The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin at puttin in a new grain facility. Need 60-80,000 bushel capacity. Looking for any info and advice on brands, options, etc. I've been using a neighbors facility for the last couple years. He has several small (10000 bu and smaller) bins with elevator and dump pit so that's all the experience I have. What's the best and/or cheapest loading and unloading system. Looking at movable augers, loop system, or possibly air delivery. What about bin sweeps? What does the best cleaning job? Can I get just one that I can move from bin to bin? I need plenty of advice and tips from those of you who have designed one. I want to get this right the first time and not wish I had done something different. I have access to 3-phase electricity. What brand makes the best, most reliable equipment? I like the idea of the loop system but I don't like the idea of one LONG chain that will have to be replaced eventually. Also are there any dealers in and around west TN that you would recommend me getting a bid from. Also, approximately what's a decent cost/bushel that I should expect. I don't need a drier, so that's not a concern. I'm looking for the best and cheapest route but I don't mind spending a little extra if it's worth it in the long run. Thanks to everyone in advance. Matt

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Can't say I know much, but definitely interested in learning more.

One thing I do like the idea of is drive-over portable pits. Can move them almost anywhere, no permanent structures. Would you put in a scale at all?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to have to put in a scale too. Have to do that so I can keep track of landlord shares. Yield monitor isn't accurate enough

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not only is replacing the chain on a loop system a concern , so is the chain breaking .

The biggest advice I can offer anyone considering starting from scratch is make sure there is room . Room to pull out augers, room to set up "extra" equipment, room to maneuver whatever you might have a reasonable need to move around in there .

For example you mentioned a sweep auger that is moved from bin to bin , I was having to move a sweep auger for a 42ft bin and 5 horse motor by myself. The easy way to do it , pull the motor and drag the auger onto a hayrack since the sweep auger itself is a handful BUT one of the bins had its door turned too much toward the next bin so the hayrack didn't work well on that bin.

Another thing is to think through the processes that will have to happen . We had an overhead load-out that sat toward the back of our facility . The only way to load from the 42' bins was with a 25' 10'' auger that fed the swing around on the leg. It crossed the driveway and blocked access to the overhead for the trucks . So, it was load two loads then break down he auger set up , load two trucks and reset the augers. Royal pain . If the overhead had been set 45 feet forward the leg pipe would have reached it easily and we could have left the auger set up and running .

·
Registered
977 Posts
robmgrig
we have been using a hutch chain loop for 4 years now it has worked flawlessly , we do read the books and maintain it accordingly. we use a Brandt drive over belt into a brandt 20110 conveyor for receiving into a 21 ' dia 10 ring westeel hopper bin which is both our wet bin to feed the dryer and our shipping bin during the non drying season. We use the loop to handle the dry side of the dryer as well as bring grain back to the wet/shippng bin. it is a 10" system which runs close to 6000 bu / hr . Our dry bins are either 48' x 9 Ring (55,000 Bu) and 36' x 8 Ring (28,000 bu)
Our 48's have 2 fans 15 hp each and our 36's have 1 @ 10 hp fan.
we have a 2 speed motor on our loop , so when we are drying it runs 1/2 speed and approx 3000 bu /hr and then full speed when we move grain around. The Brandt drive over is Hyd drive and the Brandt 20110 is PTO
drive which is run off the same 75 hp tractor , we can recieve at close to 12,000 bu /hr, our loop is 278' long and 64' tall it has two 30 hp motors 1 on each top corner it will alow us to add another 2 bins in the line without having to upgrade the drives.The wet/shipping bin is inline with the 48's with the bottom run of the loop running thru the 48's , that way we have no unload augers in the 48's just an electric sweep , the 36's have unload augers coming over to the loop, the loop typically handles 400-500,000 bu / year at 1/2 speed from the dryer and than another 600-700,000 bu / yr on the shipping of grain at full speed. It looks like we will get this season on the original chain but we will probably buy a new chain assembly before corn harvest 2011, we were going to put a new assembly in before this season but the dealer feels we'll have no problem getting another season out of it.( replacement chain and paddles are quite costly)
I agree with marlands , make sure you give yourself enough room to work and expand.
Moving sweep augers is a pain in the butt , we leave our sweeps in each bin I'm finding as I get older that the access doors into the bins are shrinking every year and the augers are getting heavier.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone have any experience with the air delivery systems? Pros/cons? I know elbows are the main wear points and they can be expensive to replace

·
Registered
475 Posts
Pics! We need pics! Show us pictures of your setups, it makes the descriptions much easier to understand.

·
Registered
977 Posts
robmgrig
We had a 50hp konskilde 6" pnuematic system that we used to load our dryer and move grain around , we out grew it a couple of years ago, I would say it worked OK but it took a 50HP 3500rpm motor to run it . and it would move about 45 MT/hr of wet corn to our dryer which at that time was 38' tall , it would run approx 55 -60 Mt of dry , we found that the automatic air regulator was a must if you wanted to control cracks in the grain, If you are moving a long distance you may want to look at the specs real close. We found that the lines had to be either horizontal or vertical not on an angle for any distance or you will end up with problems (Plugging or low capacity)
Basically High HP for not a large capacity , but they do work,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts