The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who does additions to stainless steel tanks in saskatchewan. Looking at expanding an 800 gallon deere tank to 1000.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I do know that a few years ago, soil tech stretched their 4730 to 1000gal. It was one of the first that I heard of doing it in the area and they went through the jd, so not sure who actually stretched the tank. It was also quite expensive for being one of the first.

·
Super Moderator
548 Posts
Probably goes without saying, but I'd definitely make sure you are not going to be needing your sprayer any time soon after you get them to do it, and that you have lots of time to test for leaks before next season.
There'd be nothing worse than having no tank when you need it.

·
Super Moderator
548 Posts
Eh, a lot of the time just for weight distribution, but most of the manufacturers base the 'marketed weight distribution' off an empty tank scenario.

That will definitely impact your weight.

As far as the manufacturer's making tanks specific sizes, it'd surprise you how many times they build a tank just a wee bit bigger than the other guys just for the extra 'We sell the biggest sprayer' kind of ads.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The only way to run effiecient in my mind is having tender guy haul water that way sprayer keeps going.
Tank size is not that important anymore .

·
Super Moderator
548 Posts
The only way to run effiecient in my mind is having tender guy haul water that way sprayer keeps going.
+1

Exactly right. Especially when ground compaction and getting stuck in wet years is an issue, adding more weight/volume to the sprayer usually won't save you time. (i.e. might save you time, but if you get stuck for 2 hours, well that probably writes off the time you would have saved in filling a smaller tank)

One of the things I've been seeing is guys drilling low flow wells central to a few fields, and just have float to shut it off when full. Pretty slick to have a 4,000 US+ gallon water tank ready for filling whenever you need it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely agree with what you have to say. I can carry more than enough water and chemical to keep me busy for the day and have most of my land in 1000 acre blocks. Where my issue is, I'm a one man operation during spraying season and cover 18,000 to 20,000 acres on any given crop year. I've got a couple smaller fields off on their own, and would like to be able to load up and go spray without having to move a tender truck as well. Most of the time I'm actually only carrying 600 gallons because of compaction concerns. Basically need the extra capacity for only 10% of the time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The only reason need the bigger 1200gal tank on 4940 is to make a full round doing 28-0-0 in spring. I would love to set up a 47 with 130' booms, big floaters (900's or bigger) and maybe an expanded tank but fertilizing screws that up.
Most chems are packaged for 40ac/case so 80 acre batches work nice.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
For me a bigger tank is a big time saver. Most of the time I am alone when spraying and fills are time wasters. It is more efficient for me to fill 1600 gallons and less often than to have couple more fills each time I spray because of a smaller tank.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can't even imagine trying to drive a 1600 gal sprayer around in my fields. I have sprayed some no till fields and I can understand how guys can do it but in our land that compaction would show up next year in long yellow strips.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Getting back to the OP's question of where to go - Since your location is NE SK, have you talked to Nykolaishen's in Kamsack? They stretch lots of JD tanks.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
To go from 1200 gallon to 1600 gallons is just over 3000 lbs. if a person is concerned about weight then buy a case sprayer rather than a Deere or Miller which have well over 3000lbs more weight to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Haha. Think you hit a sore spot there. lol
Not really, if that what it takes for structure to support the larger tanks thems the hazards.
No way to directly compare when only one is offering that large a tank stock.

Like adding hopper extensions on a combine you're on your own frame/component strength wise when you stretch a sprayer tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts