The Combine Forum banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
We should finish our wheat tomorrow and move to oats on the following day and start on the canola Monday. Weather forcast for next Thursday in 15-20mm, hope to catch it and get breather, last couple of days we ran the seeder 20 hours each day.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Because you need enough speed to make it through the frost boil.;)

I think we found a field dry enough to begin maybe Monday....whoopeeee!!!
Wow, so you guys haven't even started down there yet? That's unbelievable that I'm going before most of southern Manitoba. We are generally one of the last areas to start. Even something more strange, we were the only ones getting fertilizer today from our supplier, they called to see if we were coming back for more because if not they were going to close early. We might be running out of dryish ground though, my brother moved to the next field we are going to put oats on and said it's pretty wet, might have to wait a day or two. Maybe we can go back combining! This must be what it's like for all you southern US farmers with your continuous growing seasons!!! lol

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
May you not have this forecast then
View attachment 159466
But it’s exactly what this area is looking for, seeding pretty much done.
Never trust an Environment Canada forecast, especially a weekend one.

I thought you were just harvesting....now done seeding??? ;)

Kevlar there is guys going around here, mostly on lighter land and I have seen some real messes being made. I think the panic button has been thoroughly pressed by more than a few. I guess I am prepared to push a little harder when things are better conditions instead of fighting twice as hard and wrecking fields and equipment now. Around here it's always in the back of your mind that we get a month of rain and miss our chance, it has happened before.

Not sure about Eastern MB, but in the SW it looks like corn acres will get slaughtered.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Should finish wheat tomorrow, gonna start planting beans today. That's a first for me, putting in beans before corn, but our wheat and canola stubble from last year are the only fields that are dry enough to drive on, not surprisingly our wheat and canola stubble are also the only fields we got deep tilled last fall.

Every time someone starts going on about zero till this is my argument and it's being proven in spades this year. These fields are 2 miles apart from each other and the pictures taken about half an hour apart, one field tilled last fall the other not.

It better stay hot and dry or that will never dry out in time to get a crop in.

·
Super Moderator
3,053 Posts
Never trust an Environment Canada forecast, especially a weekend one.

I thought you were just harvesting....now done seeding??? ;)
I was but while I harvested my renter was seeding not tied up by the harvesting.
Helps that the harvest happened on the 1/2 the was the last on the list to get seeded regardless of crop on it or not.

Normally would agree with your EC assessment but this appears to be a four day unsettled weather event Edmonton through Lethbridge (at least a 600 km swath) so a big system on it‘s way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
wheat all in here and should finish canola tomorrow still the odd sneaky frost spots tho. Fert retailers said yesterday between portage and Elie hardly a wheel turned

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I guess I am prepared to push a little harder when things are better conditions instead of fighting twice as hard and wrecking fields and equipment now. Around here it's always in the back of your mind that we get a month of rain and miss our chance, it has happened before.
Good thinking. After the mud and crap conditions we fought here last year everyone was pretty trigger happy to put a crop in early. April was cold, we all started planting when ground temp was below 50f. Then it got cold. Most corn looks OK but there are definitely some germination/emergence issues which will affect yields in those hybrids, will it be significant, hard to tell until the season progresses.

I told my agronomist the planters should have stayed in the shed another week or two but with near perfect soil conditions we put the crop in anyway, normally this would not be an issue but the cod caught us this time. Personally I think this crop is off to a slower/worse start then last years mud fest, but its got time to catch up now.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Got 500 of corn in the ground yesterday.
Might be a mistake? Crop wise.
Nothing is guaranteed on any given year, and it could very well be a great corn year if we get a nice warm summer and fall. I think everyone around here is remembering the blizzard of last October and harvesting corn into winter to finish, so typical over-reaction the other way as often happens. Personally I need a fall to get some drainage tuned up and fertilizer on. Jcalder is right about tillage making a difference on a spring like this, especially on heavier dirt. I don't think we need multiple heavy passes, but knifing in fertilizer is enough to make a difference here.

I think you put your corn in at the right time, it's warm now.(y)

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Kind of finished seeding here yesterday. The very first fields I seeded were very dry. Seeded chickpeas. Might have been to dry even seeded 3" deep. Most of the seeds have a small sprout then died. I think it is late for seeding more chickpeas and I am not putting that much money into seeding them again. Insurance will only pay $20/acre to reseed. Putting wheat on those fields. Oh wait, never mind. I haven't seeded that field yet. Just finishing up fairly soon here. Only a few more acres of wheat. Insurance is getting to be not worth getting when there are scenarios a person is better off never getting insurance in the first place. Should be rain coming tomorrow for a week straight. That will help my mood. :)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Finally finished 2019 harvest 🤪, tough slugging scraping crap off the ground. Glad it’s done , now can concentrate on seeding and getting fields prepared for the drill. Sounds like a week of showers and rain to slow things down.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Two days ago this hard working tractor developed a fairly sudden and serious decline in engine power along with some black smoke. I finally decided that the catalytic converter very likely needed to be changed out, since we had eliminated everyone else’s ideas on the possible causes. It has planted a lot of acres now, and the day had finally come to get some more exhaust out of this thing to make room for the air to get in. We gained 15 lbs. of intake boost, back up to the usual 60 psi.

Hells a popping now !

At 200 yards the exhaust now has that nice pneumatic sound, like a jet turbofan on take-off roll. It’s too bad engine systems have become so complex in recent years.
1F900F46-700D-4A0A-BC93-A3359E280A59.jpeg

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
It has an OEM take off unit on at the moment that was swapped on another tractor in a trouble shooting adventure ( I believe). I see a plasma cutter has been at the old one in the shop. Installing a truck muffler inside the insulated shell is being considered, at least for a backup. You sure wouldn’t want any exhaust note in this tractor, it isn’t very quiet when it’s doing it’s heavy work.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I can’t seem to get an iPhone to capture the real world sound just yet. When the tech and I had the DEF injector off from the stage II turbo on the U pipe going to the plugged catalyst with an open 2 inch hole in the pipe aimed directly at the windshield, I imagine it literally sounded something like tinkering on a jet plane while it’s running. The numbers on the laptop made us chuckle when we hit 10th gear with the drill in the ground. I do believe this engine will throw codes that are behind a firewall and will force you not to be an idiot though, and never tell you WHY.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Happy birthday to you! I sang to our canola today. Try it again tomorrow, maybe finally get it done!

81 - 100 of 143 Posts