The Combine Forum banner

101 - 120 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Here is something I have never seen in my life. Seeding today on some canola ground, pretty wet and hard, so obviously drill isn't doing a great job, but not bad. Finished up one part of the field, moved to the other side that is broken into 4 smaller fields, about 45 acres total, that was just combined recently, a little bit had been harvested a week or so ago. When I got to these fields, the drill is doing a worse job yet. Kept checking the depth, all over the place. Kept trying to find what was changing on the drill as the day went on, it's still sitting level, tires are all good. Thought maybe was getting out of level from front to back, but sometimes it was a front shank and rear shank beside each other seeding too deep, like 2-3 inches too deep. WTF???? Kind of wrote it off as being wet and hard as the culprit, but have seeded in worse conditions without this happening. Had me completely baffled. My brother had put 46 down yesterday with our old drill. I thought tire tracks? No, didn't seem to line up, combine tracks, nope.

As I was making a pass across the field, I noticed the tracks from the other tractor had sunk in more when he had crossed where the swathes had been. I thought " It looks like the tractor was driving over ridges". I noticed everywhere there had been a swath, it was 2-3 inches higher than between the swathes. That seemed weird, thought it must have been the combine sinking, it just looked like it was raised up. Then I noticed the tractor gently rolling side to side as I crossed the swathes on an angle. It wouldn't have been noticeable if the drill hadn't been making a poor job and I was trying to find out why. So what I'm wondering is if the swathes held the frost in the ground longer and is just coming out now causing the ground to heave where the swathes were? I know it sounds stupid, but it's clear as day now that I noticed it. On the hills where it's dryer it isn't doing it. As you go into the lower spots, it gets gradually worse. This was harder to find too because they are small fields and get swathed in different directions, if it had been in straight rows I might have picked up on it sooner. Has anyone else come across this? Or do I have an exhaust leak in the tractor? I even noticed after that the autosteer would compensate back and forth as I crossed the swathes. Have some more stuff we just combined, so will see if it's the same. Thinking I might harrow it before I sow it and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Nah I don't think you have an exhaust leak. I haven't been on any spring combined fields yet, but I have noticed the roads and culverts are similar. All the culverts have a low spot too them, even on the good roads. Not sure why every culvert has a dip to them, they all have been for many years. Never really seen that before.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Haystack- is it throwing a fault code because the fan is running on high all the time and not "cycling"? One of my Magnums will do that, code says fan is short to ground, either wiring harness or viscous fan drive failure but is intermittent. Can hit reset button on A post to clear fault from A post but shows back up every 15 minutes.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Haystack- is it throwing a fault code because the fan is running on high all the time and not "cycling"? Can hit reset button on A post to clear fault from A post but shows back up every 15 minutes.
Yeah that’s the code Captan, it’s consistently intermittent, but the good thing about my “Engine Good “code is it will last just as long as its sticky stuff, so it defeats that flashing b***h.

In fairness to the tractor, the radiator had got a bit dirty that day. It’s nice that they have a fan that can make the engine actually run colder than normal when it has a plugged radiator. I just don’t know why they call it an “Engine Fault” ? Probably because there’s no computer code written for “Dirty Radiator” “ Clean It Out Now Idiot”

This tractor had developed a distinctive turbo whistle of late. I just didn’t expect that it had been under enough heat and pressure to loosen the exhaust manifold bolts holding it on to the head. That part’s nice and quiet now, so I can hear the rear hydraulic pump whining its normal note again. The incinerating chunks of ceramic exiting that global warming burning barrel on the fender are a bit starling at times when they ding that 5 inch elbow on the top. Likely just an omen for one more bad day in our future. I see the boys in the shop got the old exhaust burner cleaned out with a post hole auger on the skid steer. So that will be an interesting day when we get that back on with my minimal baffle suggestion. At least it’ll be made to take apart again without plasma or fencing equipment.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I can cure most of your noise problems, it would help both of us out actually. You come help load pigs, it will destroy your hearing enough that background noise disappears then you can live in ignorant bliss like me.

Disclaimer: Repairs may be higher.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Have had a few run ins with this guy this year. First time was when we were combining, then a few days later near the yard, then today seeding. He's a pretty good size, don't think I will tangle with him! Thinking this is the same one that used to come onto my deck when it was a year old, and a lot smaller, about 4-5 years ago.

IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
Have a video if it but can't load it. The bear walked right past the front of the tractor, maybe 10 feet away, came around to the door and looked up at me. Wish I had taken some pics when it was that close. Tractor and air seeder fan both running, he could have cared less.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Seeding done. Nothing dramatic this season. Some issues with the cart that I will have to wait and see the effects as the crop comes up. I did have success finding a lost shackle, not much stops a disc but apparently shackles/clevis will. The thing is, the one in the picture is the second one for the season. Caught the old rusty one about 5 days earlier in the exact same method. And found a 6" pin punch wedged in against another seed boot while under drill taking off the shackle. The trifecta of lost things.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Seeding done. Nothing dramatic this season. Some issues with the cart that I will have to wait and see the effects as the crop comes up. I did have success finding a lost shackle, not much stops a disc but apparently shackles/clevis will. The thing is, the one in the picture is the second one for the season. Caught the old rusty one about 5 days earlier in the exact same method. And found a 6" pin punch wedged in against another seed boot while under drill taking off the shackle. The trifecta of lost things.
Must have been the year for finding lost things in the fields. Got myself a couple of shackles the same way too, plus other items. Should take a pic of one item and see if anyone here knows what it is. I'm thinking some sort of old blacksmith tool .

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Have had a few run ins with this guy this year. First time was when we were combining, then a few days later near the yard, then today seeding. He's a pretty good size, don't think I will tangle with him! Thinking this is the same one that used to come onto my deck when it was a year old, and a lot smaller, about 4-5 years ago.

View attachment 159588
View attachment 159589
Have a video if it but can't load it. The bear walked right past the front of the tractor, maybe 10 feet away, came around to the door and looked up at me. Wish I had taken some pics when it was that close. Tractor and air seeder fan both running, he could have cared less.
He's lucky he's not in my backyard lol, I only ever see the same bears a few times, some only once, rule is around here, you see bear, you shoot bear

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Well I’m getting really happy now! I’ve had my new “Faults” ready all day to prompt CASE to write some more computer code, but they haven’t needed to yet to keep that “Engine Fault” code away when that big old fan gets to whirling hard !
74B7E368-89D1-44D2-AE30-14C27489E647.jpeg

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Hmmm, a low of zero for tomorrow night, could be interesting. Glad we just started canola.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Well I’m getting really happy now! I’ve had my new “Faults” ready all day to prompt CASE to write some more computer code, but they haven’t needed to yet to keep that “Engine Fault” code away when that big old fan gets to whirling hard ! View attachment 159602
Maybe you should just be happy it's not flashing

YOUR FAULT!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hmmm, a low of zero for tomorrow night, could be interesting. Glad we just started canola.
Bah. I've had my sprayer freeze on Canada day. Fired it up and while it was agitating I tried checking my nozzles and... Nothing. Check my section valves and they're opening. Had 100psi and finally pulled a nozzle and wouldn't you know it, it was froze up.

The longest stretch was only 32 frost free days that year. Lol.

101 - 120 of 174 Posts