The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 9610 and am pleased with it. Will be buying another combine for this summers wheat harvest and would like a rotary. The problem is I cant afford a 9660 which would be my choice of Deere's. I am considering a C-IH 2388. Will I regret getting away from Deere? Will cut wheat only with average yields around 40 bu/acre.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
i have some family that run 9610's and they like them but they are die hard green.. The always seem to have alot more issues and problems than we ever do with our 2388's.

I can gurantee you will be happy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just went from 9510 to 2388 with draper should be on Americas Funniest home videos some time this fall.

·
Registered
380 Posts
To answer your question better in 40 bushel wheat with a 30-36foot header I'd say you will be runnin 5.5-7mph all day long. I'd go for an afx or a st rotor above anything else. 2388 is neck and neck with 9660-9760 and they are a lot more affordable. Probably the most common combine among custom harvesters. the machine itself isn't ridiculously large but it has large capacity make sure it has bin ext's. And get the monitor too. If it's programmed right it will be within 3/4 of a point on moisture. If not closer. A 9610 and a 2388 are too way different machines. It is a lot bigger job to change concaves and grates on the green one. The 88 has a lot bigger cleaning system. And the grain quality is hard to compare with. I could go on and on pm me for more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I do go with the 2388 what is the ideal rotor for wheat? Standard, specialty, or AFX? Also the best combination of the concaves/grates.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the afx is an animal in wheat but they say the rice rotor (small tube) is the only way if you are going to be in tough conditions a lot. either of those two will perform just fine for you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There are bugs with every machine out there. I've seen a brand new 9660 start blowing up hydraulic components and by the time it got fixed it was damaged goods for the rest of its existence. Those horror stories aren't brand specific however CNH machines are hard to beat when they are performing properly.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I would recommend the specialty rotor with gordon rotor bars on the front, kile mfg rotor kit for the afx style, and cover plates on the front half of concaves if needed. I am looking forward to trying the gordon wheat sieves, as I was happy with the soybean sieves from him. Good luck. These are the add-ons I have and am very happy, but even a factory 2388 will do a good job.

·
Registered
188 Posts
operaider your right if they were reliable there is nothing better to operate than an 8010. good cab, quiet clean lots of capacity and everytime I started feeling good then the alarm would sound, I went to feild wandering what next,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Farmer Tony I can make that statement from personal experience and documented breakdowns on 2 8010's a 2003 and 2005 model. But Iam sure that CNH has all the bugs worked out of the new ones thats what they told me to get me to trade to the 2005 instead of giving me our money back. but it was worse if anything. I guess it did quit catching on fire everyday. The spreader is the same junk. electronics are the same, control pressure failure?? you can go on and on there was always something.

·
Registered
188 Posts
9010 you are so wrong the 2003's caught on fire all the time, case built it who's fault was it??? do you build them???

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Just went from 9510 to 2388 with draper should be on Americas Funniest home videos some time this fall.??????

Im lost.... so the 9510 is alot better than a 2388??

·
Registered
17 Posts
We could all argue all day long about how much better green is than red or the other way around. I prefer deeres over the 2388's based on the length of the feeder house. 2388's are very dependable and not that hard to work on, but if your used to a deere that short feederhouse will cause a few fatigued days for you until a person get used to it. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't imply JD is better just that this is the first Case combine and first draper we have owned so we will probably do some dumb things this year.

·
Registered
188 Posts
9010 I see your from Grand Island I went on the tour when my 1'st 8010 came off the line. I also had the prototype run when they were developing 8010. Grand Island is why I thought you might build them. We had an engineer here from GI when it was on fire it happened at least once a day. they did redesign airflow and the 05 never did it. but his question was about 2388. They are a great machine and most dealerships can fix them. we had 3 of them. They don't have as much capacity as 9660 in dry corn but we never ran against 9660 in wheat so i would not know. 2388's are cheaper than deere also. proabably a good choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A 2388 will fit your operation extremely well I think. We are extremely pleased with the way ours has performed.

Cutting 110bpa winter wheat at 3.5mph. Even producing great straw quality as you can see by that solid bale.

Not to mention a clean sample in the tank.

Warren

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why I am changing from green to red
First is handling green stem beans and tough wheat straw. We double crop about all our beans so we are always trying to cut wheat about 3 days before it is ready so bunching is a real problem same with green stem beans so we are changing to draper to try to get a better feed.
I also wanted to try a Red machine I liked what I saw when I rode in one.
And last we have the worlds worst Green dealer in this area.
I don't think Green equipment is junk they make good stuff I just thought they were second place in what I needed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
jdm going to an sts would also given you a huge improvement in your green stem beans. Seems like everyon new the STS would be an improvement in corn over the conventional, but for me there was a bigger improvement in the handleing the green stem beans that we have all come to love. IMO the sts is maybe better than the AFX rotor for beans but the small tube i think will tilt it back to red. No matter what colot the draper will make it better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts