The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be cuttin wheat within 30 days and Im leasing a R65 with a 30' Head and a single spreader. We have had custom cutters come in with 72's with single spreaders and 30's along with 36' drapers and they just cant spread the straw to save their life. We are in a no-till situation so spreading the straw is crucial.

Anyone have any tricks up their sleve to make these things spread the entire width of the platform? My local dealer just tells me "we havent had any complaints about spreading the straw, but you are welcome to modify it how you want, but we want it back in original condition when you return the leased unit"

Here is my "idea" Ill take a piece of 11" angle iron and bolt it to the spreader disc, then attatch some agressive CaseIH spreader paddles bolted to those 11" piece of angle. Will this work or am i just doing alot of work to get nothin done.

Any suggestions will be helpful, cuz my support dealer is not helpful in any way shape or form.

The only other gleaner expierience is our trusty ol 86 L3 with a 24' head and it spread the straw perfect, but that set-up doesnt apply here

·
Registered
379 Posts
What I have done is adjust the spreader paddles so everyother one is retarded and the other two advanced all the way so it makes an X. Also make sure that all the fins are spread as wide as possible on the chaff spreader. If it has a hydraulic spreader run it at 340rpms. This seems to help alot with a 30ft head, 35 or bigger you are out of luck. I hope this helps. The 72's that you had might have had mechanical spreaders and they did not spin as fast the hydraulic spreader does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know for a fact its got pulley driven spreader, can i incorporate a yet even smaller pulley.

So i should leave the spreader paddles alone and just advance 2 all the way out, and 2 all the way in, or would the more aggressive paddles from a Red Machine overkill. Also i noticed that on the new machines they sortened the curtain by 10", would this do some good as well? I have PLENTY of old mudflaps around i could cut up

·
Registered
405 Posts
We had a 72 that had the twin spreaders and two speed option with 2 pulleys for the belt to run off. I know that there were some hassels with the 2 spinners but it did a good job on the slow speed and when set on fast it could easly spread 36 feet the way it was set up. Maybe you could find a wrecked machine with the two different size pulleys and speed up the single. We did a huge amount of work for zero and minimum tillage farmers and straw residue was not a problem. Of course our conditions may be different

·
Registered
337 Posts
You can speed the mechanical spreader up, and you need the retard and advance to throw more to the right. Don't think angle iron will work, need channel to keep it cupped.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
run spreader paddles in a x pattern as mentioned by silverluv, install a 1" bigger drive pulley and shorten curtain 2", go to hardware store and get a 1/2 thick kitchen cutting board and make new paddles about 1" longer than old rubber ones. in good straw conditions you will get a 36 foot spread

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great advice, im leaps and bounds ahead of what the dealer reccomends"just run it you'll be fine"

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
i made a mistake on the cutting board thickness for paddles, i changed to 3/8 inch thick the 1/2 inch stuff was to stiff and was bending the metal it was mounted to.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Install 7 3/4" pulleys top and bottom,then double stack the spreader fins this will require another set or makeshift iron ,let'er buck.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks hwy19. I like that idea ALOT. SO i replace both pulley's with a 7 3/4"s. Can i get this from the dealer or will it be something i have to shop for?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would ya happen to have a part number? I went to my local case dealer w/ no luck. They couldnt find a 1" drive pulley

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, i plan on hittin up a Orchelins in the morning. I was lookin through my parts book, and they have a shorter Channel to spread better. I was looking at this and it looks like the longer arms would be better than shorter arms with longer paddle extensions. I have PLENTY of paddle material, as in pallets. so many i have like a 100 year supply of wood that is 3" wide

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i was worried about that exact problem coming up, but i have this for 75 hours so im going to keep my fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How large of a pulley were you running? Im having problems getting the top one off that spins the spreaders, but i bought a 8" pulley from my local NH dealer.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I actually got it from my CNH dealer as well. It wasn't much different, but what I noticed most was in corn how even when on the slow side it would sling cobs quite a bit further than before. We just always had a hard time getting straw thrown far enough to the right side. Speeding it up helped some, but if there was any type of wind you still couldn't throw it that far. We tried chopping and not chopping bean straw and we always seemed to struggle. We don't no till so it wasn't a huge deal. One thing we always had trouble with was those bearings in all our 2 series machines. It is hard to see when it is going out and it it doesn't have to go completely out for it to screw up a set of beveled gears.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Here is what i ended up doing, i put on a 8" drive pulley on the bottom. I didnt want to add a bunch of weight to the spreader by adding more metal, so I made the paddles 2" longer than the rubber paddles, and i moved the curtain back towards the right rear of the machine about 4" along with adding some sheet metal to help keep the curtain rigid and shortened the curtain by 2"
for about 40-50% of the curtain(I didnt see the point in doing it all the way around). Sorry bout the crappy camera phone pics

·
Registered
581 Posts
The only downside is speeding the spreader up decreases the lifespan of those bearings and open cut gears. We sped our up and just planned on replacing the bearings every other year. When the bearing goes out it ruins about $400 worth of beveled gears. It will spread wider, just be prepared to check the bearings a bit more often.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts