The Combine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Temps warming up.By weekend is real warm!!!
Soil temp was 13.1 yesterday..On fall fert canola stubble..
300 acres of Bly in...Most neighbors going hard..

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Started peas. There was lots of frost in ground when putting Edge down last week with cultivator so held off for a bit. Fields are dry enough. Another year going through low spots that any normal year would have water in them. Flax stubble pretty weedy with dandelions getting 10" around. Pea and mustard stubble not much growing yet so not going to spray yet.

Found this interesting. Put down Edge last spring here. Ran about 8 acres short and didn't want to go get 3 more bags to finish so left it. Great year last year for growing wild outs and volunteer barley on this field. Sprayed with Centurion in summer too to help control these issues including spot in picture. You can see the line where I left off putting Edge down diagonally.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
That's good to see that the edge was actually working! Most of the time I'm never quite sure if it's doing anything at all.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The 11 th of May was the latest start that I can remember we’ve had here. The soil was actually getting reasonable on the surface for using a disc drill, but it’s still soft underneath almost everywhere. There’s still quite a few frost boils that you just have to drive away from at this point. Most of the time you can detect where they will be by the appearance of the seeding job in the last pass. We had a small rain last night that will take a couple of days to get over. About 1000 acres of wheat are done in the first field that will still need about another day and half to finish it the way it’s cut up with boggy spots this year.

We moved the tractor off the drill and onto the pro till in anticipation of the impending wet spell yesterday evening, but I got a text an hour after I left there .....

“ Smoke white and black, no power. Bad sounds from secondary turbo “

“ Very hot in exhaust. Seen glowing red. I thought it was going to catch fire “

That turbo is still on it’s one year warranty hopefully. It would be nice if they can find what’s wearing or giving in there to allow contact.

BCBB84B2-A8A8-4326-BC7E-DAC8F4060E0D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Great to see you post on here again Haystack, your absence was noted by several and we even discussed it a bit ago, been more than a few of us missed you and were worried you may have left or that something had happened.
I was just typing the same thing.

No seed in the ground here yet. Harrowed a field couple days ago and 6/10" since then, so will be a couple days wait again. Kinda glad I haven't gone out and tested my luck, seems everyone has a story of being stuck or breaking a strap and nothing is growing so far.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
No, everything has been great here guys. I usually avoid the kind of threads that people butt heads over on here, I didn’t realize that the covid thread was going to turn into one of those. I also took it as an opportunity to get more people contributing some timeline content. Kevlar has a nice 2020 thread going here. I don’t think it will be another misery loves company thread like many were last fall.

There are some good warm days expected ahead, at least here in s/w Manitoba. I just hope we aren’t the epicentre of a new dust bowl from erasing last years ruts and holes with the new fangled ProTill. The only thing I know about it is how to fold it up, so not much else new to talk about this spring, unless we end up with a big engine swinging from a hook.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
We're going to give it a shot tomorrow. Brother is going to try putting 46 down on my home quarter, and if it's not bad I might follow behind sowing barley. Will be a few wet spots to go around, but not too bad. If weather is as nice as forecasted, should be able to keep going with a field drying up here and there. Still have a good day of combining to go yet, but where it is it needs a few good drying days. Might have this years canola in before we get last years canola off! It's getting close to it's birthday. Some guys around here have made a pretty good mess of what they have tried. We went through enough of those wet years to know that it's not worth trying to grow a crop in those conditions, and ruts take years to get rid of. Ground is still cold, haven't taken a temp yet, hope it will warm up quick with some sun and working it. Wanted to spray some, but nothing growing and can't wait forever and don't have the manpower to do everything at once. I should have taken a picture of our yard the other day, the seed cleaner showed up, we had all the spring equipment out, and we were combining that day as well, only thing not out was the sprayer, nothing like doing an entire years work in a few days!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Been seeding since Monday. Good moisture conditions but soil is cold. Maybe get back to combining later next week, ha!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
109 of peas today. Mud was sticking to the rubber packers at the start of the day but not terrible at the end.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
My thoughts too Torrie, think I posted a couple years ago that I wasn't sure Edge did well on wild oats. Wild oats are not a terrible issue here, a few recent years I have skipped the grassy weed control on barley. But last year was a tough year for any kind of weed control and I now have a different view of Edge.

I also posted in winter how Degelman factory had a huge inventory of Protills in their lot. Over a 100. All gone now except maybe 5. Never seen their factory have much inventory of complete units at all in my lifetime so was certainly unusual. Perhaps all presold and were just waiting on dealers to pick up for spring delivery.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Got fertilizer on on quarter today and started on another, got about 40 acres of barley in. Spring has been tough to say the least, but am very fortunate now. My dad said he had been having heartburn for a few weeks, then yesterday morning mom said he looked worse so she told him to go to the clinic and get checked out. They ended up keeping him in the hospital overnight for observation. This morning mom told me they were taking him to Winnipeg and he might need some stints put in, so he was on the verge of a heart attack, albeit a mild one. Turns out it was just a small blockage so I don't believe they had to put any stints in, and he was sent back to the local hospital tonight. Hopefully he can come home tomorrow. Not the way a guy wants to start off a year. Sure makes a guy see the mortality of man who he has always looked up to and felt was indestructable and would always be around. We were very fortunate that this didn't end in a worse way, and is a wake up call not only for him but myself to live a little bit healthier lifestyle.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
It was tough slugging here today, we had a new first stage turbo installed this morning along with a water valve for the HVAC system under the seat and a new coolant pump put on the engine this afternoon. The silly thing would suddenly go from normal temperature to 228 F in about 30 seconds to a minute. The upper rad hose was hot and the bottom one was cold. The steel hub started freewheeling in the plastic impeller. The good news was a Case tech was nearby and the New Holland shop 10 minutes away had the pump to fit. The seed truck was stuck twice, and the guy that was going to attempt to seed in the dark made it through a U turn on the headland and a hundred feet before hitting a little frost boil head on, which is where it’s sitting tonight. The highway is so bad near my place, air bags are going off in cars and writing them off, the nearby provincial road is open to local traffic only because of frost boils.

The good news is we have enough moisture to grow a bumper crop with one nice rain in August.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Maybe you're getting all the bad luck for the year out of the way in one day.

So... if the road is so rough its popping airbags why on earth aren't people slowing down?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Good point. That was a rather dumb question on my part. Probably goes like "speed limit is "x" so I can travel "x+5" and not get busted. Gee this road is rough." POOF " Airbag went off, this is someone fault."

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
So... if the road is so rough its popping airbags why on earth aren't people slowing down?
Because you need enough speed to make it through the frost boil.;)

I think we found a field dry enough to begin maybe Monday....whoopeeee!!!

61 - 80 of 142 Posts