The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bit of advice. I am running a 30ft MacDon draper head in front of an R-62. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to spread the straw to the right side better. The MacDon is offset that way to start with and with the gleaner throat offset that way, it is quite a ways to throw the straw. I have no mods to the spreader, it is factory.
Also, I noticed people talking about shortening the curtain. Do you cut off the bottom or take some off of the back.
We are moving into no till or min till and we have wet heavy soils so I am concerned about the thick straw and chaff layer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
on my old 62 i did cut the curtain shorter, probably about 8 inches or so, also adjusted the paddles to a X pattern seemed to help, but that was a 30ft gleaner head

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Here is what i ended up doing, i put on a 8" drive pulley on the bottom. I didnt want to add a bunch of weight to the spreader by adding more metal, so I made the paddles 2" longer than the rubber paddles, and i moved the curtain back towards the right rear of the machine about 4" along with adding some sheet metal to help keep the curtain rigid and shortened the curtain by 2"
for about 40-50% of the curtain(I didnt see the point in doing it all the way around). Sorry bout the crappy camera phone pics

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pics. I imagine the 8" pulley is to speed up the spreader? Does that cause any problems with the bearings, etc? Also, what does the curtain actually do? I have an R70 with the dual spreader and man can that thing throw straw! It does not have a curtain.
Thanks for the pics and thanks for the advice. I did extend the paddles today and played with the adjustment of the paddle arms and that helped alot! Will try the curtain trick next.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
redline73 have you had a chance to try your combine after modifing your spread? what was the spread like?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yeah i have some video of it, as well some some pics. It spread VERY well, especially when the humidity came up. Just need to have a hydrolic chaff spreader, it doesnt matter what you do with the spreader itself it still wont spread the chaff like i would like to.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Oh and with the 8" pulley it turns the spreaders @ 320-330 RPMs. I also didnt see any extra wear on the beveled gears, my only gripe is that would have to replace my wood paddles every day.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Here is couple of the vids..

In this pic you can see how far it threw the straw to the right, In heavy straw conditions it would throw it into the un-cut swath

1 - 8 of 8 Posts