The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fair bit of hayland I'm going to be fertilizing this spring. I could resurrect my old spin spreader. I always have a miserable time calibrating it and the pattern isn't that great. And I need to drag an auger around to load it. Or I was thinking about a toolbar to pull behind my Morris 7300 TBT cart. Basically just to mount a couple towers and the deflectors just like a floater boom. Would make calibrating easy and it holds more than the spinner spreader anyways. I would be spreading after seeding anyways so no worry about needing to do two things at the same time.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
don't see why it shoudnt work... how far will your cart push fert? over 70 feet? I know a few guys that have taken the tanks off of flexi coil pull type spayers and put a valmar tank and deflectors on instead to get 80-100 ft spreads for dry chemical, seeings as ground rigs are basically being given away might be a cheap way to make a tool bar........

·
Registered
117 Posts
Was thinking of doing the exact same thing. Do the same thing as a floater at a fraction of the cost. Been on the look out for a tank. Was gonna mount the floater bar right on the tank

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I can't remember if it was on here or on NewAgTalk, but there was a guy from Australia that had done this. I think he had the 2 1/2" lines every 10 feet or so down the toolbar. They were blowing straight up against a plate that caused the fert to spread.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Could leave the airdrill set up and switch the fert hoses to the seed boots if you have a paired row opener. Keep it lifted out of the ground and drive. Fert hits the boots and you get a nice spread pattern. Have seeded hayland like this with a alfalfa, timothy, brome mix. Way more accurate than a spreader and quicker then a seed drill.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should have no problem going to 60'. It does 40' and the fan is maybe 2/3 speed.

I was thinking something like an old sprayer or harrow drawbar would work too.

If a guy could get 10' decent spread pattern on the 2.5" hoses that would be great, and easy.

Love the ideas so far.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could leave the airdrill set up and switch the fert hoses to the seed boots if you have a paired row opener. Keep it lifted out of the ground and drive. Fert hits the boots and you get a nice spread pattern. Have seeded hayland like this with a alfalfa, timothy, brome mix. Way more accurate than a spreader and quicker then a seed drill.
My drill is fairly heavy and would have to pull it with my track machine and it tears up the headlands a little too much for my liking. Can pull the tank by itself with a FWA. Would work great with a lighter drill.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you could get an old harrow bar I think it would be simple enough to figure out. I have seen the 2.5" lines put into a fan type divider (like a straw chopper tailboard), I never saw it running but it looked like it would spread 10' easily.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've considered using an air seeder to spread dry fertilizer too. but I don't because of the depreciation that would be counted up on the cart's acre counter. Things may be different for you, but the CO-OP has decent fertilizer spreaders, plus they can deliver it to me for $40 each load.

·
Registered
366 Posts
we've been toying around with this idea ourselves, maybe taking it one step further: haukaas manufacturing makes mole-hill leveling "sweeps" for a cultivator, and our old jd floating-hitch cultivator with a bg air cart could still have a bit of life left in it with kind of second career. I was envisioning spraying the fert in front of the units and they would help incorporate the product slightly as they smooth things out.

I can see it being a good fit for us on fields where we take 1st cut as silage and can then get out there quickly when the field is empty and has little growth in the way. Kind of a one pass leveling and fertilizing operation.....

Leveling Shovels - Haukaas Manufacturing Limited

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Fert spreading in Aussie-picture-001.jpg Fert spreading in Aussie-picture-002.jpg Fert spreading in Aussie-picture-003.jpg Fert spreading in Aussie-picture-007.jpg Fert spreading in Aussie-picture-008.jpg
Search Urea Boom or fert spreading in Australia on this Forum. With a trailed boom and modern aircart speeding 50lbs urea per acre at 10 mph should be achievable.
Last year I spred urea at 50kg/ha, mouse bait at 2kg/ha, snail bait at 5kg/ha over 135ft to suit controlled traffic. Aircart has accurate metering and can be set with a variable rate perscription if needed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Guys I worked for down in south Australia had a tow between aircart that they would mount a boom on after seeding. I was only there for harvest so never saw it in action but they would tram line and apply N several times throughout the growing season if they had received enough rain to warrant more fert.

I have seen lots of carts set up with heavy harrows like this around here and we have been tossing the idea of making a boom for awhile now. Just need a wet spring to get us inspired.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Search Urea Boom or fert spreading in Australia on this Forum. With a trailed boom and modern aircart speeding 50lbs urea per acre at 10 mph should be achievable.
Last year I spred urea at 50kg/ha, mouse bait at 2kg/ha, snail bait at 5kg/ha over 135ft to suit controlled traffic. Aircart has accurate metering and can be set with a variable rate perscription if needed.[/QUOTE]

Here is a photo of my Goldacres Ground glider trailing Boom, it cost about $500 to put together.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
we've been toying around with this idea ourselves, maybe taking it one step further: haukaas manufacturing makes mole-hill leveling "sweeps" for a cultivator, and our old jd floating-hitch cultivator with a bg air cart could still have a bit of life left in it with kind of second career. I was envisioning spraying the fert in front of the units and they would help incorporate the product slightly as they smooth things out.

I can see it being a good fit for us on fields where we take 1st cut as silage and can then get out there quickly when the field is empty and has little growth in the way. Kind of a one pass leveling and fertilizing operation.....

Leveling Shovels - Haukaas Manufacturing Limited

Or on a unit like this: Mole Hill Destroyer

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That Super Spout is an intriguing contraption bigblue. Has anybody on here actually seen one in action or heard any feedback. I'm considering building a pneumatic boom on an air cart for a special use, if these things can deliver a typical broadcast pattern that's quite an interesting concept.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the ideas.

I think I'm going with something like what Nobby or dutchdeutz has. Looks good and simple. Might see if I can mount a set of booms right on the cart. Have a lot of funny pie shaped fields that you have to drive into the corner and back out.

That super spreader looks like a good idea. I just don't know about the pattern spreading AMS with it? Any experiences out there?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.