The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys and gals,

That time of year is quickly approaching, machinery being brought out of the sheds, fields progressively getting more suitable, seed being picked up, last minute equipment purchases being finalized. You know what this thread is about, Spring 2009 Tillage and Planting.

We've been getting progressively more busy over the past week or so. Weather was really shaping up last week to be an earlier spring, but we faced a minor setback with the precipitation sunday. Forecast is looking better, so 10-12days from now, wouldn't surprise me if we were hitting the fields.

Last week was planter school basically. We upgraded to a 16 row planter, even if it is an older series...its very reliable and in our opinion has a better drive system anyway running off the wing tires rather than a tire/tire combination like newer planters have.

Anyway, we have full precision meters with this planter, which according to test stands, are significantly better and we saw it for ourselves. Also have a 20/20 Seed Sense from precision going in this year as well, local dealer wants us to try it for free. Won't be buying it this year, but next year when the new model and updates come out it'll be in the 4640 for good. I have some painting to do to the planter, and i'll have pics of that up later in the week hopefully if my parts for the 9300 come in and i can get it out of the shed.

Anyway, we traded compact tractors around, got rid of the 2305 Deere/mower in favor of a 3320 with the 300cx loader and backhoe...definately gonna be used here soon to get some tile patching done.

Taking the 2305 away:

The new 3320

Hooking the planter up

Bringin 'er home

Meter on the test stand and the results...Precision Planting really makes a difference for finger pickup and vac units.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
Is the new planter older than the old one? (there's an odd sentence) I thought your previous one looked a bit shinier. 16 rows ought to cover some ground, though, and with new meters it's almost a new planter. Good luck with it.

I can't wait to get started planting. Friday I have to finish replacing gauge wheel arm bushings on the planter and get everything put back together, then put the saddle tanks on the tractor, install all the monitors, and hopefully get rolling Saturday. The saddle tanks always take longer than expected, so it might be late Saturday or Sunday. Assuming the seed gets here, that is.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothings wrong with the 9300 really, just waiting for my shiny chrome straightpipe to come in for the old girl lol.

Planter is a 93 7200, brand new everything for bushings, chains, and bearings so the planter is as tight as it can possibly be and nothing has wiggle to it. Its older, but we had nothing but problems with the tire on tire drive system deere uses so we went back to the older system and cover more ground with it.

Arends Bros. delivered the new tractor, but we traded with matt at holland and sons for a new 644 wagon with tarp and fenders for our old tractor and he picked it up.

Im hoping we'll be able to start next week, but the forecast is in the air since they change it everyday....we had alot of moisture sunday so it'll probably delay us a couple of days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.