The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed no real discussions on who was doing what yet, if anything at all. Nice to hear how others are making out.

We will be the better part of 2 weeks before we do much of anything I think, unless the weather really smartens up. Still have the one drill to get ready, just got it out of the snow Friday, had to chip the jack out of the frost. Still have snow along bush lines and ditches, has gone down pretty good the last few days, good rain on Saturday helped that out. Fields look pretty wet yet. Looked to be drying good last week, but as the frost starts to come out, it gets wetter, and it was very wet last fall when it froze up. Still have about 10% of our crop to finish combining from last year, but some guys in my area have a lot more than that to take off. Would like to do some spraying before we start, but it's been so cool I don't know if much will be growing before we fertilize. We use sweeps when putting down 46 so that helps if we can't get it sprayed. A few more days we should have all the equipment ready barring we don't come across anything major! Nothing new for equipment this spring, so nothing to learn, just have to try remember how we did it last year! Usually the first day is pretty unproductive! Guess I did get something new, well new to me anyways. My old truck needed a bunch of work done to it, so decided to up grade a few years. Was hoping to get another year or so out of my old girl, but just wasn't going to happen!

I wish you all the best this spring and hope all goes well! Good luck!

Reactions: 8582

·
Registered
526 Posts
Took a road trip to Brandon yesterday and back today. I only saw one guy harrowing and I think there was a few fields sown around Bethune (NW of Regina) yesterday but the wind was taking it away today.
Resized_20200426_154202.jpeg

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I managed to test the fire pit out with some tbones, beers, the better half and the dogs. Not sure why it seems so hard to get excited to start spraying/ spring work. Usually I am itching to go. Got 40ac of green feed to roll up. Maybe late this week. Besides a few oil changes and a wet test on the sprayer I am ready(mechanically) to go. A buddy in Richlea area said there are a few thousand acres seeded already. He ll, trees are not doing much yet here. Hopefully the rest of you can spare some motivation for me. Cheers to a safe and productive spring.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Finish up my morning Wheaties and I'm off to start 2020 spring wheat planting. Aim to get as much as possible in before the rain that's forecast for Wed night into Thurs. Scary dry here for this time of year. Last year was the wettest on record and didn't start planting for another month.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Start on peas today or torrow.

Wind been blowing for a week. Could Use a rain

·
Registered
507 Posts
By the end of the week. Wether permitting. Should start putting fertilizer down on corn acres. First time putting in corn maybe it’s not a good time to try?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Things are late but surprising how much its dried up here recently, especially given how wet it was last fall already, but then as I have said elsewhere earlier, didn't actually have that terrible much snow this year. 99.9% of it is long gone.
Deer destroyed my oats, waiting the on the guys to come out and do their thing for the wildlife damage claim, wish they'd get on with it, few more days and I could bale some of to feed the cows on demand right now, be a bit before dry enough to bale or combine to keep though.
Then I saw this earlier this morning...and here we go again...that small brighter orange blob north of edmonton, guess where that is lol, **** me...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Was on my dirtbike staying on high ground in the field. I went over the hill to check a beaver dam in a tree'd run to find snow over a foot deep yet. My shoes on the footpegs were in the snow in one place. Snow all over on fencelines here yet. Frost is out 3" Long way to go but early for here yet. Supposed to be 18 and 20 in a couple days. May 10 or 15 is not uncommon for start date here. Just how we have to roll here!!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Things are late but surprising how much its dried up here recently, especially given how wet it was last fall already, but then as I have said elsewhere earlier, didn't actually have that terrible much snow this year. 99.9% of it is long gone.
Deer destroyed my oats, waiting the on the guys to come out and do their thing for the wildlife damage claim, wish they'd get on with it, few more days and I could bale some of to feed the cows on demand right now, be a bit before dry enough to bale or combine to keep though.
Then I saw this earlier this morning...and here we go again...that small brighter orange blob north of edmonton, guess where that is lol, **** me...
Don’t feel bad guess who lives we’re the orange blob is beside sask border.
Used hopper stopper on the bastards in the winter wheat last fall

Reactions: albertabuck

·
Registered
894 Posts
We are about 1/3 done. Currently seeding durum. Moisture is ok at the moment, but as usual in Southern Alberta it's drying out pretty quick.
Been stuck twice this year, seeding around sloughs. Not stuck bad, just real greasy mud where the tracks just spin out.
First year running a tracked tractor so testing the limits. I am now aware of those limits.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the bike across some fields today, will be at least a week yet I would think. RM had a plugged culvert on a backroad by my place, they dug the road out to let the water go, he hit frost about 8 inches down.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
There has to be frost in the ground still on at least parts of fields. Still water standing in unusual places where not normal, fields are almost wetter now than a couple weeks ago. My guess is nothing this week, maybe longer if weather is poor.

There is some crop in on select fields in the area, but nothing looks to be doing a good job and going around stuff. Lots of units stuck and lots of ruts!

I have some ground that looks like jcalder's photo, little concerned about how that's gonna dry out with all the trash covering surface. Starting to wonder about switching some corn acres out for other crops too, not sure when the cut-off happens for that quite yet.

There is some serious concern about how all these acres are gonna get in given almost zero fertilizer applied and supply chain is under-sized on a normal spring, let alone a late spring. Forecast not real great either. But it could turn and we could be staring down a drought in a few weeks time, who knows. Stay patient and get ready when we have our chance to go...

Reactions: Oat King and DDF

·
Banned
4,919 Posts
Talking of widespread frost here Friday night/Saturday morning, that could get pretty tough on really early soybeans that got planted and emerged, corn will get nipped but should be okay. Most crop in here but ridiculous temperature swings has it doing very little. Upper 70's to upper 30's with rain is hard on calves, treating/loosing to pneumonia. Getting old.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts