. Have sprayed fields that appeared to have zero weed pressure and quit after first tank. Then get rained out for 10 days and come back to a perfect line in the field of where I stopped with cleavers now at 3-4 whorls on the unsprayed section. I swear they grow faster when you can't touch them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts