The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 John Deere 9530 four wheel drive, During maintenance this spring I found almost a handful of steel filings in the front differential. It is a well cared for unit andwas wondering what caused the bearings to go. Was never low on oil and Never pulled a scraper. Tranny and back diff was clean. Diff job is costly around 14-16 grand. Yikes! Just wondering if any one else had this problem. Was not a nice way to start the spring, but least i caught before seeding.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I have a 2008 John Deere 9530 four wheel drive, During maintenance this spring I found almost a handful of steel filings in the front differential. It is a well cared for unit andwas wondering what caused the bearings to go. Was never low on oil and Never pulled a scraper. Tranny and back diff was clean. Diff job is costly around 14-16 grand. Yikes! Just wondering if any one else had this problem. Was not a nice way to start the spring, but least i caught before seeding.
We've had the pinion shaft come loose on both our 8970 and 9400 on the front diff. That might be your problem?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Why does replying on my tablet always come back as a quote?
Have no idea how the site looks on anything but laptop, but I suspect you are using the "reply" button directly under the post, that has now become the single quote button, the "quote" button is for multiple quoting. Scroll down further below last post, there should be a box that says "write your reply here" or something close to that.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Thank you AB, I see what you mean. Multipost is kinda cool if it works 👍

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Thank you AB, I see what you mean. Multipost is kinda cool if it works 👍
No prob and I'm still trying to figure out some of the new features myself lol
I do know that multi quote thing makes it super easy now to quote multiple posts from multiple threads if one desires.
Good you have you back, not much of the old crowd on here anymore.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Thanks AB. Yeah, it's been a bit alright. I thought I'd take a break for awhile plus been real busy.

It's interesting to see some are changing their views as time moves on. You guys are a good group 👍

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Oh man.
Here I thought the "green" ones were made a little better.
I must really be in the past 14-16k is big jingles.
I do remember some basic re bearing jobs on the front axle might have run $4k back in the early 1990s and a Major disaster when the wheels essentially screwed them selves out of the front axle maybe $ 8 or 9k.
Waayy back when the labour rate was maybe $50/hr LOL

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Manual says to change the diff oil when changing the transmission oil. I think that's every 1200 hours, but could be wrong. I'll find out in a few days when I service the tractors. The differentials are connected to the transmission reservoir somehow. We've done it at least twice to our 9220 since it was new. It's been a while since I last did it (didn't notice any filings), but if I recall, there's a procedure in the manual for filling that involves running the tractor until it pumps oil through to the differentials up to a certain level (after manually filling of course).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I dont think many guys change diff oil. Always checked it though. Is the wheel weights to blame? There is a lot of weight on the axil.
I don't know if wheel weights cause the failures.
Experience has shown it is almost always the front diff unit that fails first.
I blame tractor weighting always being heavier on the front.
I got called out on this site when I suggested these 4wd tractors are weighted wrong and should be weighted 50/50 front/rear pulling floating hitch implements.
The experts all said there is weight transfer to the rear axle due to pull regardless.
I'd like them to explain that after they pay the $16k repair bill.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have a 9530 with about 1500hrs on it only does about 200hrs a year as a seeding tractor. Dealer did some final drive oil tests and they came back high for metal ( nothing abnormal on drain plugs) . We got them to remove the duals and do some manual preload test that all came back well inside tolerances. Dealer suggested we change filters and run 2 seasons and check oils and preloads again, I think we will be up for rebuilds at some stage and will do it because it's great tractor just a bit disappointed considering the low hrs ( lots of weights on it)

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Simple physics would seem to indicate that if the drawbar is below the axles (which it is), drawbar pulling will definitely pull the front end down with the rear axle acting as a fulcrum. Sure it would load the rear axle too, but it definitely would load the front axle. Between this loading force and the fact that most tractors weigh more up front, I'm not surprised the front axles would show wear first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts