The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a 9610 and am pleased with it. Will be buying another combine for this summers wheat harvest and would like a rotary. The problem is I cant afford a 9660 which would be my choice of Deere's. I am considering a C-IH 2388. Will I regret getting away from Deere? Will cut wheat only with average yields around 40 bu/acre.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Honestly there is nothing wrong with a red combine, what it comes down to is service & parts, which is better... for the price of a deere rotor vs. getting into a red combine the red is easier to pencil out but what's parts & service worth? Also you have to figure in the price of new headers for the case vs. your old 900 series for the Deere. What fits you?

·
Registered
590 Posts
If I understand your post, you want to add a machine, not trade the 9610. If you want rotary, the 2388 for your conditions will be hard to beat. It looks like you have budgeted around $150,000 for the machine, which is why the 9660 is out of range. Did you consider a 9560? I know they are hard to find in the high plains.

If you have good dealer support, which you should have in SW Oklahoma, the 2388 would be my first choicefor a rotary in wheat. The red underwear guys are giving you some good input, buy don't buy into the 7010 deal for 40 bushel wheat. You will have a hard time keeping the 2388 full.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bent, I have been leasing a 9660 STS and have been impressed with its capacity, the quality of the grain in the tank, and the low amount of grain loss. Also tired of the maintenance issues with the straw walkers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tractor8100, Yes I am keeping the 9610 just adding a machine. I have never seen a 9560 in my area. Other thought is to trade the 9610 w/30' rigid head for a 9660 with a 36' draper or 2388 with 36' draper but will more than likely go with plan A and add one more combine. Just think two machines are probably better than one in my situation.

·
Registered
590 Posts
mcpi,

Ah, the plot thickens. Now that you let the cat out of the bag that you leased a 9660 last year, I have to withdraw my recommendation that a 2388 would be first choice. I have run a 2388 in wheat and it was great, but that was 9.5 years ago. I have no idea how a 9660 sts compares as I have no experience with STS and later model 2388s. You sound like you were pleased with the 9660.

Can you lease a 2388 from a local dealer and see if you are happy with it? I would not want to spend that kind of money and then hit myself on the side of the head and say I should have had a V-8 (sts).

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Green IMO are more user friendly and easier, more enjoyable to run. I have 2 problems with the 2388s, they have too short of an auger and they burn through rotor belts. 6 in a season according to a friend of mine. Other than that I think the 23s do an pretty good job of threshing and separating.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:Green IMO are more user friendly and easier, more enjoyable to run. I have 2 problems with the 2388s, they have too short of an auger and they burn through rotor belts. 6 in a season according to a friend of mine. Other than that I think the 23s do an pretty good job of threshing and separating.
If he went through six belts in a season it was not being installed properly or there is a operator issue!
I have never heard of anyone going through belts that fast. We usually have to replace them between 850 to 1250 hrs. We ran ours in wheat, corn, beans and milo. I push it pretty hard in 180-220 bushel corn and never had any problems.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the rotor belt on an 88 when it is cold in the morning should seem loose not falling off loose but not snug at all. If one were to put the belt on and tighten it up pretty snug it would work....for a while but they wouldn't last nowhere near as long as they can. when all else fails revert to the manual. Augers can be extended (a must on our last green one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Kansascutter and operaider are right. In 28 years of running axial flows I have only shredded one rotor belt. That was on a 1480 and it was due to the ramp on the torque sensing unit having a worn spot on it. Otherwise have run belts up to 1,000 hours. If belt is properly adjusted, and torque sensing unit is greased, cleaned periodically and spring is keeping proper tension only operator error (i.e. slugging) is the cause. One thing, at the end of the season, slow rotor down all the way. This takes tension off belt and spring during the off season.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I know a guy that had a TR99 that shredded a rotor belt evry 2 days or so. Turns out one of the rotor pulleys was pitted with rust and shedding the belt all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Quote:Green IMO are more user friendly and easier, more enjoyable to run. I have 2 problems with the 2388s, they have too short of an auger and they burn through rotor belts. 6 in a season according to a friend of mine. Other than that I think the 23s do an pretty good job of threshing and separating.
If he went through six belts in a season it was not being installed properly or there is a operator issue!
I have never heard of anyone going through belts that fast. We usually have to replace them between 850 to 1250 hrs. We ran ours in wheat, corn, beans and milo. I push it pretty hard in 180-220 bushel corn and never had any problems.

The belts were installed by the dealer so I dunno. The same guy tried a 9860 premium in Oats and it was doing the same work that his 2 2388s were doing. He liked it so much now he rollin with two 9770s for 2008.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I demoed an 8010 and a 9660 last fall, now granted our crop and conditions are somewhat unique but the 9660 was the one we bought. We run em in Alfalfa Seed, Corn and Wheat. We couldn't make the 8010 work in A. Seed at all. The 8010 was also demoed by another large A. Seed grower in the area and they couldn't make it work either. Anyway we took delivery of the 9660 yesterday, its a new to us (80 sep hour 2007 model).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
LOL rotor belts.. I love that subject

one farm had several ih's and all they did was complain about breaking rotor belts.... finally the deer guys were so happy and had alot of fun with that info and they finally asked my boss how many had he broke and at this point he had the same combine for atleast 8 years and he broke one...did it in the last harvest.

Belive it or not.....its not always the combines fault

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I doubt it did the same work as two 2388's

but if you make that investment and you believe it then good for you.

should have bought 2 draper heads for the 2388's

alot cheaper and you would get alot more done.

In my opinion

(also i mean that on any brand...i doubt any class 8 or 9 combines could out cut any (2) class 6 combines.

not just deere..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
In our area at least the decent used combine/tractor/sprayer market is HIGH! I think this is due to the fact that you can't get a new combine until sometime in 2009, and allot of these growers have been Fix Or Repair Daily on there machines because until the last couple years they have not been healed up enough to upgrade. So now that they have a little extra cash they are aggressively trading up so anything that is fairly low hour and is in good shape is going high and fast.

I know for us we tried to trade a Wilmar 7200 ranger in last year this time and the highest trade in price we could get was $40K this spring we hit them up again and they handed us $50K without a hassle. This is good for me because I only paid $60k for it 5 years ago.

Anyway allot of guys in our area that are "bargin hunting" are going to end up patching again this year because they can't find a combine in the price range they are willing to pay.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts