The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
wondering what tools you use to help while spraying. I use measure your land app to calculate what's remaining in a field and I'm after a pressurised aerosol can to clean nozzles
thanks

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I'd love to be answered is if anyone has setup boom lighting with LEDs or single lights facing along the boom and whether it helps with night spraying.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm not sure if aerosol can is necessary. It's quicker to just have few extra nozzles with you to swap out if you have a plugged nozzle and keep going. and clean the plugged nozzle you took out when you are done spraying with air compressor.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I have LED strip lighting along my entire 100 foot of boom on my jd 4830 underneath to light up the actual spray so I can see if blocked or not. also have a small LED flood light on each end of the boom to see fence lines and night.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have LED strip lighting along my entire 100 foot of boom on my jd 4830 underneath to light up the actual spray so I can see if blocked or not. also have a small LED flood light on each end of the boom to see fence lines and night.
Nice. How much did the strip lights cost you for the whole 100ft and does it hold up to the stress of spraying. Did you zip tie it along. Any pics available.
Thanks.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Hi there Gav, we have pecil beams mounted on our boom & think there great, they are on centre section slightly below nozzels & just in front of
them. They show up all nozzels well!
In the days of spraying cotton they were essiential, you could be 1 km away & see that they were all going.:)

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there Gav, we have pecil beams mounted on our boom & think there great, they are on centre section slightly below nozzels & just in front of
them. They show up all nozzels well!
In the days of spraying cotton they were essiential, you could be 1 km away & see that they were all going.:)

Hope this helps.
Thanks Dak. Hope to be doing a lot of night spraying on our cotton this season in between other operations.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've seen it before on eBay but the $35 delivery fee scarier me a bit. I've seen on YouTube guys making their own from old cans. Looks a bit unsafe but I might give it a go.
We have the sprayer airbags running of the tractor brake line and a hose reel on order to be fitted to it soon. I think this is the best option as every time I try to use an aerosol can its empty.

Richard

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I don't run any special lighting because in in-crop season it's light from about 4am to 11pm and I prefer to sleep the other 5 hours although there ARE times where I spray in the dark (for cut worms for instance) but it's rare. Regarding nozzles, I do about 80% of my spraying with a 5gal AI nozzle. I have 2 of them on my 5 way nozzle body. The first string is purple nozzle/purple cap. These are the brand new nozzles that I put on every year. Beside them I have the second string, purple nozzle/blue cap. These are the previous seasons nozzles. When a nozzle in the "first string" starts to act up I just flip to the "second string" and continue spraying. When I have time, I just go down the boom and any nozzle that is on a blue cap, I know the one beside it requires attention, I clean it and return it to service. I still carry spares in the unlikely case that a second string nozzle acts up and, of course carry extras of the 2.5-10 and 15 gallon nozzles. I never mess around cleaning nozzles in the field.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Nice. How much did the strip lights cost you for the whole 100ft and does it hold up to the stress of spraying. Did you zip tie it along. Any pics available.
Thanks.
I bought 60 (i think) led modules that are 100 lumen each, they come wired together in a big chain (you'll have to cut the and space them). You can only run them for 20 metres max, so i've got left and right boom 15m each, wired on separate relay, switch and fuses. took a long time to set up but, pretty happy with it. cost just under $400 vs $2,100 for the AppliMax Spray Nozzle Lights, so saved quite a bit.

Not my boom, but this is what it looks like (i dont have any photos and the boom is cleaned down and in the shed :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good idea LTK and your method keeps nozzles in order so that your not throwing out 12 month old nozzles and might have a few 3 year old still on the boom.
Would look pretty nice a night hillcrest, I'll look into it thanks.
What do you all do for protection while changing nozzles and filling up. Go the whole suit and face mask or just a set of gloves.
Has any one used john deere mobile weather for their record keeping?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I just use gloves and my sunnies. if i'm handling insecticides or spray seed I use a mask, that **** burns your nose/throat if you get too close.
I was looking into a john deere field connect weather station that talks to your greenstar, dunno wether to or not

·
Registered
257 Posts
Brake clean or carb clean or parts cleaner in aerosol cans, blows nozzles out no prob cost $3 a can pick it up at peavy mart, Napa, canadian tire, any automotive parts store. You want cheap and easy to clean nozzles that's it. I have a can in my sprayer all the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.