The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
We did it for the first year last year. Have a case Titan floater. We have just started for this year. Sure makes seeding slick. 1 fill a day on drills. Worked good enough we are keeping on doing it, if that means anything. 2 other neighbours are also doing it too this year.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Shouldn't really be a problem. I've done in past with good results. However, if the spring melt is fast and you have pools of water everywhere, i'm sure the N wouldn't stay in one spot if you know what I mean. I'd do good well drained fields or higher ones if you can. Shouldn't lose any to gassing off in this weather.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I'm doing the same thing right now for first time. Sulphur and 46-00 treated with agrotain. Putting about 45% of the actual N down. Using a JD 4930 with spreader box. Working good.

Did soil test prior and will do some again just before seeding, want to see what happens over winter with the N.

·
Registered
456 Posts
agrotain/46

Would be curious on prices and who you getting to blend the agrotain - Did some last wk thru cps/x viterra and it worked out to $80/mt upcharge on 46. Have used it before so do think/really hope it works.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Would be curious on prices and who you getting to blend the agrotain - Did some last wk thru cps/x viterra and it worked out to $80/mt upcharge on 46. Have used it before so do think/really hope it works.
Here is what I was told, Agrotain is $205/9.46L jug. Rates are from 2.3L/mt to 3.9L/mt. So at the high rate it would be $85.50/mt more.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I was quoted $660/mt direct load only, so couldn't blend my sulphur. That would have been about $50/mt more than 46-00 treated with agrotain at the time I did mine. I'm going to a field day next week that will have some reps fo these fert products. hope to learn more.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Just don't put it on ground that will sit under water in the spring and you'll be fine. I wouldn't pay any extra for "enhanced" N by whatever name you want to call it. If you're inclined to spend more money, buy more N.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Just don't put it on ground that will sit under water in the spring and you'll be fine. I wouldn't pay any extra for "enhanced" N by whatever name you want to call it. If you're inclined to spend more money, buy more N.
So in your opion, Super U, Agrotain etc is a waste? What would some general guide lines be for spreading, soil temp? Does it really matter if it rains or snows on it after? Can you spread in the rain? Any soil types better or worse?

I'm new to this, and I know a lot of people are talking about it, we have been told for so long down here it's a big no no, but as we all push our Fert rates, guys are starting to expirment and it seems to be working.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
So in your opion, Super U, Agrotain etc is a waste? What would some general guide lines be for spreading, soil temp? Does it really matter if it rains or snows on it after? Can you spread in the rain? Any soil types better or worse?
At our temperatures, yes, I think the enhanced N is a waste of money. Its a great marketing gimmick - good for your retailer/wholesaler but no jingle in your jeans. I know some guys think its important to wait until you can spread on snow cover - I never understood the logic of that, at our typical fall temperatures. It probably increases the chance of runoff losses.

This link will take you to an older document from Kansas State but I doubt the chemistry has changed in the last 20 years. Its suggests that applications below 35 degrees Fahrenheit are preferable.

I can't think of a reason to try to spread in the rain, particularly if you're using an airflow machine. That would be a great way to plug runs. We used to run into the start of a rainstorm just to finish up a field but that only worked if the machine was well warmed up and thoroughly dry to begin with.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Agrotain

While I would agree on the "enhanced" or ESN, not sure I agree with comment on just buying more N. What happens when you buy more N is you have to handle more N and I think there a very real cost to this too. Believe most people considering Agrotain are already applying product at rate levels where handling more product is consideration. Obviously, NH3 still cheapest/maybe easiest to handle if you have good service by far, but think anybody who has ever applied this in the Fall appreciates losses here too - not just in areas where water sits either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.